PDA

View Full Version : Removing Interior

zel05
17-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Hey guys...This question is probably going to relate more so to Qld then anywhere else.

For those that have removed the rear seats of there car...what did you have to do to get it all clear with queensland transport and stuff so that you didn't need to worry about popo or anything.

I have been told by someone that you need to get it modplated...however, i don't think this is right. Obviously you need to inform QT that you have removed the rear seats, thus making the car a 2 seater rather then 4/5 seats. But is there anything further you have to do? Ie. remove the seat belts etc?

thanks guys

egSi
17-01-2007, 09:58 AM
my philosphy, dont get caught.

last time i got pulled over, they either dont notice(it was dark) or i lied telling them i had an old battery in the boot which tipped over and wrecked all my interior and im gettin it fixed/retrimmed :p :thumbsup:

im sure u can get it mod plated tho, i really should do mine :o

zel05
17-01-2007, 10:05 AM
lmao...

yeah i "could" go the innocent, "oh i didn't know" route...But just trying to save hassles i guess.

I'm kinda surprised though that a mod plate is required for it. I think i would rather save the $80 and get it done when i need other things modplated...

Speaking of modplating...I have one for the engine, gearbox and seats...they can't just add this one onto the original modplate...(done in 2004)...i assume they need to do up another one...I don't want a modplate engine bay, so i think i'll wait an do a bulk engineering session...lol

P.S. Im in the process of trying to swap my interior for a pair of ek9 recaros...muhahaha

egSi
17-01-2007, 10:28 AM
quite honestly man i have been meaning to 'legit my shit' for ages, about 12months and i have never got around too it or looked real hard into it. :thumbdwn:

if u make some progress plz let me know, u get my m bout this weekend too?

zel05
17-01-2007, 10:36 AM
nah didn't get your message man...Probably on its way still?

Eclipsor
17-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah they have to make a new modplate. I've already got three in my bay. Kinda sux because they're ugly.

If you want details for an engineer I can have a look tonight when I get home. He did my drivers seat. Over at Stafford. Dunno if he was good or cheap or whatever but I found them pretty hard to find.

The engineer informs qld transport of the mod plate. But I think you'd probably need to get it re-registered. Which would probably also mean getting a safety cert. Seems like all a bit of a pain in the ass. Esp if you change your mind.

zel05
17-01-2007, 11:53 AM
yeah thats definately true...

Hmmm...might go with trav's idea and inform the officer that battery acid ruined my seats and they are off to be trimmed...lol

Evaded
17-01-2007, 04:25 PM
I was the one that informed you about the Mod Plate:p .

Also no it does not need to be re-registered you just need to go into QLD transport to inform them of the change of seating capacity. I think they also supply you with a new rego sticker. Im not quite sure on the exact process once you have informed QT.

I looked into it a couple of weeks ago as I plan on doing the same thing but my insurance company won't cover me unless I have it all approved. Thus having to get it mod plated:(

zel05
17-01-2007, 04:30 PM
hehe...i feel silly now..

It's not that i didn't believe you...I just needed a second opinion...

However...the whole not having to re rego and new saftey certificate sounds promising...i like that part of it...

Evaded
17-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Haha your alright I do the exact same thing when I ask for information. Best thing to do is speak to QT.

I know they can quite often get things wrong but when it comes to removing of rear seats it is a fairly easy practice so they shouldn't have any difficulties in informng you.

With the rego and safety cert I may not be 100% right on that so check with QT but that is what I managed to summise from them unless they forgot some information.

zel05
17-01-2007, 04:44 PM
hmm ok...I will have a quick squiz on the website and see if i can find something there...Failing that, i can pop into a QT and ask...however, like you said, don't think i will get a straight answer there either.

Eclipsor: I might need a number from you for one of these engineers...It might be best to have a chat to one of those guys and see what they can do...

Granted all this is on the condition that this person wants to swap my interior for his recaros...lol

zel05
17-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Well funnily enough, it took about two seconds to find the information i wanted on the QT website...lmao

here is the link for those that might be interested

Linky Linky (http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/ReferenceLookup/VSI_L_5.0_Permanent_and_temporary_removal_of_seats _from_light_motor_vehicles.pdf/$file/VSI_L_5.0_Permanent_and_temporary_removal_of_seats _from_light_motor_vehicles.pdf)

I shall transpose some of the relevant stuff in there

For Vehicles fitted with bolt in seating structures, no approval by an Approved Person is necessary for the temporary removal of seats, provided the category of the vehicle does not change as a result of the seating reduction

Only part of that i dont get is the "category change" bit... It is still a light vehicle...hmm

Another part

Vehicles with the permanent removal of seating structures must be approved by an Approved Person and a Modification Plate must be fitted for the reduction in seatin capacity.

In this circumstance, and change in the vehicle category must also be taken into consideration proir to the fitting of the Modification Plate.

The vehicle operator's insurance company and Queensland Transport should be advised of relative changes to the vehicle.

NOTE: For the purposed of this policy, "permanent" means the seats are removed for an indefinite period or not expected to be refitted.

It then goes on to say that defect notices can be issued by Transport Inspectors as well as Police Officers if the above conditions are not met.

So, after all that...It might just be better to take the rear seats out...keep the seat belts in, and say it is a temporary removal of the rear seats...That will keep you out of trouble. Unless ofcourse, the "category change" thing is an issue bigger then what i am thinking...