PDA

View Full Version : Steering on an EF8

Dylanamus
17-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Was just looking in the EF Supplement Manual and couldn't find anything on steering, so can someone who is certain please confirm for me that this definitely means that the locally available ED CRX Power Steering assembly is the exact same as the assembly in my JDM EF8?

I would also like to know if there are any other model Hondas that share this Steering Assembly...

I'm going to get my steering inspected and assessed and I fear the worst... so I would love to be able to order any parts I may need myself as I may want aftermarket bushings etc

Speaking of which, are there any aftermarket tie rod ends that suit my assembly? Or any other parts of the Steering Assembly I could consider looking for aftermarket replacements?

My goal is to achive a solid, precise and responsive steering feel that I can feel confident with on the track at reasonable speeds. And yes, for now I will be keeping the Power Steering, so my goals fall within the limitations of this factor.

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

ECU-MAN
18-01-2007, 04:58 PM
racks are the same, but the tie rods are not

high pressure piping is different for pump.

you can reuse the low pressure tubes

Dylanamus
18-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi ECU-MAN... So the PS pump lines are different and the tie rods are different?

So if I need new tie rods, I'm going to have to hunt around for JDM EF8 ones?

ECU-MAN
18-01-2007, 08:06 PM
yes if you need new tie rod ends for an ef8 you have to use ef8 or ef9, ed or ef6 will no work, they have smaller hubs.

D series power stearing piping is different, you can use the low pressure lines but the hight pressure wornt work

Dylanamus
19-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Thank you for the information, Mr MAN.

Is there anything I can do to make the steering response even tighter than stock? Other than hard coilovers, stiff swaybar, struts, leight weight rims and good tyres (which I have already done)?

Dxs
19-01-2007, 11:30 AM
I also hear that the local DA teg is the same rack..
but this is unconfirmed

Dylanamus
23-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Car is at the TruTrack workshop in North Melbourne right now. Ralph is doing an assessment for me... So I'll post again once he tells me what he thinks is wrong.

Dylanamus
25-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Ok from the top of my head, the assessment is:
Worn steering column pinion
Worn tie end rods
Worn front engine mount (that explains a number of other issues too).
Poor alignment and balance

Now.. what I want to know is if I'm replacing the entire steering rack.. can I get a NON-power steering one with close ratios (ie 120 degrees full lock). If I'm replacing it, I would love to upgrade it in this way. Anyone know anything? Can racks be custom built or altered or something?