PDA

View Full Version : Replacing EK gear shift bush

civic-dream
19-01-2007, 01:12 PM
:wave:
Hi guys,

Coz my gear stick has alot of left to right play even when in gear i went
to my honda parts shop and they gave me a rubber bush about 4cm in diameter and two little thin plastic bushes about a 3x smaller...

Is it hard to replace these parts myself? or should i goto a mechanic to save the trouble coz i don't have jack stands or many tools besides screwdrivers and a shift spanner?

do u have need to go underneath the car to replace these bushes?

any help??

bigjo5
19-01-2007, 06:55 PM
well according to you u only have screw drivers and shift spanners... and u wont even need screw drivers lol.. so i think u should just take it to a mechanic to change it for u ol.. u will need a socket set 12mm and 10mm and a uni adaptor, a ratchet and also the tool to punch out the pin that connects ur gear selector. then u just tkae off the whole shifter and linkage bar or what ever the two bars connected to the gear box off.. and from there just spot the obvious and swap over the rubber.

ekhybrid
20-01-2007, 01:56 PM
dont forget the rubber grease lol

tune2look
21-01-2007, 11:06 AM
I've got the urethane bushing and still didnt fix the problem you are having.
Only the shift became more routed to each gears.

civic-dream
21-01-2007, 09:37 PM
well i'll be partly satisfied if my gear changes are more direct at least...

so if replacing the bushes doesn't solve my problem then any suggestions
on how to fix it??

vtecbrad
21-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Get A B&M Short Shift kit, My Shifter When Changing From 3rd to 4th For Example is the equvilant to the old shifter shifting from 3rd to Neutral,
Is supposed to be a 54% shift reduction, doesnt have a sloppy feel, not much left to right play in mine, i love it, its also very easy to install yourself, very easy to change gears,

tune2look
22-01-2007, 11:56 PM
its like 25 bucks and easy to install.
just give it a go~
ask yonas @jdm yard about it!

civic-dream
23-01-2007, 12:44 PM
its like 25 bucks and easy to install.
just give it a go~
ask yonas @jdm yard about it!

the short shift kit is only 25 bucks? that's pretty damn cheap?

ekhybrid
23-01-2007, 12:53 PM
the short shift kit is only 25 bucks? that's pretty damn cheap?

no he means the shifter bushings

Menzy
23-01-2007, 01:23 PM
i got my B&M short shifter with new bushings and greaser for $90
did it my self, very simple dyi and took about 1hour hehe, just make sure you lift the car both ways and dont use the jacks as its dangerous ...
pretty straight forward and you will love it hehehe :D i know i do:P lol

hope this helps

vinnY
23-01-2007, 01:29 PM
i found huge amounts of play with my stock ek4 shift linkage
swapped it for an ek9 one and its made a world of difference
fair bit stiffer than then stock one but you'll get used to it
its also a dual bend shifter so its closer to you

this only applies to an ek4 though, if you have a d series engine in your car then i guess the short shifter will have to do

tune2look
24-01-2007, 12:06 AM
i got my B&M short shifter with new bushings and greaser for $90
did it my self, very simple dyi and took about 1hour hehe, just make sure you lift the car both ways and dont use the jacks as its dangerous ...
pretty straight forward and you will love it hehehe :D i know i do:P lol

hope this helps

The bushing you are refering to is on the shifter it self i think. (unless it was a total bargain!!)
One I got is the bushings for the linkage.
Remember, linkage is the actual component that changes gear according to positions that we give by 'shifting'.
When linkage bushings are worn, at each shifting action, the linkage will not be able to hold itself to proper position, instead it will move towards anywhere the shifter is leading to... very slightly I guess....
This will cause your shifter loose its 'track'.

Menzy
24-01-2007, 12:17 PM
im trying to remember what i saw when i was under the car ...
im talking about the bushings on the actual shifter... (mine was orange btw) lol
im guessing the ones your talking about are on the other end of the shift linkage.

but for me after installing the short shifter, it does stiffen up the shifter alot than what it was on stock.

civic-dream
24-01-2007, 04:59 PM
does anyone have the parts diagram for the shift linkage?.. i'm trying to look for it so i can confirm with u guys i got the correct bushing to stop left-right play... hmmm i'll try find it from hondahookup.com

civic-dream
24-01-2007, 06:42 PM
im trying to remember what i saw when i was under the car ...
im talking about the bushings on the actual shifter... (mine was orange btw) lol
im guessing the ones your talking about are on the other end of the shift linkage.

but for me after installing the short shifter, it does stiffen up the shifter alot than what it was on stock.

hey ... i just checked the honda manual, the bushing i was given was the 'extension end bushing', which is located on the other end of the shift linkage too... the hole through the bushing goes horizontal..

is this definitely gonna stiffen up my gearstick?.. coz i had the impression that a bushing directly underneath the gear stick linkage was what needs to be replaced... not sumthin all the way on the other end..

tune2look
25-01-2007, 01:29 AM
I thought it would, but didnt. (Yes I have your left right problem too!!!)
may be my diy was all wrong LOL.
But definately good mod to do!! nice and firm movement along each gears!