PDA

View Full Version : Does Mugen Oil Filter do any good to 06 Civic?

SupremeKK
19-01-2007, 06:54 PM
just a quick question...

my steering is quite heavy....not sure if it was my car or it's the whole production of FD civic.

when steer in a halt, rpm gone up a bit like 100-200rpm, there was also a noise from the engine bay... i felt weird.

Feul consumption is bad too, with really gentle driving returns a whooping 8.7L/100km.... my problem again?

G_Vtec
20-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Your post is quite related to your subject header?

Oil filter will only affect the oil pressure performance in the engine. You will be alright as long as you stay with the genuine Honda filter or any aftermarket ones with same specs.

How many Ks have you done? I'm guessing that you are still running your car it. You will not be able to get an accurate reading on the fuel economy until your car is fully run in. This includes all the belts and even the clutch (for manual) because everything is brand new from factory. i would give it sometime before measuring the consumption again.

if problem still persist, bring it into your dealer :)

aaronng
20-01-2007, 09:20 AM
just a quick question...

my steering is quite heavy....not sure if it was my car or it's the whole production of FD civic.

Check your tyre pressure. It should be at least 32psi for 16". I use 36 psi for my 16" rims but you don't need to go that high if you want comfort. Go for 32-34 psi.

when steer in a halt, rpm gone up a bit like 100-200rpm, there was also a noise from the engine bay... i felt weird.
Normal, that's the power steering working. When the car is moving, there is less resistance to turning the wheel so the power steering pump doesn't have to work as hard.

Feul consumption is bad too, with really gentle driving returns a whooping 8.7L/100km.... my problem again?
Is yours the 1.8L or the 2.0L Sport? Manual or auyo? 8.7L/100km is about right for a combination of highway and freeway for the 1.8L auto and 2.0L manual. Tyre pressure also affects fuel consumption by a quite fair bit. So check your tyre pressure and post it up here.

And no, there is no point going for a Mugen oil filter. Your car won't be pushed to the limits on the street. Stick to Honda OEM.

SupremeKK
20-01-2007, 05:41 PM
thank you very much... :P

mine is Vti auto, done 9500km so far.

aaronng
20-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Remember to check your tyre pressure. That can cause heavy handling and high fuel consumption if the pressurs is too low.

cdan
20-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Also check your power steering oil level, a low oil level will cause oil in pump to cavitate and make a strange noise as well as making your steering heavy
cheers Chris

aaronng
20-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Also check your power steering oil level, a low oil level will cause oil in pump to cavitate and make a strange noise as well as making your steering heavy
cheers Chris

It's a new car though... the power steering level shold be alright.

gerard
20-01-2007, 06:51 PM
On the subject of steering, have only been driving the car 3 days, any one noticed that the steering is heavier on right turns than left. Don't think its wheel alignment as car tracks straight.

mines a sports auto btw.

aaronng
20-01-2007, 07:08 PM
On the subject of steering, have only been driving the car 3 days, any one noticed that the steering is heavier on right turns than left. Don't think its wheel alignment as car tracks straight.

mines a sports auto btw.

Checked your tyre pressure?

SupremeKK
20-01-2007, 08:25 PM
my tyre pressure is 38psi... so it should be more than enough...

also.. my car doesn't seem to track straight most of the time... a bit left most of the time..and the dealer told me its becoz australian road are built to make the centre of the road higher than the sides... and that's true???

MKI4EVA
20-01-2007, 09:41 PM
my tyre pressure is 38psi... so it should be more than enough...

also.. my car doesn't seem to track straight most of the time... a bit left most of the time..and the dealer told me its becoz australian road are built to make the centre of the road higher than the sides... and that's true???

the steering design on the 06 civics is very precise. If it's not perfectly straight on a flat long piece of road then get them to realign it for you. Our previous sports had the same issue.

aaronng
20-01-2007, 09:58 PM
38 psi is high for 16" rims. Go 33-36psi. I use 36 psi and already it tramlines when the road is uneven.

SupremeKK
20-01-2007, 10:07 PM
and mine is only 15''rim... vti.. hehe... 06..

07 vti gets 16???

aaronng
20-01-2007, 10:19 PM
and mine is only 15''rim... vti.. hehe... 06..

07 vti gets 16???

Whoops, confused with Sport. LOL. Anyway, 15", even lower tyre pressure! 31-33 psi.

dannybubu
21-01-2007, 12:28 AM
so what's better for fuel consumption? higher or lower psi?

SupremeKK
21-01-2007, 07:06 AM
i guess higher psi better fuel eco... and lower is for comfort?

aaronng
21-01-2007, 11:03 AM
i guess higher psi better fuel eco... and lower is for comfort?

Yup! The downside of being too high is a bumpy ride, tramlining where the steering wheel turns on its own when you go over uneven road, uneven tyre wear in the middle, less grip in the corners, and less grip in the rain.

The downside of being too low is a heavy steering wheel, higher fuel consumption and uneven wear on the shoulder of the tyres.

So make sure you get the correct pressure, and not too high nor too low.

dannybubu
21-01-2007, 11:44 PM
man....compromises

SupremeKK
24-01-2007, 07:07 PM
update:

honda said if i install hte mugen oil filter, they'll void my warranty... gosh..

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dannybubu
25-01-2007, 11:20 AM
uh oh....what if i installed a muffler or rims? would they still void it?

Bob san
25-01-2007, 12:06 PM
dw too much about Honda warranty, even if you leave it stock as a rock they probablly make up some lame excuse not to fix ur car (saves them the work resposibily).

its your insurance you should be worried about. I have BCs rims and a xforce full cat back and insurance is all good with it. Make sure u tell them everymod that u have on ur car on insurance. if u don't well... good luck lol

dannybubu
25-01-2007, 01:05 PM
when you told them about the mods did they up the insurance? or just leave it the same price?

aaronng
25-01-2007, 01:18 PM
uh oh....what if i installed a muffler or rims? would they still void it?

It's a different issue because the filter is a critical part for engine life.

SupremeKK
25-01-2007, 03:18 PM
ya.. now i'm not sure if i should install the mugen one or not...

aaronng
25-01-2007, 05:22 PM
ya.. now i'm not sure if i should install the mugen one or not...

I wouldn't bother as it wouldn't be much benefit to your car.

JasonGilholme
25-01-2007, 05:54 PM
I recently changed back to using OEM filters and I noticed a big change in my oil pressure readings.

With after market filters i've used (ryco, K&N, castrol & Valvoline) i noticed that the filters were slightly bigger then the oem one (ryco being the biggest @ an extra 2cm in diameter) which had a bad effect on my oil pressure readings. My car wouldn't hit max oil pressure (75psi) until about 4500 RPM and i noticed that oil pressure wouldnt go up and down smoothly with the RPMs. It would stagger through the changes but it would still hold a steady PSI at any given RPM.

Since changing to the OEM filter i've noticed that the filter is smaller which makes me hit max oil pressure ALOT sooner (2400 rpm) which I am fine with and the oil pressure also comes on alot smoother as well. The needle on my guage changes smoothly with engine revs especially between shifts.

OEM FTW!

Seriously, don't just assume its crap cause its OEM. The only non OEM item i use is engine oil. but thats cause i like fully synthetic for my engine.

Jase

SupremeKK
25-01-2007, 06:16 PM
I recently changed back to using OEM filters and I noticed a big change in my oil pressure readings.

With after market filters i've used (ryco, K&N, castrol & Valvoline) i noticed that the filters were slightly bigger then the oem one (ryco being the biggest @ an extra 2cm in diameter) which had a bad effect on my oil pressure readings. My car wouldn't hit max oil pressure (75psi) until about 4500 RPM and i noticed that oil pressure wouldnt go up and down smoothly with the RPMs. It would stagger through the changes but it would still hold a steady PSI at any given RPM.

Since changing to the OEM filter i've noticed that the filter is smaller which makes me hit max oil pressure ALOT sooner (2400 rpm) which I am fine with and the oil pressure also comes on alot smoother as well. The needle on my guage changes smoothly with engine revs especially between shifts.

OEM FTW!

Seriously, don't just assume its crap cause its OEM. The only non OEM item i use is engine oil. but thats cause i like fully synthetic for my engine.

Jase

Hi jase,

Thank you so much for your opinion... :P it's very pro..

love it.

SupremeKK
25-01-2007, 06:17 PM
btw, fully synthetic make any difference?

JasonGilholme
25-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Probably better off asking one of the pro's concerning oils here on OH.

But as far as i know mineral oil is only really needed for the break in period and possibly for a short time afterwards and the afterwards its better to use fully synthetic.

Like i said tho, probably best askin someone like aarong or benajamin etc. Someone round here knows engine oils inside out (polimers, esters etc lol)

SupremeKK
25-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I have only done around 10,000KM. might as well stick to OEM...

anyway... i got a set of mugen sticker... any idea where to put it...

http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1p-PRlNjjrlbKEU29-SWDyPjlR6D-pBso3TE7B4FEdHFapMcRrwMSPVTo1MDCkvoMK4yFBXa5zZDoPy WNbS9x0PwviIE06LkvqXG5El5MSetw

5 x 22 cm.

set of 2...

CIVIC 2006 VTI

Bob san
25-01-2007, 08:40 PM
imo nope don't put them anywhere lol. unless u have mugen mods to back them up don't bother (cos it would be too ricy).

aaronng
25-01-2007, 11:55 PM
I have only done around 10,000KM. might as well stick to OEM...

10,000km is fine to use a synthetic oil in your engine. Of course, there is always a reason to go to different oils. For me, I found that the mineral oil was becoming rough at 7000km, way before my scheduled service. I used mineral for the first year and I noticed that the engine always became rough at 7000km. I switched to a synthetic (cheap Castrol Edge 5w-30) and the engine was smooth all the way to my next service. That's why now I use synthetic oils.

Also, real synthetics (PAO) like Mobil1, Shell Helix Ultra and Castrol Edge 0w-40 have a disadvantage. They don't like to stick to metal. So when you first start up your car after a long while of not being driven, there can be extra wear when compared to a mineral or semi-synthetic. The solution is to use a hydrocracked or ester-based synthetic. Hydrocracked synthetics include Castrol Edge 5w-30 (the other Edge oils are PAO), or an ester oil like Motul 300V.

Castrol Edge 5w-30 is much cheaper, at $60+. I buy during Supercheap/Autobarn's 20% off, so it's $50. When you book your car for servicing, tell them you want to bring your own oil and ask how much cheaper it is. For my dealer, I get $40 off.

dannybubu
26-01-2007, 08:27 AM
thanks for the great info aaronng