PDA

View Full Version : Higher wattage bulbs

wynode
13-06-2004, 01:16 AM
Just wondering if anyone is running anything higher than the standard 55/60W (I think thats it) H4 bulbs in their EGs.

I know the ramifications of running a higher wattage bulb, but I want to know if anyone has done it, for how long, and what wattage bulb.

Thanks

ECU-MAN
13-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Iv installed 55/80 in the past for some country bumkin, you can run them all day and night with modifications to the wiring looms.

I hate it when people change the low beam to a higher wattage.

Kit
13-06-2004, 01:38 AM
although not an EG, I ran PIAA 80/80 H4s in my EK for ages. A highly recommended upgrade, cos it significantly enhances night time vision.

ECU-MAN
13-06-2004, 11:21 AM
although not an EG, I ran PIAA 80/80 H4s in my EK for ages. A highly recommended upgrade, cos it significantly enhances night time vision.

yeah but blinds all the mofos in front of you :)

luzinit
13-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Kit, did u have to do anything else to the wiring or fuses or was it just a simple swap instead of the factory bulbs? I'm looking for some bulbs for my EK as well, either PIAA or Phillips, any recommendations?

Kit
14-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Kit, did u have to do anything else to the wiring or fuses or was it just a simple swap instead of the factory bulbs? I'm looking for some bulbs for my EK as well, either PIAA or Phillips, any recommendations?

nope, stock wiring, just a swap of the globes.
its a good upgrade, significantly brighter on low beam, a sh!tload brighter on high beam :D

I found that PIAA only lasted probably 6-8months, probably cos the 80/80w will run a bit hotter. but then again, PIAAs are also famous for short bulb life.

Try using Phillips bluevision bulbs, they are good, I'm currently running 55w 5000k bluevisions and i'm pretty happy with them. They actually aren't blue at all, very white. They are interesting in that when you turn them on they are a little greeny/blue, but after a few seconds when they warm up they become white.

yeah but blinds all the mofos in front of you :)

ECU-MAN, i found that no matter how bright or dim your headlights are, they should never dazzle the people infront of you when you are using the low beam. If they are dazzling opposite traffic, you need to angle the light down slightly.
The low beams should light up the immediate road infront of you, and the high beams will project higher to light up things further away. Hence why you have to dim your high beams when oncoming traffic appears cos high beams are angled higher

ECU-MAN
14-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Im like a moth, I got sensative eyes. when I see the bright light I know I should look away but I look right at it, then complain to myself about how bright this dudes head lights are.

I know what your saying though properley alighed low beams shoulndt be an issue..

wynode
14-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Iv installed 55/80 in the past for some country bumkin, you can run them all day and night with modifications to the wiring looms.

And without modifications......?

Also, have you guys kept an eye out on the reflector for any discolouration?

-Win

ECU-MAN
14-06-2004, 08:22 PM
it is posible that the extra current drain from the high beam will create more heat and melt the fuse area or the connectors and posibly wiring depending on how overrated the globe is.

bigteethygrin
14-06-2004, 08:28 PM
i had 110/90W for about 1/2 a day and found the plug started warping.. needed a screwdriver to lever the plug off the bulb. Back to stockies now...

Kit
14-06-2004, 10:41 PM

And without modifications......?

Also, have you guys kept an eye out on the reflector for any discolouration?

-Win

no such problem with the PIAAs. I ran them for about 2.5 years too.

you don't want to go any higher than 80/80 H4, cos then you'll need to modify the circuitry like adding relays and such