PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Cold air intake (pics)

justinfox
13-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Hi guys, this has probably been covered many times before. I know there's always been some debate around whether or not CAI/SAI is better than a Stock box but all those amazing cars with pods in their engine bay all over the world can't be totally wrong. Besides, I love the sound a pod makes and the sound of a car is important to me... so here we go!

I have been driving the car for a week now with just a pod filter in the engine bay. It's cold here in Sydney at the moment so the air's always crisp but instantly, after removing the stock airbox and whacking on the pod I felt the car was revving more freely and most of all I could hear a lot more induction roar and I can now distinctly hear the vtec kick in too (I couldn't before).

I bought some 3inch intake ducting from Star Performance (thanks EG5 for the tip off) this stuff is big and chunky.

I initially just connected one end to the pod and the other I tie strapped it underneath the car's undertray. No good as it was literally hanging under the bottom of the car 3inches and would scoop up water in puddles really fast! But I wanted to test whether or not this made a difference. And WOW. It made a huge difference!!! Car revs a lot more freely again, feels more torquey when you're rolling, lift of accelerator and then jab it back on again it just feels stronger.

So I decided to go for it:

- I cut out the driver side front bar with a hacksaw blade (I still need to clean this up, may even cut more of it off).

- Attach ducting to a small hole with a tie strap and I also managed to screw it in so it will not move at all.

And this is the final outcome:

http://www.australianinfront.com.au/users/justin/civic/intake/intake_01.jpg

http://www.australianinfront.com.au/users/justin/civic/intake/intake_02.jpg

http://www.australianinfront.com.au/users/justin/civic/intake/intake_03.jpg

wynode
13-06-2004, 11:54 AM
If you are not going to follow the format, at LEAST add the disclaimer.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6905

Javed
13-06-2004, 12:25 PM
argh, dont think I could bring myself to cutting the front bar. Where did you actually have to cut? How much is the material worth?

Rowie
13-06-2004, 01:50 PM
whats stopping water spray getting into your filter? and bugs and dirt?

snowman95
13-06-2004, 03:18 PM
would the ripply nature of that tube add air turbulance to the intake, and therefore slow down the air going into the intake mainfold?

A'PEXi
13-06-2004, 03:36 PM
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hyolee/intake.jpg

could add a heatshield/airbox sort of thing around the high lighted area

A'PEXi
13-06-2004, 03:38 PM
http://www.d-series.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=374&stc=1

bit like trav's :D

egSi
13-06-2004, 04:52 PM
yeah ray that heat shield kicks arse ;)

justinfox
13-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Ducting cost me $39 for 1 1/2 metres (I thought I should be safe with that amount it was almost twice too much). I just got back from a long drive and sad to say it felt much better when I had the end of the ducting right at the bottom of the car hanging below the undertray facing the front but that would suck up dirt and water.

Snowman, I read that too somewhere but it's just these comments that I am trying to sort out for myself. So many people on forums say one thing but they say it withouth experience so I'm always one to buy/try things and if they don't work well then I won't do it again to future cars.

Wynode, sorry about not following the format you have set out, please feel free to delete this thread. Was only trying to help! :)

Nuttz
13-06-2004, 11:32 PM
with the ribbed tubing.. it would lose a bit of effectiveness as a ram intake and then only work as a cold air intake i'd say :) better than no gain :)

justinfox = :thumbsup:

VTEC16
14-06-2004, 01:09 AM
with the ribbed tubing.. it would lose a bit of effectiveness as a ram intake and then only work as a cold air intake i'd say :) better than no gain :)

justinfox = :thumbsup:

There is 0% ram in almost all car intake setups.

wynode
14-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Wynode, sorry about not following the format you have set out, please feel free to delete this thread. Was only trying to help! :)

Make me do all the work :|

EG5
15-06-2004, 01:09 AM
the J's racing CF Intake Funnel will be nice to add up your intake mods

fusion_VTi
15-06-2004, 04:23 PM
looks exactly like mine but my duct doesnt go up into the pod it sits just under :D

joneblaze
16-06-2004, 12:27 AM
Nice writeup mate. Good to see other forumers having a go! :)

iced
21-07-2004, 01:01 AM
i suggest move the pod filter behind the bumper, get some 3 inch stainless steel, so the intake pipe and clamp to the pod. get a bracket to hold up the pod

whack it back in, and there will be zero hot air induction like you have now.
plus no water induction. however sinc eu have hacked ur front bar, then water would get on the pod, car would only Hydrolock if the pod was submerged and there was heavy rain directly going on the pod

you see the pod will suck from the least restrictive path, that will still be the under bonnet air, and the ram efect only when driving at least 60kmh

Phantasm
22-07-2004, 07:25 PM
I just removed my factory airbox in my ek vtir to find two interesting pipes leading downwards. On further inspection and removal of front bumper i discovered the resonance chamber.
Once removing all of this useless plastic bulk and put it back together outside my car i couldnt believe how stupid the design seemed.
The standard air intake sucks air in from under the left hand side of the air box, then twists around for a while and into various boxes.
It seems very unneconomical to me.
Also the intake sound now sounds almost like an external wastegate and throttle response is greatly improved.

egSi
23-07-2004, 07:48 AM
I just removed my factory airbox in my ek vtir to find two interesting pipes leading downwards. On further inspection and removal of front bumper i discovered the resonance chamber.
Once removing all of this useless plastic bulk and put it back together outside my car i couldnt believe how stupid the design seemed.
The standard air intake sucks air in from under the left hand side of the air box, then twists around for a while and into various boxes.
It seems very unneconomical to me.
Also the intake sound now sounds almost like an external wastegate and throttle response is greatly improved.

yeah man that white box tubes and shit under your front bar is too stop the induction noise. can you imagine an old lady driving her civic to bowls with a mad loud induction roar. its funny watching my mum driving my car down the road.

uneconomical, yes

Boost
19-10-2004, 12:11 PM
hmm.. im a bit worried that the pipe will let in bugs, water, dirt, leaves and what not into the manifold cause u got the filter cut at the top to attach the pipe into it.. kinda scary to me.. but keep us posted if the car begins to have problems or not.. cuase this is interesting...

aznsiko
21-10-2004, 12:53 AM
hey dude wher is star performance in syd... i want the flex pipe too.. lol.. looks good.. and how much was it.. pls PM me..

blackek4
23-05-2005, 02:41 AM
nice job mate.

Gio
21-12-2007, 08:11 AM
why would u cut the pod and feed the air straight into it? The whole idea of a filter is to 'filter' the air that goes into the engine...

bigjo5
31-12-2007, 01:27 AM
why would u cut the pod and feed the air straight into it? The whole idea of a filter is to 'filter' the air that goes into the engine...

he didnt cut the pod.. he just put the piping to the airfilter

Chi
31-12-2007, 09:53 AM

why would you dig up old threads that are almsot 4 years old.

beeza
31-12-2007, 10:14 AM
hehehe but it's the style of filter.It's still got the filter in where the tube runs in.Better off building a box and run cold air ducting into that.

Gio
31-12-2007, 12:22 PM
hmm.. im a bit worried that the pipe will let in bugs, water, dirt, leaves and what not into the manifold cause u got the filter cut at the top to attach the pipe into it.. kinda scary to me.. but keep us posted if the car begins to have problems or not.. cuase this is interesting...

Is the filter not cut?

beeza
31-12-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm sure it's still got a filter at the front there.It's a cone shape.

Chi
31-12-2007, 03:41 PM
No where did the original thread creater stated the pod was cut.

Only the front bar.

Another person assumed he cut the pod .

Learn to read.

Gio
31-12-2007, 03:53 PM
yes exactly and i said why would u cut the pod? is there a problem with that? Maybe you need to learn to make sense in your replies... state not stated dont tell me i need to learn to read.

philBo
31-12-2007, 04:19 PM
yes exactly and i said why would u cut the pod? is there a problem with that? Mabey you need to learn to make sense in your replies... state not stated dont tell me i need to learn to read.

maybe its not 'Mabey'?

great DIY thread btw..looking forward to trying it out some time.

Gio
31-12-2007, 06:57 PM
thanks phil, yeah me 2 ill try this out

aaronng
01-01-2008, 11:51 AM
why would you dig up old threads that are almsot 4 years old.

Nothing wrong with searching and bringing up this old thread because it is in the DIY section!