PDA

View Full Version : DIY CHEAP! Accord Euro Fog Light Improvement – H11 to H9 conversion

yfin
20-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You do this entirely at your own risk.

The problem: The stock 55w H11 fog lights on the Euro are not particularly powerful. To put it blunt they are useless. They are a cosmetic feature to enable you to ‘be seen’ rather than provide you with any useful light output.

The solution: Convert very efficient H9 type globes to fit the stock H11 fog light harness. The result is an increase in lumens output from 1350 lumens in the stock form to a massive 2100 lumens in the H9 type (also a whiter output).

The increase in wattage is a measly 10 watt (65w compared to stock 55w) so there should not be any associated heat problems typical with increasing wattage. The fog light covers are also made from glass so the risks of overheating are minimal in my opinion.

Credits: Credit goes to the website below for giving me the idea to modify a H9 globe to fit a H11 socket. He doesn’t give instructions as to how to perform the conversion but it is self explanatory once you look closely at the sockets. As far as I am aware no one has attempted this modification on a CL9 Euro before.

Props to :thumbsup: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Cost: 2 xH9 globes. I purchased some cheap and nasty H9 globes on ebay for $12. They are blue coated bulbs :thumbdwn:. Coated bulbs are not recommended if you are looking for maximum light output. If you want maximum output use a standard clear H9 globe.

Tools required: Stanley knife or similar.

Step 1:

Get your H9 globes. The H9 and H11 globes are physically the same size! So no fitment issues in the housing. This pic is what the H9 I purchased looks like. The stock globe looks the same - except for clear glass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3432.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3435.jpg

Compare the socket of the stock H11 globe to the H9 globe in these pictures below.

Stock H11 globe below

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3437.jpg

H9 globe below

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3431.jpg

Note how the H9 globe has an extra piece of plastic ridging in the socket? (NB: the photo above was skewed when I resized it. Not to worry - I assure you the H9 and H11 are the same shape and size).

Step 2:

Being very careful not to touch the glass – you need to use your Stanley knife to slowly cut away the socket ridging so the H9 globe fitting looks exactly like the stock H11 globe fitting. One ridge needs to be removed with the knife. If you work slowly this should be easy to do.

The end result should look like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3434.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3433.jpg

Step 3:

Fit the globe to the vehicle. No other modification is required. If you have cut the globe socket properly the globe will fit the fog harness in the vehicle perfectly.

Results:

These pics below are of the fog light and parking lights only! The headlights are turned off!! Not bad aye for $12. :thumbsup: You will get even better results using a clear globe and adjusting the beams correctly (I haven’t done this yet). There is a screw underneath the fog housing to adjust the beam up and down.

Borat’s review on this mod is “Wa wa wee wo, I like very much!”… If you find this thread useful, spread the love with a rep point.

If you try this DIY let me know what you think of the results.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3481.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3478.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3477.jpg

SiReal
20-01-2007, 08:33 PM
sexy time!!

EuroDude
21-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Two with cheese thanks. I lyk it alot!

But can't u get highly efficient H11 bulbs anyway?
What makes H9 so fantasia?

yfin
21-01-2007, 08:06 AM
But can't u get highly efficient H11 bulbs anyway?
What makes H9 so fantasia?

The light output of a H11 globe will never be 2100 lumens. Even if you use a +50 H11 it only gives you a few hundred extra lumens. I think it is because H9 is designed for typical use in high beam applications but I am not sure. ;) Mr Stern doesn't explain why there is such a big difference in output simply from the design but I am happy regardless.

egSi
22-01-2007, 10:38 PM
nice effort :thumbsup:

cupnoodle
27-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Really informative write-up. My set of H9 bulbs came in today but i cant, for the life of me, figure out how to get into the foglight housing. I have a 2007 euro luxury and there's no screws or anything at the front. Do i have to take off the front bumper? Please tell me not..Appreciate your assistance

yfin
27-11-2007, 05:55 PM
hi thanks - this is a worthwhile mod and let me know how you find it.

Re the globes - i am sure accessing the fog lights is covered in your Euro manual.

If I am wrong on that - you basically need to remove that plastic cover under the front of the car and you can reach your hand into the cavity and remove the fog globe. You do not need to remove the front bumper.

cupnoodle
27-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Great, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot and i'll post pics when i'm done

ENVSSS
28-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't know how many people have done this mod before but I tried it and have recently placed my stock 55w globes back in after having to replace both fog light lenses after them cracking.

I noticed that the do get extremely hot compared to stock ones and I figured that they cracked due to excessive heat and use in the wet (cooled too quickly). What are your thoughts? I'd love to put them back in but I am a little hesitant...

yfin
29-11-2007, 05:29 AM
I don't know how many people have done this mod before but I tried it and have recently placed my stock 55w globes back in after having to replace both fog light lenses after them cracking.

I noticed that the do get extremely hot compared to stock ones and I figured that they cracked due to excessive heat and use in the wet (cooled too quickly). What are your thoughts? I'd love to put them back in but I am a little hesitant...

I never had that problem. It is fairly common for the fog lenses to crack on the Euro when they are impacted by road debris. A small stone from the road will do it. Lots of examples of that here and on the US forums.

As for heat, to get a crack in glass from 10watt increase would surprise me - but hey anything is possible when you change a car from stock. Are you running these all day every day?

Bludger
06-12-2007, 02:20 AM
its ok to touch the glass bulb, just make sure you clean it afterwards.

use a solvent like metho or something similar.

its just to remove the oil from the glass

TRaNz
27-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Would a 55w H9 still be brighter than a 55w H11 bulb?

rikstar
22-04-2008, 08:56 AM

I did this mod also and it looks awesome, but i'm experiencing the same problem as ENVSSS. My fog lenses haven't cracked but after 10-15 min of driving the lenses are bloody hot and i assume that if i were to drive in the rain with them on it would eventually crack.

Anyone else tried this mod with similar issues?

For now i'll just have to use the foggies when it's not raining.

Darkii_
22-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey,

I was considering doing this mod but I'm a bit worried about hearing the glass cracking. Has anyone else experienced cracking of the glass as well, don't want to go through the hassle of replacing them.

Feedback on others who have done this mod too would be nice. Thanks in advanced =)

JunYu
22-04-2008, 12:06 PM
gosh and here iam dressed and ready to go buy some H9 bulbs :p

i guess i'll wait for more feedback! but nice writeup nontheless. I dont know how to rep you .. lol i would if i knew how!!

yfin
22-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I did this mod also and it looks awesome, but i'm experiencing the same problem as ENVSSS. My fog lenses haven't cracked but after 10-15 min of driving the lenses are bloody hot and i assume that if i were to drive in the rain with them on it would eventually crack.

Anyone else tried this mod with similar issues?

For now i'll just have to use the foggies when it's not raining.

But the fog lights are very hot even with stock globes after 10-15 minutes! Remember the difference in wattage is only 15%.

yfin
22-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Would a 55w H9 still be brighter than a 55w H11 bulb?

Yes it will but are they available? I think the draw on the H9 is 65w.

TRaNz
22-04-2008, 11:51 PM
^^ ah, too late, LOL, coz i got the MTEC ones off a trader here, so i just went with H11...again, but diff colour.

rikstar
23-04-2008, 08:39 AM
But the fog lights are very hot even with stock globes after 10-15 minutes! Remember the difference in wattage is only 15%.

i suppose i'll have to test it out in the rain and let you all know how it goes.

rikstar
24-04-2008, 09:20 AM
okay guys, here's a shot with the new H9 Bulbs (4,750K). Bought them from a trader on OZHonda. Pretty good match if i do say so myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/rikstar/23042008171copy.jpg

JunYu
24-04-2008, 09:39 AM
^ that looks awesome! nice match indeed.

Hm, how much are h9 bulbs worth at the local auto store? how come you guys are all ordering from the traders?

m3ntAL_l2
24-04-2008, 09:45 AM
lol nice.... wots the different betweent H11 and H9??
is H9 more brigter or sumthing?

rikstar
24-04-2008, 10:32 AM
^ that looks awesome! nice match indeed.

Hm, how much are h9 bulbs worth at the local auto store? how come you guys are all ordering from the traders?

Not sure how much they are locally, but the ones i got are MTEC. I only bought them becuase they had good reviews from other members here. If you want the same set as mine let me know, i accidently ordered two sets of bulbs. :o

jeff_c
20-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Not sure how much they are locally, but the ones i got are MTEC. I only bought them becuase they had good reviews from other members here. If you want the same set as mine let me know, i accidently ordered two sets of bulbs. :o

Hi there

I've recently purchased the MTEC 4300K H9 foglights, and did the "H11 to H9" conversion as per this DIY. I've had no problems with that, other that the fact that it took 30 minutes+ with a stanley knife/swiss army knife to cut away the extra edge within the plastic housing.

The problem I have is that I can't seem to fit the unit into the fog light casing. The 3 metal protrusions at the base of the globe don't seem to click into the metal surrounding in the foglight case. I've compared both the stock and MTEC units, and found that one of the metal protrusions is approx. 2mm longer on the MTEC than the stock... is there another way of putting this in? Has anyone else experienced this problem with the MTEC?

Cheers

traumatized
21-05-2008, 08:15 PM
^
should be able to use tin snips to cut the extra metal guides off. i have mentioned n this thread or another thread that some H9 bulbs is not a straight fit into the H11 socket.

CB7_OWNER
21-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Like, why cant you just get a H11 bulb rated the same as the H9's your all getting?? i dont see why a 4300k H9 65W bulb will be brighter then a 4300k H11 65W bulb?

traumatized
21-05-2008, 10:25 PM
^ as stated by yfin in his initial post it's the lumens that affect the output and H11 bulb just don't have that many lumens.

viper8548
22-05-2008, 05:22 AM
Hi there

I've recently purchased the MTEC 4300K H9 foglights, and did the "H11 to H9" conversion as per this DIY. I've had no problems with that, other that the fact that it took 30 minutes+ with a stanley knife/swiss army knife to cut away the extra edge within the plastic housing.

The problem I have is that I can't seem to fit the unit into the fog light casing. The 3 metal protrusions at the base of the globe don't seem to click into the metal surrounding in the foglight case. I've compared both the stock and MTEC units, and found that one of the metal protrusions is approx. 2mm longer on the MTEC than the stock... is there another way of putting this in? Has anyone else experienced this problem with the MTEC?

Cheers

I have the 4750K MTEC H9 fogs, and had the same problem as you. There is only one part out of the 3 metal plates that dont fit! I simply bent the one of the edge of the metal plate with a plier upwards as much as I can and it was enought to fit in the H11 socket of the euro.

yfin
22-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Like, why cant you just get a H11 bulb rated the same as the H9's your all getting?? i dont see why a 4300k H9 65W bulb will be brighter then a 4300k H11 65W bulb?

I think it is the design of the H9 bulb which are typically for high beam applications. Either way it is 55% more light compared to the H11 in 55w.

Miz_II_Die_IV
23-05-2008, 03:08 AM
does anyone know where i can source there in sydey n how much,,, wats the differennce betweeen the 4300 and the 4750.. also which bulbs o replae hi beams??/

power_of_dreams
02-06-2008, 08:22 PM
alternatively you could use h11 yellow fogs?

Eckerz
06-11-2008, 04:18 PM
guys, for those of you who have done this conversion, all good still? no issues at all - cracked lenses, etc?
(sorry to revive an old thread, I'm new to OzHonda and after reading up on this DIY, I'm really keen to do it)

doosra
30-11-2008, 03:55 PM
i'm going to purchase the H9 to do the conversion, however noticed on this thread:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53885 that the H9's are 100W. I'm assuming this is a mistake and it should be 65W? can someone confirm?

I have just purchased 6000k HID's and need to match up my foggies. Would the 4350k or 4750k be the right match.. ?

geeang
30-11-2008, 04:19 PM
i'm going to purchase the H9 to do the conversion, however noticed on this thread:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53885 that the H9's are 100W. I'm assuming this is a mistake and it should be 65W? can someone confirm?

I have just purchased 6000k HID's and need to match up my foggies. Would the 4350k or 4750k be the right match.. ?

Eeerrr to match your 6000k you just get 6000k :p

doosra
30-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Eeerrr to match your 6000k you just get 6000k :p

they don't have 6000k.. if you read through the thread, you'll notice:

AVAILABLE COLOURS
- GOLDEN STYLE 3,300K
- SUPER WHITE 4,350K
- COSMOS BLUE WHITE 4,750K

yfin
30-11-2008, 05:02 PM
they don't have 6000k.. if you read through the thread, you'll notice:

AVAILABLE COLOURS
- GOLDEN STYLE 3,300K
- SUPER WHITE 4,350K
- COSMOS BLUE WHITE 4,750K

i wouldn't worry about it - the photo in my first pic is 4000k and look how white that is.

Eckerz
01-12-2008, 04:36 PM
doosra, which ones are you getting? There aren't that many options for H9s as far as I can see. There's Xtec for $12 each on ebay (the ones yfin used) which is probably the cheapest you'd find for H9s. Then, I found that Narva sells them too (Page 20 of http://media.narva.com.au/books/4.pdf ) but they're pretty expensive, about 60 bucks each.

doosra
04-12-2008, 06:26 PM
i was going to do this conversion, however didn't want to go through the hassle of cutting and trying to fit it... so i went with the mtec h11 4750k light... to me it's not as bright as I would have hoped

if h9 is much brighter than the h11, then i'd definitely suggest people to do it...

eckerz - you can get it off trader on OzHonda $36 express posted. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53885&page=33

yfin
04-12-2008, 08:42 PM
i was going to do this conversion, however didn't want to go through the hassle of cutting and trying to fit it... so i went with the mtec h11 4750k light... to me it's not as bright as I would have hoped

if h9 is much brighter than the h11, then i'd definitely suggest people to do it...

eckerz - you can get it off trader on OzHonda $36 express posted. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53885&page=33

mate this is the easiest DIY you will ever see on Ozhonda! Saying it is a hassle is unbelievable - it is so easy and it is very bright. :eek: Going with H11 was a mistake.

doosra
04-12-2008, 11:03 PM
mate this is the easiest DIY you will ever see on Ozhonda! Saying it is a hassle is unbelievable - it is so easy and it is very bright. :eek: Going with H11 was a mistake.

lol..
i know.. lesson learnt.. overall, it's not too bad... anyone want some H11's.. ? hahhah

|nick|
27-04-2009, 02:59 PM
so are MTEC H9's easy enough to fit (with the protrusion and whatnot)? or is there a better bulb to get?

doosra
27-04-2009, 03:15 PM
it's brighter than than the H11's.. therefore the colour will match more with your HID's..

black8thgen
03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
anyone got a pic of the MTEC H9s that protrude and cause a problem? and which parts to bend/shave/cut? lol cheers

jfaust
27-10-2009, 10:29 PM
anyone else tried this? i want to do this...
im going to buy the H9 bulbs.

r3ckless
28-10-2009, 02:36 PM
same... cos on the dc5, we also use H11 for fog lights..... and my foggies are also mtec 4750K.. thier not as bright compared to my 6000K hid's.... contemplating this.. so how are the mtec H9 bulbs for this DIY?

jfaust
28-10-2009, 04:08 PM
well im waiting for a pm msg from liquidsound. checking if he has the h9 bulbs in stock............ ill wanna try the DIYand see how it goes...

iLlusion10
28-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I've got h9's sitting on my table lol, haven't got around to changing the fogs, i followed the manual, and it was like IMPOSSIBLE to get the plastic cover off the bottom.

jfaust
29-10-2009, 12:07 PM
you selling them? aahhahaha

rayd
31-10-2009, 02:55 PM
im a little confused... do the fog lights run off HID system like the head lights do? because these don't look like what you have in your photo... the original photo shows the connector's in a right angled black insulated cover type thing.....

these are bare prong straight protrusions..... how can they fit in??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUINE-MTEC-H9-XENON-HID-HEADLIGHTS-COSMOS-BLUE-4750k_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c082725f5QQitemZ 120395867637QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc cessories#ht_2649wt_941

Darkii_
01-11-2009, 09:39 AM
H9/H11 bulbs always has a black insulated connector...that's the size.

I think the link you're looking at is using those bulbs as an example of what tint the bulbs will have on them, not what the actual bulb is.

The connector of the fog lights is different to the headlights, it is designed to fit the H11 bulbs.

anthk
28-11-2011, 09:51 PM
This is an update.
I just installed H9 fog lights, look good, heaps more light and as for the heating of the globes both felt the same after turned on and and off (they were both equally hot).
Any questions on installation let me know.