PDA

View Full Version : Cost of owning a Civic VTi-R (EM1)

ShAwNeX
20-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Just wondering if replacement parts for a 2000 Civic VTi-R Coupe (EM1) is regarded as expensive and are the parts rare and hard to find?

TX

Encor3
20-01-2007, 09:59 PM
i own ek4
Petrol ~ 40 bux a week
Rego + insurance (if full comp) will be 20 dollars a week. (52 x 20 = ~1040)
Servicing- cheaper if you do yourself
But at dealerships 300-500 depending.

ECU-MAN
20-01-2007, 10:01 PM
parts are still available from Honda with out difficulty.

prices are resonable for new priced parts..

Encor3
20-01-2007, 10:01 PM
woops sorry re-read your question
parts for the EM1 comparitively aren't exspensive and not rare, most honda dealers should stock them.

ShAwNeX
21-01-2007, 05:03 PM
I thought the parts would be expensive and rare, due to the limited numbers available in Australia. But now i'm definitely getting the em1. All i have to do now, is actually find one thats in good condition and in white. I wish they produced more in aus.

abzndintegra
22-01-2007, 05:55 AM
great cars

would highly recommend spending extra and getting a clean one,

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58460

white oen for sale for $19500

i think its worth it, resale value will be great

akira
22-01-2007, 10:41 AM
em1 all the way!

bigjo5
22-01-2007, 08:54 PM
well parts are not hard to find just look for it at the local honda dealer ship which would be able to get parts for u.. but they a abit expensive for oem parts .. then again u can always go for the alot of brand of aftermarket parts which are pretty much reliable which is just as good as the oem stuff.

thebob
22-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Sometimes you will find aftermarket parts are cheaper then the OEM parts. This is to add to bigjo5's comment above.

c3024534
22-01-2007, 10:06 PM
great cars

would highly recommend spending extra and getting a clean one,

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58460

white oen for sale for $19500

i think its worth it, resale value will be great

That one is a bit expensive. If you look around you will find a much cheaper one than that. I bought an EM1 in really good condition 2 months ago for $13500. Check out www.redbook.com.au for prices. It is actually quiet accurate.

Encor3
23-01-2007, 11:40 AM
That one is a bit expensive. If you look around you will find a much cheaper one than that. I bought an EM1 in really good condition 2 months ago for $13500. Check out www.redbook.com.au for prices. It is actually quiet accurate.

Complete log books
62,000km

62,000 kms is increadible, and complete log books puts it well above national average

aznpsuazn
23-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Yes it is expensive, that doesn't mean it isnt worth it. You get what you pay for and a car with such good history is worth more than a car with less.

ShAwNeX
23-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Well, I've had a look around. What are your initial thoughts about this?

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!racv_content_new.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=37901 81&current_rec=2&used_rec=2&total_rec=10&sort_type=&total_rec=10&sort_type=&make_id=19&model_id=74&badge_id=1532&state_id=7#mainContent

c3024534
26-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Well, I've had a look around. What are your initial thoughts about this?

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!racv_content_new.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=37901 81&current_rec=2&used_rec=2&total_rec=10&sort_type=&total_rec=10&sort_type=&make_id=19&model_id=74&badge_id=1532&state_id=7#mainContent

I feel that they are asking a bit more than what it's worth(considering they're not including the Buddy Club wheels). If you were prepared to spend that sort of money on this car I would make sure it has all its service history starting from when the car was new.

Since this type of car is so rare you are going to have a hard time finding a good one at the right price. I know this because I have spent the last 6 months looking for one. My wait finally came to an end recently when I found a green '99 model with 120 000km. It was in excellent condition and came with a few mods(Apexi VTEC controller, B-Pipe, K&N pod filter, 15% tint, Advanti 15" wheels). The guy was asking $14500. After an inspection and a drive I haggled with him and got the price down to $13500.

My advice is use www.redbook.com.au as your reference for a cars value. If you pay more than redbook says its worth you will lose an awful lot of money when you go to sell the car. I know this from experience.

Anyway good luck with the car hunt and I promise you if you buy an EM1 you will not be disappointed. And the best part of all is lining up beside a Commodore at the lights. For some reason Commodore owners think those heaps of crap are some sort of performance car.

seihoa
26-01-2007, 05:01 PM
yea its always good to have a search around tho it depends on the colour of the car too white is RARE n is sexy !!!

cant get enough of the white em1s!!!

ShAwNeX
26-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah, thanx for the advice c3024534.

I agree with you when you say "I feel that they are asking a bit more than what it's worth". But a EM1 in white with minor mods and in what it seems to be very good condition is very hard to come by. Perhaps $15000 sounds more like the right price.

BTW

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU "For some reason Commodore owners think those heaps of crap are some sort of performance car."

LOL

Glitta
27-01-2007, 12:06 AM
hahah arn't the commodore drivers a classic... shocked many :p

Heading to the city one night blew a couple off the lights should have seen their faces..! Was giggling about it for the rest of the night.. I think the whole female driver made it slightly worse to :D

If your going to get one be prepared to pay the fuel costs as mentioned before my civic was more expensive to run then my WRX...

Parts are easy to come buy, Hontoys always has a couple lying around for wrecking or any Honda Dealer can hook you up with new parts ect..

Good luck with it though they are heaps of fun :)

c3024534
27-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Yeah, thanx for the advice c3024534.

I agree with you when you say "I feel that they are asking a bit more than what it's worth". But a EM1 in white with minor mods and in what it seems to be very good condition is very hard to come by. Perhaps $15000 sounds more like the right price.

BTW

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU "For some reason Commodore owners think those heaps of crap are some sort of performance car."

LOL

Sounds like a pretty reasonable price to me.

c3024534
27-01-2007, 12:58 AM
hahah arn't the commodore drivers a classic... shocked many :p

Heading to the city one night blew a couple off the lights should have seen their faces..! Was giggling about it for the rest of the night.. I think the whole female driver made it slightly worse to :D

If your going to get one be prepared to pay the fuel costs as mentioned before my civic was more expensive to run then my WRX...

Parts are easy to come buy, Hontoys always has a couple lying around for wrecking or any Honda Dealer can hook you up with new parts ect..

Good luck with it though they are heaps of fun :)

Uses more fuel than a WRX. How high was your fuel consumption? I've had mine range from 7.5L/100km to 10.5L/100km depending on how I drive.

ryuhou
27-01-2007, 02:37 AM
civic vtirs are by far the best pseudo-runaround cars. unless ur gunning every second u get good km's out of a full tank and replacement parts are very reasonable. i used to own an ek4 and i still miss the ridiculous fuel economy - esp wif the decent power u get out of it
if the cars in good nick and the price is right def. recommended :thumbsup:

yellows2k
28-01-2007, 12:26 AM
my brother is selling up (ek4) soon to get in a evo9, he has owned it the past 5 years and it has been very economical. insurance is $600 a year comprehensive for sydney for a 23yo, and the parts r not an issue as he hasnt had to replace major parts. he changed his clutch, which would have been the only major issue.

servicing from a good independent is cheap, stealerships will rape u of course.
it is economical, and the power is ok, not earth shattering, it is a great runaround car, no dramas from it. the engine can go on forever it seems. great build quality for a car that is almost 10 years old

Glitta
29-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Uses more fuel than a WRX. How high was your fuel consumption? I've had mine range from 7.5L/100km to 10.5L/100km depending on how I drive.

My hubby loved the Vtec ;) Even with me driving used to have pretty crap fuel economy though with the WRX usually get around 350ks to a tank which is not bad for an Auto the Civic barely used to get to 300ks...

Ours has exhaust system, extractors ect so I don't beleive that would be helping matters much..

Only ever owned one Honda and that was it have heard most are good on fuel so maybe was just the extras done to it.

akira
29-01-2007, 09:48 AM
My hubby loved the Vtec ;) Even with me driving used to have pretty crap fuel economy though with the WRX usually get around 350ks to a tank which is not bad for an Auto the Civic barely used to get to 300ks...

Ours has exhaust system, extractors ect so I don't beleive that would be helping matters much..

Only ever owned one Honda and that was it have heard most are good on fuel so maybe was just the extras done to it.

i dont know what your driving but i can get about 400+ kms out of my full tank easily in my civic em1.ive got some minor mods to it too! (i vtec it sometimes as well) my car's a manual which makes it worst cos yours an auto and you cant even reach 300kms?

a wrx is a 2.0l turbo?civic is a 1.6l 4cyclinder dohc vtec...do the maths.how can a civic have more fuel consumption then a wrx unless theres something wrong with it.

Glitta
30-01-2007, 08:15 AM
i dont know what your driving but i can get about 400+ kms out of my full tank easily in my civic em1.ive got some minor mods to it too! (i vtec it sometimes as well) my car's a manual which makes it worst cos yours an auto and you cant even reach 300kms?

a wrx is a 2.0l turbo?civic is a 1.6l 4cyclinder dohc vtec...do the maths.how can a civic have more fuel consumption then a wrx unless theres something wrong with it.

My WRX is Auto, Vti-R Civics only come in manual ;) My Civic was always serviced and looked after, but had upgraded fuel system and like I said my hubby loved the Vtec.

Im quite sure not all of them are the same I was simply stating my expirence in owning a Civic.