PDA

View Full Version : B20B or H22A or B18C or B16A

xKx_31
13-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Hi guys, wanna ask for some opinions. Just bought a 93 Si EH civic, wanted to do a swap and TC the car. Which of the below is a better bet?

-H22A $3300
-B16A $2500
-B18C GSR $3000
-B20B/B16A $2500 (From Singapore)

Licensing in W.A from what I know doesnt permit anything more than 10% increase in power which leaves H22A outta the question. B18C GSR is producing almost the same power band as the B16A as its not B18C-R. B16A is good but a swap from 1.6 Si to 1.6 Vti seems ermm not much advancement?? B20B/B16A hybrid is good but I lack knowledge and contacts of mechs to do a reliable conversion.

Any clue on which to change? I'd love the H22A but the conversion will include too many stuff to change :(

fusion_VTi
13-06-2004, 04:15 PM
upgrading from your Si motor to the b16a probably wont be as good a mod as you may think for the money mate, imo you'd be better off goin the B18C as not only has it more torque but also more displacement which never went to waste. from what ive heard h22a will make your car pretty quick, but will damage your car's handling pretty bad especially on the circuit, IMO your best bet would be the frankenstein CRVTEC conversion or the H22a if u want a quick reliable street car. cheers.

SPEEDCORE
13-06-2004, 04:18 PM
B20B for $2500............ :roll:

Anyhow I would not listen to hearsay about that 10% BS....... how do cars changing turbos and such get over that rule?? WRX gets full exhaust and gets over 10% increase.

It is usually a ratio of weight to capacity, that they work out what can be legally put into your car.

More info needed for us to give you advice mate..... what is TC?? Track/Circuit??

xKx_31
13-06-2004, 04:45 PM
TC - Forced induction.

B20B hybrid - Needs to be sourced and shipped from Singapore. The price i mentioned doesnt even include duties/tax and stuff.

I wanted to turbo-charged the car, my mate back in Singapore advise me not to get the B18C GSR as it churns up like 150 ponies or little bit more. I was under the impression that B18C-R was a better one because of the internals which provide longer delays (cams) and stronger rods and stuff. But the compression is way to high for TC and the price tag that goes along with the B18C-R is ermmmm abit too far fetched. IMO I think changing the internals of a GSR would be cheaper and I would have new parts as opposed to second hand B18C-R and besides the pistons needs to be changed to forged lowered compression too.

As for licensing, I'm not sure whether Perth has any Civic running on H22A but my bet is the chances are pretty slim. Seems to me other states are so much into swap of huge motors like H22A but Perth seems more on B18C GSR motors.

Thanks for the fast responses guys :o

**Ghost**
13-06-2004, 06:58 PM
y dont u get a b20B locally? just for the engine i think they sometimes go for around 1000

xKx_31
13-06-2004, 07:12 PM
doesnt posses the knowledge to rebuild the motor. getting the crv bottom here means i will have a problem licensing the swap. another problem is finding another b16 head which accumulate to the cost.

Gonna view a reader's teg wreck over here next week in melb. figure if the deal doesnt go through den maybe i would consider getting a teg motor here in perth. found one wrecker selling the gsr motor with ecu/harness at slightly below 2G. bad thing is its with automatic trans. means i have to find the gearing.

Weq
14-06-2004, 12:43 AM
If u want forced induction - build ur current a8 with forge internals. u will get more power outa it with high booost pressure then a conversion with a mild turbo kit. This is comparing dollar for dollar i spose.
a built a8 can do easy 12's--

saboteur
14-06-2004, 08:30 AM
If u want forced induction - build ur current a8 with forge internals. u will get more power outa it with high booost pressure then a conversion with a mild turbo kit. This is comparing dollar for dollar i spose.
a built a8 can do easy 12's--

:thumbsup: plus you can tell everyone they just got owned by a D series! :D

TODA AU
14-06-2004, 11:11 AM
H22A - Effective, but not ideal. Also more troublesome than B-series to fit.

B16A - Jewel of an engine, absolutely awesome when turbocharged correctly.

B18C - Very good potential also, but not best bang for bucks here.

B20B/B16A - Though very popular due to cost, in actual fact is a bit of a houso engine. Problems include weak cylinder block, inferior crankshaft, actual high rpm capability, head gasket problems when turbocharged & no under crown cooling jets.
(I.e.: Bad idea)

[G]
14-06-2004, 12:50 PM
If planning on turbocharging your car after a conversion then I would definately go for the B16a. Its evident that there are numerous 11 sec B16a turbocharged cars running around Aus and im fairly sure you would be more than satisified with a TC b16a.

Also keep in mind theres a significant price difference between a B18C and a B16a and the latter are much more readily available.

pgclee
14-06-2004, 03:36 PM
SPEEDCORE

you seem to be a TURBO kinda guy...
hmm...why people love to turbocharged Vtec?..hmmm....fun?

xKx

Just do what ever you think is the best...
but for B20...ermm...2500....ermm...ehh..what does it have in it?...better check properly before getting it dude...

SPEEDCORE
14-06-2004, 03:56 PM
SPEEDCORE

xKx

For your information I'm actually into N/A.... so WTF are you on about??

pgclee
15-06-2004, 02:07 AM
SPEEDCORE

xKx

For your information I'm actually into N/A.... so WTF are you on about??

nothing much...just to see your reaction....

xKx_31
15-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the numerous replies guys. Lotsa information seems very helpful in choosing an engine.

After discussing with my bud in Singapore on the stuff I need to change to TC a Honda, I'm sticking to N/A B20B hybrid. Seems like its gonna be a long wait, meanwhile i guess i can start dressing up the car :D

Anyone know any good deals on shockies? My friend used Konis and he changed after like 6 mths saying its lousy and it leaks. Any recommendations? My budget is around $600.
Is Apexi springs nice? A forum reader told me they are having sale in Victoria, guess Apexi is better than King Springs right? Both around the same pricing with Apexi slightly higher. Any other recommendations? My budget is around $300-$350.
Coilovers are nice but a decent one is outta my budget.

I've no preference to whether to stay N/A or TC but then again back in Singapore not many people TC their N/A cars due to the strict regulations. Since I'm here in Australia and N/A IMO (naive) has a limit to how much i can mod, i figure TC would be the way to go. Another concern is since I'm swapping another engine in, instead of putting the motor in and after a few months or 1 year before TC the car (which will cost a sum of money to take everything out again), might as well rebuild the whole motor before I put it in. But again due to my shallow knowledge of modifications and stuff, I'm limited to seeking advice from friends and workshops and perception.

Saw this very nice turbocharger in EBay, shit it looks nice but when i told my bud its a T04E, he says its too freaking big. Almost equal to a TD06. Spooling i guess should start only around late 4-5Ks. Damm ... Cant get my hands on that sweet thing.

xKx_31
15-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Oh yeah shit, my lil micra gave up on me right when i'm about to go school for my exams. RAC guy told me the fuel pump is gone. I called and gotten quotes like over $800 for a new one.

Anyone has any idea whether the car has one or two fuel pump (in-tank and external)?

Cheers