PDA

View Full Version : length of shocks

TEGNO1
22-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi can everyone post the lenghth of their front and rear shocks and car model, and specify how much shock travel they have at their current height measured from the centre of the wheel.
Why:
Im getting my coilovers shortened and would like to know what would be the best compromise for additional travel, without compromising geometry, clearance and droop, among other things i cant remmember now, thank

JasonGilholme
23-01-2007, 06:58 AM
what coilovers do you have??

Most dual adjust coilovers will allow you to change the travel by adjusting the damper.

I know that the ones that i've got on my car (ksports) allow you to change the height without altering spring rates or suspension travel. This gives you the same performance from the shock at all heights, the only difference is the lower center of gravity.

TEGNO1
23-01-2007, 07:29 AM
I got the hot bits ones, they got the helper spring design, but they sent them waaaay off and incorrect settings, so ive got a chance now to get them built to my custom specs.
Shorter equalls more travel,
But too much travell = no clearance, no droop, bad geometry.
I going to go 200-210mm on the front,
280mm on the rear.
What height have you got your car sitting, and how long are they, just the body not including the part that goes into the front fork, and not including the fork part on the rear, how much travel do you have.
You can also make them shorter by screwing them up,
My old shocks were 250mm front
320mm rear,
Thanks.

bennjamin
24-01-2007, 08:06 AM
what coilovers do you have??

Most dual adjust coilovers will allow you to change the travel by adjusting the damper.

I know that the ones that i've got on my car (ksports) allow you to change the height without altering spring rates or suspension travel. This gives you the same performance from the shock at all heights, the only difference is the lower center of gravity.

If you adjust the damper , this adjusts the "bound" and "rebound" of the shock. Not the travel length.

JasonGilholme
24-01-2007, 08:12 AM
If you adjust the damper , this adjusts the "bound" and "rebound" of the shock. Not the travel length.

Well when put my damper up to 100% my cars suspension doesn't move much (if any) but when its on 0 % its got movement.

I tested this by putting pool salt in my boot with the changed settings.

bennjamin
24-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Well when put my damper up to 100% my cars suspension doesn't move much (if any) but when its on 0 % its got movement.

I tested this by putting pool salt in my boot with the changed settings.

thats because the bound is "slowed" down. So , on normal movement it will be "Stiffer".
The actual amount shock travel is still exactly the same.
The effort required to move it has increased.

here is a interesting article of shock tuning
http://www.smithees-racetech.com.au/theory/shocktune.html

TEGNO1
24-01-2007, 06:40 PM
The ones you got you can raise or lower the car by turning the bottom part, this allows you to set-up your springs so their tight by adjusting the preload then you adjust the height by turning the bottom part which would have the same effect as shortening or lengthening the shock, (correct me if im wrong). I know i got someone to measure some civic buddyclubs and they were 210 and 275mm with the base wound right up at the lowest setting.
Im trying to get the optimum lengths to give me around 40-50mm bump travel,
later.

Rasputin
24-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I've got stock da9 suspension lying around. I can measure it if you want. But do you want the length of the coil, the shock end-to end, from mouting point to mounting point etc.

TEGNO1
25-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Yeah i measured my standard ones they were 250mm front - 320mm rear,
Measure the body only not including the fork on the rear, and not including the part that slides into the front fork, thanks.

bennjamin
25-01-2007, 09:34 PM
just remember as a general rule the shorter the piston stroke the stiffer the spring to compensate

Muzz
19-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I got the hot bits ones, they got the helper spring design, but they sent them waaaay off and incorrect settings, so ive got a chance now to get them built to my custom specs.
Shorter equalls more travel,
But too much travell = no clearance, no droop, bad geometry.

When you say shortened, im guessing they use a shorter shock shaft?
Your getting this done to give you more availiable bump travel? Or to lower your car without removing too much bump travel?

You will definatly have sufficient droop if you dont preload the spring, you wont be cornering at high enough g forces to use all of the droop travel created by sag from the cars weight over each corner.

Geometry will only change for the worse if you car ends up slammed on its guts, if you keep your car to a reasonable ride height, geometry will be fine. To much bump travel in the shock isnt bad for geometry, if your at a decent ride height, and your springs arnt super soft, you got nothing at all to worry about.

What are you trying to achieve by shortening the shock? more bump travel? lower ride height?
What sort of drop do you want for your car?

TEGNO1
19-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Yes your right.
Shorter shock body retain maximum allowable travel at a lower ride height.
Maximum means if you have too much travel you will not hit your bump stops you will hit guards on tyres and top control arms to body first.
I will not have the car that low probably 1-2 finger gap, but alot lower than standard, you cant really lower a honda very low if you want to retain travel and not make any modifications to increase travel, and if you want to go slammed and have travel you start hitting other stuff instead of bumpstops.
I was trying to work out a suspension package that allows you to go as low as possible with as much travel as possible considering the limitations.
I know why not just buy something and put it on, i did they made it wrong so i started calculating myself, later.

e240
21-02-2007, 10:08 PM
the "bound" and "rebound" of the shock. Not the travel length.

Compression and Rebound...LOL.