PDA

View Full Version : Honda integra LS 1990 rev problem

lil_lyly
23-01-2007, 01:36 PM
hi just need some help,
have a honda integra that currently just started having a rev problem. I'm not so good with cars so not sure if im using the right terms. The rev would go up to 2500rpm and then down to normal 700rpm and cycle between the two rapidly. It would just keep going like that and the only way to even it out is to turn the A/C on.
The mechanic said its the cylinder head which cost cost to $1000, but just want to make sure it that is the problem cause another mechanic said another thing that would be replaced for $300.
Any help will be useful. Thanks.

XB-16-AX
23-01-2007, 02:19 PM
firstly - what engine is in there? is this only happening when your on IDLE? (car at full stop, or at the lights)

there could be possible issues here:

DO THIS SIMPLE CHECKS FIRST!!
-Timing is out of place - get your timing checked.
-Your spark plugs could be dead - try replacing them and get the leads checked too.

LAST SOLUTION
-Spray come Carby spray cleaner in your throttle body - this might help as it will clean it abit, and maybe the TPS sensor's readings will improve.
-TPS (it ifs got one) could possibly be damaged - have them tested.
-Injectors may need cleaning - try doing all the above first.

VERY LAST SOLUTION
-Re-set your ECU - only last solution - your problem once happend to me, i just simply re-set the ECU and it was fixed. - but only do this if you have tried all the above.

the mechanics sometimes dont know what they are talking about and will offer the easy fix way out but charging you HEAPS for something that you didnt even required.

Give it a shot first and then let us know.

Good luck!

Mr_will
23-01-2007, 03:24 PM
IACV (idle air control valve) - inspect and clean with carby cleaner as per this thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4693&highlight=IACV

throttle body - inspect and clean as per this thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35488&highlight=IACV

both of those things are worthwhile doing, irrespective of whether they solve your problem

i would also inspect/replace your fuel filter, check spark plugs and leads.

XB-16-AX
23-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Good call Mr Will

IACV or TPS is the word i was looking for!!

the all of the above and see how u go!

:P

lil_lyly
23-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks you ill see what happens and try to get my brother to look at it. hopefully he knows what you guys are talking about. It's a DOHO engine, just standard with an air filter and yes it only happens when the car is IDLE or at a stop. Thanks for your help ill see how i'll go with the cleaning of the parts.

Mr_will
23-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks you ill see what happens and try to get my brother to look at it. hopefully he knows what you guys are talking about. It's a DOHO engine, just standard with an air filter and yes it only happens when the car is IDLE or at a stop. Thanks for your help ill see how i'll go with the cleaning of the parts.

i think you mean DOHC :) ie double overhead cam.

your engine is an OBD0 B18A1. AUDM LS integras (DA9) came with either OBD0 B18A1's (97kw), up until 92, and then from mid 92 onwards, they came with OBD1 B18A1's (103kw).

the imported da6 models came with the b16a, DOHC VTEC, but im assuming yours isnt one of those.

string
23-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Find a new mechanic while your at it.

lil_lyly
23-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks everyone. I went to the mechanic today and turns out my car is stuff up pretty bad. He said the cylindar head & gasket needs to be replace as it overheated from the radiator being faulty. He said we can't even drive the car and if we want to move it back home we'll have to tow it back home. Looks like I'm out of options now. Thanks for everyone's help.

ACTI0NMAN-1
23-01-2007, 09:20 PM
what state are you in, i'm sure one of the other da9 owners could give a look at it for you.

Mr_will
23-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone. I went to the mechanic today and turns out my car is stuff up pretty bad. He said the cylindar head & gasket needs to be replace as it overheated from the radiator being faulty. He said we can't even drive the car and if we want to move it back home we'll have to tow it back home. Looks like I'm out of options now. Thanks for everyone's help.

all that overheating does to the cylinder head is warp it. unless its warped very very badly, which is unlikely, unless you are crazy enough not to know your car is over heating, then it will more than likely just need machining.

you cant do the machining yourself, but replacing the head gasket isnt very hard, as long as you have a torque wrench.

i think it would be a very bad idea to get this mechanic to work on your car without at least getting a second opinion. imo dont let him touch it at all

Mr_will
24-01-2007, 01:22 AM
whereabouts are you located?

lil_lyly
24-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm located in Sydney, hurstville area. Yeah another friends mechanic looked at it and said theres something wrong with the cylinder head as well. He quoted the same price with it.
The car overheated about 2 weeks ago but we stopped the car a few times to let it cool down. We managed to get the car cool enought to drive it back home but didn't drive it anymore since that day. Only to the mechanics.

FR33K
24-01-2007, 11:45 AM
i highly suggest you visit hannys performance in smithfield..search the details.. theyre on here somewhere ;)

lil_lyly
24-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Do you know if the price their asking for is too much or is that usually how much it cost to fix the cylinder head? They said something about theres too much compression and their not sure if theres a crack or if it like broken and they only way to fix out is to open it up.

FR33K
24-01-2007, 01:05 PM
dont quote my on this but hannys may charge around that price to recondition ur whole engine...

Mr_will
24-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Do you know if the price their asking for is too much or is that usually how much it cost to fix the cylinder head? They said something about theres too much compression and their not sure if theres a crack or if it like broken and they only way to fix out is to open it up.

im pretty sure you mean not enough compression. if your headgasket is blown and your motor has been overheating (what you have described in previous posts) this is caused by the gasket not sealing properly - thus you LOSE compression, not gain it.

edit: i have seen b18a's used, in good condition go for around the price you have been quoted. if youre going to rebuild it, why not go turbo at the same time :D
cracking of the cylinder head is commonly caused when the engine overheats, and people pour cool water/coolant into the radiator while the car is running, or start the car before the coolant heats up a bit - the block is very hot, and when it comes into contact with coolant which is at a much lower temperature, the disparity in heat causes it to crack

ACTI0NMAN-1
24-01-2007, 04:45 PM
i'm sure 'hannys performance' can advise you of wether you should engine swap, rebuild, or recondition. visit them, then make a decision.

TRU32U
24-01-2007, 07:56 PM
i used to have this problem but onli on cold nights...
like let the engine warm up, the drive then when its cold like 10 degs out side @ about 70ks, when i get home or at red lights car will fluxuate the rpm frm 2500 to 1000....
chucked in a thermostat then car was fine after that...
but thats cause i knew i didnt have a thermo in there...
all up costed me about 30 40 bucks, and about 1 hour of my time...

lil_lyly
25-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all your help. I'm going to discuss with my brother and see what he thinks is best.
Also we just got the radiator changed and was wondering if we leave the car like that for awhile to long time would it stuff up the radiator? like rust and stuff to the point that we would have to change for a new one? or can we flush it out later and it will be ok to drive with?

TRU32U
25-01-2007, 04:07 PM
lil lyly, to your question with your radiator...
is it water in there
or is there proper coolant\anti rust\inhibitors in there...
if its water, i dont suggest you to even use it even if u do drive it....
use proper coolant n stuff should be fine
jus remember to start your car like every 2-3 days let it run a bit till temp comes up to normal, then turn it off to keep your battery charged, and insides all still lubed up ;)

lil_lyly
28-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi thanks for all your help. we've decided to fix the engine head/gasket. Will let you all know what happens after its fix. Fingers cross nothing else is wrong with the car. The mechanic did mention what you guys said about cleaning the varies parts within the car but he thinks that once the gasket and engine head is fix, it should solve the problem with the rev. Thanks for everyones help as I've learnt quite alot from all this. Will let you know how it all goes. Thank you

XB-16-AX
16-02-2007, 11:58 PM
so what happend dude? did it fix the problem?

any updates?