PDA

View Full Version : what are intake pipes usually made of?

a1086528
23-01-2007, 10:37 PM
looking to get an exhaust shop to make me a intake pipe for my pod and my question is what are they are usually made of?
is it stainless steel?
i know simota make a specific intake pipe for the jazz but i dont know where in Adel i can order it from. It would definitely be cheaper!

ACTI0NMAN-1
23-01-2007, 10:39 PM
i have the same question, i know is aluminium, but where to get it from to make my own?

aimre
24-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Mines allum.

Zilli
24-01-2007, 06:50 AM
my injen unit is polished aluminium

youd probably be able to get an exhaust shop to get the raw product for you and make the bends

aimre
24-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Are you after something like this, but to suit ur car?
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/82000081/Images/1/RF-H002-BU.jpg

just making sure im on the right page

a1086528
24-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Are you after something like this, but to suit ur car?
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/82000081/Images/1/RF-H002-BU.jpg

just making sure im on the right page

yeah thats it

egSi
24-01-2007, 12:59 PM
heaps of things mate, exhaust shop would be able to do something but i wouldnt recommend it, what a branded one?

they can be made out of: steel, aluminium, plastic, rubber, carbon fibre etc etc.:thumbsup:

aimre
24-01-2007, 03:20 PM
why dont u put ur pod on ut rubber hose that goes to your airbox?

aimre
24-01-2007, 03:34 PM
This is how i used to run
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/aimre/DSC02548Small.jpg

mugeneration
24-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Itd depend on what your setup is. I think mine is just light gauge stainless steel, but thats just me. Aluminum is lighter, but absorbs heat more quickly.

Exhaust shops usually only carry stainless or mild steel for their exhaust setups, though good stores will carry it (or get it for you). You'd be pressed to find anywhere other than an exhaust shop which would be able to do the bends well enough for you. Crimp bending is far less than desirable for intakes, and mandrel bending machines are far too expensive and require too much arsing around for most regular steel fabrication places.

Prefabricated ones, as mentioned above, are made from anything ranging from plastic and rubber to carbon fiber. I'd recommend one of the 'whale's penis' type setups, though this setup is ok. Just go to your local auto store (such as auto one, autobarn, or perhaps repco) you should be able to order K&N ones there. If you want a different brand, look under the yellow pages for performance auto stores.

muhhan
24-01-2007, 10:35 PM
I've been searching like a madman for a decent intake in Adelaide. The conclusion I came to was to stick to a name brand one that way you can be sure that they've at least dyno tested it (even if the results are fudged) and that it'll have the holes in the right places for the sensor and the recirculation thingy from the rocker cover (too caned to think of the proper name). It'll also have all the mounting hardware. And if you want to talk to people in the know try the traders on here. I find that talking to the guys in the shops in Adelaide, they often have no idea about Hondas, and unless you know exactly what you want (ie have a part number) they will more than likely misinform you.