PDA

View Full Version : buying a p72-1 head, technical help plz!

Muzz
24-01-2007, 01:16 PM
hey there, im buying a p72-1 head from a integra vtir. I have read that the head is off an obd1 engine. is there any concerns using it on a obd2 block? Ill be using a aftermarket ecu to run it.

Is there any particular areas i should pay special attention to, to look for excessive wear/cracks, especially on un-replaciable parts?
The head will have a tough life living on top of a engine that will only ever see race track, no nice friendly street driving. I want it too last a reasonable amount of Kms reliabily as i am not made of cash! should i be looking for somthing that has less kms on it? I belive this head has done anywhere between 90000kms-140000kms, told it is in good condition.

i will be completly rebuilding it, cleaning it all up and replacing the cams with toda spec Cs, using springs/valves/retainers suitable for the cams, replacing valve guides, doing a p&p, milling the base flat, valve grind. Any other wearable parts/machining that i sould look at replacing/doing before putting it all back together?

all discussion reguarding head work welcome:thumbsup:

muzz

Muzz
24-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Mods, is there any chance i could get this moved to the technical section? I feel there would be a better chance of the right people reading this, who are capable of giving me a helpful answer. I got no idea why i put in this section....

Edgeauto
24-01-2007, 04:58 PM
OBD1-OBD2, they are the same head so it doesnt matter. At that kms it should be OK i guess just look for visable cracks etc.

Muzz
24-01-2007, 05:00 PM
cheers mate:thumbsup:
anyone else, what to look for/check when buying a head?

TODA AU
24-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Avoid any head that has corrosion

Edgeauto
24-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Could also check the colour of the oil stain in the head, if its black be weary but if its golden all should be ok

Muzz
24-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone very helpful info:thumbsup:

Muzz
26-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Could also check the colour of the oil stain in the head, if its black be weary but if its golden all should be ok

what does blackish oil signify?

Edgeauto
26-01-2007, 01:12 PM
poor sevicing, the first place to suffer is the head. Can result in possible wear

Muzz
07-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Ok, my plans have changed. ive had the head checked out, and the clearances are well within spec:), im no longer going to do cams/springs/valves/retainers/ported etc. because if i did, it would be a good 3years+ minimum till i actually fully complete the engine and have it running.

Im going to basically have the head rebuilt stock and leave it that way till everything else is finished.

Im going to spend my money on having the b18b block fully built. Machined and fitted with high cr pistons, lightweight rods, knife edged crank, everything ballanced, bearings, water pump, oil pump, timing belt, cam gears, lightweight clutch and flywheel etc etc etc..... then put it in the car with the stock head, have it tuned, get it all up and running, so i can then chill out and slowly save for all the head porting and components, and also work on saving for other areas of the car at the same time.

My question is this, are there any negatives to running a fully built block, with a cr of around 12.5:1, with a stock head? The car will be fully tuned with an aem ems or hondata. i know it wont be the best combo, but if i do it like this, i can get the engine in much sooner ie, mid next year.
Any probs with running this combo hard doing open track days etc till i can afford to start the second stage, and completly work the head?

All advice is welcome