PDA

View Full Version : timing belt snapped?

h22a accord
24-01-2007, 07:51 PM
hey guys, just a quick question. Do the h22a engines have a free wheeling device if the belt snaps or would you hear alot of awful noise due to mashed up valves etc?

blk_shadow
24-01-2007, 08:08 PM
hey guys, just a quick question. Do the h22a engines have a free wheeling device if the belt snaps or would you hear alot of awful noise due to mashed up valves etc?

technically, u will hear alot of awful noise. depending on how fast you go too though.

94vtirozguy
24-01-2007, 08:16 PM
if your lucky you will just snap the timing belt.

if your not lucky, the damage can be a lot worse

blk_shadow
24-01-2007, 08:21 PM
...as all the internals will go berserk...and engine blew.

silver_screen
24-01-2007, 09:16 PM
yes im in the engine building field and i see it every single day...

its so painful :(

Edgeauto
24-01-2007, 09:40 PM
If it snapped at idle or cruising normally those motors are OK but if it snapped in vtec you can count on bent valves. Some people are lucky some aint.

h22a accord
24-01-2007, 09:57 PM
i managed to take the side cover off the motor and inspect the belt. it is in one piece thankfully.

belt was changed 70k ago.

ECU-MAN
24-01-2007, 10:46 PM
may of jumped a few teeth

I love it how everyone is quick to tell you your motor is gone

can you turn the engine over by hand slowly with a breaker bar on the pully ???

as edgeauto said, some cars simply wont get affected, and others bend valves.

worse case senario, head off and replace a few valves ( usually 4 ) and reface and install, cost about $1100.

if your lucky then just a new belt and your good to go.

have the belt changed, tappets set and compression test.

good luck dude, it may have some chance yet

Bowzer
24-01-2007, 11:41 PM
i managed to take the side cover off the motor and inspect the belt. it is in one piece thankfully.

belt was changed 70k ago.

Possibly the the auto tensioner probably failed cause the belt to lose tension. Did you reuse the tensioner when the belt got changed?

Good time to convert to manual tensioner and be done for :thumbsup:

J2daW
26-01-2007, 01:07 AM
yeah bad noises. snapped one on my v twin luckily only damaged one cylinder head but still smashed the stems broke 2 valves and bent the other 2. verdict: $1600 and a week without my bike. goes better now but!

h22a accord
27-01-2007, 01:17 PM
hey guys,
just an update...the belt has snapped. I wasnt pulling any revs when it happened, i think was around 2-3k rpm. I didnt hear any noises from the motor when it happened.

let see how lucky/unlucky i was when i get it fixed.

bigteethygrin
28-01-2007, 12:00 PM
rubber timing belts rarely completely snap.. usually they strip the rubber notches off the belt so that it looks in tact at a glance but isnt gonna spin anything if you try.

If its a manual then yes its likely the valves are bent as whilst driving the wheel rotation will push the gearbox and hence the engine along causing the piston heads to push into valves that arent moving in motion. the valves that are in the down direction at this time cant move up and so get hit by the piston causing them to bend.

BUT if you have an AUTO then theres a small chance you can get lucky. This is because when the engine cuts the gearbox like most autos do when not accelerating will disengage, and so the engine will not be pushed along by the wheels. This means that if your lucky no pistons have pushed up into the valves.

Anyways good luck with it mate!.. Hope it all works out for you!

h22a accord
09-02-2007, 03:40 PM
update- Have had the belt replaced ( the teeth were stripped ) and the good news is that no valve train was damaged and the car started fine. The bad news is that there is excessive freeplay in the front balance shaft which looks to be the cause of the timing belt failure. As the balance shaft has been moving in and out of the block 10mm, the balance shaft belt has been fouling on the timing belt gradually wearing away one side of the timing belt. the balance shaft pully has also been fouling on the plastic timing cover and has nearly work through it.

It looks like im going to have to take the motor out to enable the balance shaft to come out or is there another way?

ECU-MAN
09-02-2007, 09:24 PM
just dont put the balance belt back on :)

flipmods
09-02-2007, 09:38 PM
just dont put the balance belt back on :)
Ditto. just remove the belt and hold the shafts in place somehow to avoid rattling and vibration.

bigteethygrin
09-02-2007, 10:46 PM
uugh I forgot the name of the test its similar to a compression test but a little more specific to each valve. Same pressure sort of test where your checking for leaks fro very slightly bent valves..

anyways you should get that done coz car starting doesnt always mean car running as well as it should.. tho if your not fussy then i guess you'l be right afterall it runs :D

h22a accord
10-02-2007, 02:12 AM
ecuman- so u are deadly serious about not having the balance shaft belt connected? if Thats the case, is there pro's and cons to this method?

it seems a very easy fix, which i am not at all complaining about.

bigteethygrin- is that a leakdown test you are refering to?

The mechanic did a compression test after the new belt was installed and he said that they all read evenly with excellent compression.

bigteethygrin
10-02-2007, 08:06 PM
oh yah leak down test! hehehe.. mind is getting stupid these days

h22a accord
22-02-2007, 03:38 PM
anyways you should get that done coz car starting doesnt always mean car running as well as it should.. tho if your not fussy then i guess you'l be right afterall it runs :D

i must be very fortunate as i got my car back yesterday after a month off the road and it runs better than it ever has before. So I dont think i bent the valves the slightest bit.

:)