PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean my Crankcase Filter

c3024534
24-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I recently bought an EM1 Civic which has a K&N Crankcase filter on it. Its looking pretty dirty. Could anyone tell me how to clean it? I have already bought a K&N cleaning kit for the pod filter. Can I use this? If so do I use both the cleaning fluid and the filter oil or just the cleaning fluid?

ekhybrid
24-01-2007, 10:40 PM
just wash it with k&n detergent
no need for u to oil it

aaronng
25-01-2007, 08:28 AM
You mean a K&N oil filter which looks like this? :
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7194/hp10045xi.jpg

If so, you replace it with a new one when you change your engine oil every 6 months.

If you are talking about the rocker cover vent breather filter, then you just clean with the detergent.

Zilli
25-01-2007, 10:06 AM
just an OT question slightly

can i clean the stock filter than came with my Injen intake with the K&N detergent? because it looks like its the same, and if so where do i get the cleaner from?

Zdster
25-01-2007, 10:18 AM
just an OT question slightly

can i clean the stock filter than came with my Injen intake with the K&N detergent? because it looks like its the same, and if so where do i get the cleaner from?

Dont know if you can (maybe aarong will know) but you can get the cleaner at repco.

aaronng
25-01-2007, 11:36 AM
If it is a foam or cotton-based filter, you can. You can get the K&N cleaning kits from repco or autobarn.

c3024534
25-01-2007, 11:52 AM
This is the filter I'm talking about. So I just need to use the K&N detergent then? It seems to have oil on it now. Should I use the oil as well just to be safe?

aaronng
25-01-2007, 12:06 PM
This is the filter I'm talking about. So I just need to use the K&N detergent then? It seems to have oil on it now. Should I use the oil as well just to be safe?

That's a rocker vent breather filter. You don't need to oil it as air is blown out of it, not sucked in. BTW, having that filter on the vent can be defectable. Originally, it's meant to have a hose connecting it to the intake pipe.

c3024534
25-01-2007, 12:10 PM
That's a rocker vent breather filter. You don't need to oil it as air is blown out of it, not sucked in. BTW, having that filter on the vent can be defectable. Originally, it's meant to have a hose connecting it to the intake pipe.

Does this filter offer any advantages over the standard setup?

Zilli
25-01-2007, 12:13 PM
it prevents hot oily air from being sucked back into your intake

aaronng
25-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Does this filter offer any advantages over the standard setup?

Not on the street. If you had a highly tuned engine which was at the limits of pre-ignition and required racing fuel, then yes, as the oil vapour going back into the intake can cause pinging by reducing the overall octane of the intake charge of air+fuel.
Edit: Ignore what I said above here. It's wrong.

For our cars, no difference and cops don't like it.

DLO01
25-01-2007, 12:48 PM
If it is the Cam cover breather, air is being 'sucked in' to the Cam cover at that point not out. The Pcv valve creates the general flow from 'in' the Cam cover, through the engine and 'out' via the block to the intake manifold. Sure you can get pressue comming out, but general flow will be 'in'.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Temp/accord_pcv_657b.gif

c3024534
25-01-2007, 11:40 PM
If it is the Cam cover breather, air is being 'sucked in' to the Cam cover at that point not out. The Pcv valve creates the general flow from 'in' the Cam cover, through the engine and 'out' via the block to the intake manifold. Sure you can get pressue comming out, but general flow will be 'in'.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Temp/accord_pcv_657b.gif

If this is the case and air is being sucked into the engine then I should put oil on the filter shouldn't I?

aaronng
26-01-2007, 12:22 AM
If this is the case and air is being sucked into the engine then I should put oil on the filter shouldn't I?

Yes you should.