PDA

View Full Version : how to check tyre thread?

jenova
13-06-2004, 11:40 PM
When somebody says " it has got 80% left ", what does this actually means? And how do you tell if the tyre need replacement? :?:

vuvu
14-06-2004, 01:07 AM
the % left on a tire is onli a rough estimation... i.e 50% tread left means the tire is half worn
you will know if a tire needs replacing by the tread indicators.. the grooves on the outter side of the tread... hard to explain as there are many grooves.. but easy to show...
just drive it till they become slicks or if sparks fly off the canvas :D

ECU-MAN
14-06-2004, 01:55 AM
always go by the most bold part of the tyre, it dont mean shit if the tyre has stacks of tread in the middle and is bold on the outer edges,
a match stick thickness would probably be a good minimun thickness for tread left.......

Kit
14-06-2004, 03:18 AM
You guys are joking right? :roll: Try not to mislead people with false info. Last thing we want is something getting defected for have unroadworthy tyres.

As said before, when people say there is a certain % of tyres remaining, its really only a guess, cos there is no such indicator of how many % tread is left on tyres.

You can tell when your tyres need changing by checking the TWI (tread wear indicators).

To find the TWI, have a look on the outer edge of the tyre, where the tread meets the sidewall. Along the edge you will see a very small triangle at regular intervals (or a Michelin Man on Michelin tyres). Where that marking occurs there will be a raised line of rubber that runs along the width of the tyre across the tread of the tyre. This is called the Tread Wear Indicator.

So, when your tyre tread is worn so that the tread is level with the TWI, you know your tyres need changing (and as a consequence they are no longer road legal).

With racing slick tyres, as they don't have a tread pattern (they are smooth), obviously its not possible to have a raised line of rubber to indicate how much tread you have left, instead they have small holes in their tread to indicate how much you have left, the depth of the hole indicates how much tyre life you have left, when you wear the tyre to the point where you can't see any holes left, your tyre needs changing.

Chris

EuroAccord13
15-06-2004, 06:56 AM
If I remember clearly, the minimum depth of the thread cannot be less than 1.5mm...

CHEERS
Nick

wynode
15-06-2004, 07:39 PM
As Kit said.

If ever you are in doubt, take it to a reputable tyre shop.

vuvu
18-06-2004, 06:20 PM
haha kit i was onli fukin around
sif be noob enuff to let sparks fly off your tyres haha
peace

jenova
18-06-2004, 08:40 PM
thanks for the replies guys! i found the triangle indicator that kit was talking about., will post up some pics shortly.

Kit
18-06-2004, 11:57 PM
haha kit i was onli fukin around
sif be noob enuff to let sparks fly off your tyres haha
peace

thats the problem dude, some people actually don't know somethings are jokes and actually go out and do it!

mo
19-06-2004, 12:16 AM
I thought they also have those indicators in between some of the groove markings on the tyres?? or am I just off track here?