PDA

View Full Version : Whats a butterfly?

hunterD
26-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Someone was telling me to change my butterfly. Not sure if thats the proper term for it.

its the bracket between the air intake piping connecting to the throttle body.

anyone know wat this is, and what it does? I was quoted $80 to change it
I'm guessing it enhances breathability?

thanx

turbo convert
26-01-2007, 12:24 PM
ur butterfly is whats in your throttle body and goes open and close as you throttle sometimes they can just get sticky!

hunterD
26-01-2007, 12:34 PM
does it do much if i modify it? or no point?

turbo convert
26-01-2007, 12:44 PM
what do u mean by modify it? upgrade? change?

aznsiko
26-01-2007, 03:03 PM
the only time you need replacing is when its completely F*^#ED otherwise just give it a good clean with throttle body cleaner.. AKA carby cleaner.. (search DIY threads..) if you wana upgrade.. acnt really do much other than changing the whole throttle body..

Zdster
26-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Have a look in the sixth picture down (on the right of the page). The thing the guy is holding is the butterfly. As I understand it as air pushes past it, it goes from a sealed position (where it blocks the pathway) to open (or semi open) to allow air to move through.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0612_ht_bdl_throttle_bodies_tech/

hunterD
26-01-2007, 05:07 PM
what do u mean by modify it? upgrade? change?

yeah as in upgrade.

hunterD
26-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Have a look in the sixth picture down (on the right of the page). The thing the guy is holding is the butterfly. As I understand it as air pushes past it, it goes from a sealed position (where it blocks the pathway) to open (or semi open) to allow air to move through.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0612_ht_bdl_throttle_bodies_tech/

thanx alot zdster!

was just curious on what a butterfly is, now that i do.. dont think its worth doin anything to.

thanx guys

bennjamin
26-01-2007, 05:17 PM
the butterfly is"changed" when the "Throttle body" is changed.
IE larger throttle body needs a larger throttle butterfly :)

muhhan
26-01-2007, 11:45 PM
A butterfly is what comes out after a caterpillar cocoons itself :p ...if you want to clean it real good remove the throttle body. Might be a little more hassle but you'll be able to get in there easily and the crap won't go into your engine. I found that mine was still a little dirty even after spraying it a fair bit as I didn't remove the throttle body and couldn't get the brush into all the tight places.

kyle
27-01-2007, 11:12 PM
can't belive this isnt in the noob section. good mods we got.

Zilli
28-01-2007, 12:57 PM
what sort of areas are you getting clean by removing the entire throttle body that you can get clean when you just spray it in Mohhan?

muhhan
28-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I found that there was still some crud on the back of the butterfly at the bottom even after spraying it. This is the area that moves towards the intake manifold when you pull the throttle cable. The brush kind of just swirls the muck around and I couldn't reach all the way back in there. Hence why removing the throttle body would make it much easier. I only have two hands and it was already hard enough pulling the cable, spraying the cleaner and brushing the throttle body!...if only I had a friend :(

Also, on the Y4 throttle body the IACV is located on the bottom as opposed to the backside and this is extremely difficult to remove with the throttle body still bolted in place. When I had an idle problem I was trying to check out the IACV to see if it needed some cleaning. I managed to remove it but the breather hoses were stuck and I couldn't get a good look to inspect it thoroughly. Yes, I know this is different to cleaning the throttle body only but for the problem I was experiencing cleaning both the throttle body and the IACV went hand in hand hence my suggestion of removing the whole thing.

I think in the end I'll have to cut the breather hoses off to remove the throttle body and IACV to thoroughly inspect and clean them. My car is a 96, done around 210 000kms and I don't think the previous owners have ever looked at these things. My hoses are all stiff and crunchy!