PDA

View Full Version : amp or not?

rtsnoz
27-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Currently my 6.5" JVC door speakers (nothing special) are powered by the head unit.

i'm wondering if my small alpine amp will do a better job than my pioneer head unit. (yeah.... my audio setup is a complete missmatch of brands). I'm fairly sure it will do a better job. It is an alpine MRP-T406 (PDF DETAILS: http://www.alpine.com.au/downloads/web_owners_manuals/amp_owners_manuals/MRP-T406+MRP-F306+MRP-F356.PDF)

40W RMS, 90W PEAK.

The head unit says 50W X 4 - i presume that is peak?

Thanks
Rohan

teaseR
27-01-2007, 10:45 AM
any amp will do a better job and the HU unless the speakers are factory. lets say this but ppl might disagree, its better to have more power rating from the amp to the speakers.

Fhrx
27-01-2007, 01:27 PM
The more power you have, the more control (usually) you have. A larger external amplifier will not only allow you to go louder, but it should (if you get a high quality one) have better specs. Remember to pay close attention to the specs (http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/faq.asp#21) that really matter when choosing an amplifier too. Be careful not to get sucked in by all these power ratings floating around...:D

mugeneration
27-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I'd recommend getting rear speakers first then amping them all, but hey whatever you want to do.

Yeah an amp will make a difference to how loud you can go. They can also apparently help in increasing sound quality. Not that I'd know, my ears are stuffed from working with power tools too much lol.

m3ntAL_l2
27-01-2007, 10:28 PM
amp > headunit
just go to autobarn or sumthin tell them to show u the difference the speaker makes when its powered with/without a amp.
from wot i can remember from when i was buyin my sound system, the amp made the speakers more bassie & clear

trism
30-01-2007, 05:07 PM
an amp will give more control, more power, and thus allow the speakers to go louder before distorting.

Vinnie
31-01-2007, 04:05 AM
if u can hook up an amp definately do it. i had a set of focal splits running of the h/u for a bit and although they still sounded good an amp brought them to life so definately worth it to get the most out of ur speakers. and yes, the rating on the h/u wood be 4x50w MAX so it is prob only putting out around 4x18wrms...

also, with the addition of an amp it may be worthwhile looking at upgrading to a decent set of splits for the front stage... entry level pioneers can be had pretty cheap. :)

Fhrx
31-01-2007, 06:05 PM
I'd recommend getting rear speakers first then amping them all, but hey whatever you want to do.

Mugeneration insinuated above that we're all individuals and this is the perfect example. See I would disagree with the above statement and say this; you sit at the front and your ears face forwards so that is where I would spend all your money. Bugger the rear speakers. More power to the front and a little sound deadening is the next step for you (of course that is only my opinion too)...:D

XP02ED
31-01-2007, 06:35 PM
id say

splits at front

6x9 at rear, no need for sub and amp for an EG, its a small car..

arverson
31-01-2007, 09:26 PM
i rkn:

splits at front (amp'd n SD'd doors if possible)

no matter the size of the car cabin, no 6x9s will match the lows n loudness of a subby.

so get a subby, n amp of course.. THEN if u have money left n u feel its a priority, upgrade the rears.

ITRBoI
03-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Mugeneration insinuated above that we're all individuals and this is the perfect example. See I would disagree with the above statement and say this; you sit at the front and your ears face forwards so that is where I would spend all your money. Bugger the rear speakers. More power to the front and a little sound deadening is the next step for you (of course that is only my opinion too)...:D

i agree with Fhrx......you mainly spend ymost of the time in the front of the car not the back :angel:

mugeneration
05-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Well yeah he already has the front splits, so basically from here he can go the rear speakers or an amp.

PERSONALLY, I'd rather have rear speakers before amping because I like the sound to be all around me, rather than just in front. But if you just like your front speakers then just go the amp.

rtsnoz
05-02-2007, 04:27 PM
HAHA. everybody has gone over-the-top - answering questions i didn't ask.

What i didn't mention was that i already have 6X9s in the rear and a 10" sub, powered by a 4 way amp....

thanks anyway, i added the small amp to power the 6" door speakers, and sound has improved...! thanks!