PDA

View Full Version : Cannons,Silencer and resonators

Mystic_Integra
27-01-2007, 04:10 PM
hay, i dont no if this has bein dicussed but im just curious bout something....
i have a 91 ls teg:cool: , an still believe that my exhuast is still 2 loud..

i have a 3A Racing Cannon with a 4.25" tip wit a 2 1/2 cat-back piping, with a resonator aswel. but this is way 2 loud.this is the second exhuast system ive had on the car, but yeah, i stil want it a bit more quiet.

so here my options..
either buy a new cannon that has a removeable silencer...
or
get another resonator installed...

so which 1 should i do?
i was think of just get a new cannon wit a silencer anyways...an just putting on one more resonator on aswel..that should make a huge difference rit?

but my questions r..........

wat should i do?
would another resonator make any difference?and how many is too many?
and does a cannons tip size make any difference?
and would a silencer make a real sound/performance difference?

any ideas would b great. thanks

m3ntAL_l2
27-01-2007, 05:46 PM
4.25"??? isnt that illegal?.
if u want it to make less noise just buy a new muffler. say 2.5" or 3" tip. cost like $50 to put it on, way cheaper/easier than puttin another resonator in

bungsai
27-01-2007, 08:33 PM
2 and a 1/2 will always be loud, maybe go for a 2.25...its more than enough.

i added a second resi to my system (spoon n1) and its a great level now.

silencer youll lose power and itll sound crap.

aaronng
27-01-2007, 08:49 PM
No, 4 1/4" is not illegal. It is just the tip.

If you want to make it quieter, then go for a sports muffler instead of a cannon. Then you can have it a little quieter without needing another resonator. Alternatively, you can put another resonator in before your cannon.

Is the "loudness" the exhaust tip sound or an exhaust sound that resonates through the cabin?

silver_screen
27-01-2007, 09:18 PM
im runnin a full exhaust.. extractors, 2.5" exhaust including cat, 1 resi and twin cannons on the rear ;)

Its loud apparently *epa'd* but it sounds awesome :P

aaronng
27-01-2007, 09:37 PM
im runnin a full exhaust.. extractors, 2.5" exhaust including cat, 1 resi and twin cannons on the rear ;)

Its loud apparently *epa'd* but it sounds awesome :P

Is it on your RX-7? Turbos also provide some additional sound muffling.

EKVTIR-T
27-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Start with a 12in or longer hotdog/resonator and see how that sounds.It should take the buzziness/fartiness away.If the total volume is still too loud add an additional small muffler aswell.Silencer wont help too much either.I have tried at least 6 different setups to get mine sounding right and not buzzy or raspy at high revs but still reasonably hi flowing.Hope this helps:)

sivic
27-01-2007, 11:08 PM
just put in another resonator. should make a big difference and is the easiest option. put in the biggest one you can fit. since you're concerned about volume then it better off being too quiet rather than too loud and therefore no point in starting with a small one.

as for changing the size of the tip as suggested - not really an option with a cannon. would need a entirely new muffler which would cost more than $50

180sx
22-03-2007, 12:07 AM
just get a exhaust valve controller .... cost you like $80 bux on ebay

kid_dynamite
22-03-2007, 09:22 AM
You have a 2.5" catback which is as large as what I'd go on an N/A motor similar as yours. You already have a resonator on there, so I'd hazard a guess that it's your cannon that's causing the majority of the noise problems. (How large is your cannon, not the tip, the other side??)

Exhaust gases slow down in velocity as they cool down. Drone (resonance) usually results from having too large diameter piping for the volume of gases passing through it. So by the time they reach the cannon, exhaust gases are moving a lot slower compared to when it left the motor. And you can get away with using a smaller muffler.

I don't think adding another resonator will help things much because your cannon appears to be quite large and will be still amplifying noise (sorta like a loudspeaker).

So I reckon you should it's either: add a silencer or a smaller cannon.

A silencer is quite effective. It's cheap to make, will quiten things down heaps and removable if you need it. The trade off is that it won't be accepted by police unless it's welded in. It would increase backpressure, but I don't believe it would decrease performance significantly (most likely you would only notice it under heavy acceleration, i.e. high rpm. But this is something you could measure on the dyno if you wanted).

So a smaller cannon. Long term this is probably the best solution. This will definitely make a difference, and you'll be able to hear the engine, as opposed to hearing your exhaust. You have a 2.5" catback, so I'd say go for one with a tip no more than 2.5-3" in diameter. You can get plenty of nice off the shelf ones, e.g. Lukey, Magnaflow, X-force, etc.

RCS 20L
22-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Adding another resinator will help... U will notice a deeper throatier sound... rather than a high pitched farty sound thats loud and irritating...
The diameter of the tip on a cannon does not effect the sound at all. The overall size of the cannon does. The more baffling inside the cannon the more it baffles the sound. Look for a big body cannon, it should quietn things down abit.
Back to the resinator... use a quality resinator like the lurky type.. im currently using that. Its a big body type and long,.... if you look inside you will at the centre there is a split to stop resinance.
Hope that helps with your decision!!:)

TEGNO1
22-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi
I had 3 inch custom made, my noise level is 86db at 4500rpm, (90db legal limit), cost around $350, and thats with no resonater + i gained more power.
Or buy a hi-tech one they make legal exhausts and do alot of R&D.
I hate cannons they make everything loud youll be quiter just by putting a pipe in place of your muffler.

Limbo
22-03-2007, 10:49 AM
all depends on the quality of the muffler and the reasonator.

Silencers - are just a cheap method of getting canons to not sound loud all the time and are easily removed. They do no do a very good most of the time

Reasonators - are designed to quieten the car, they are your best bet in most instances, the reduction in noise will also depend on what they are made out of, their design(Straight thru, sprial, triflow or baffled) and also quality and size. Just rem some car cannot fit an extra reasonator.

Muffler - this is the most restrictive next to the cat. All comes to the quality of the muffler and design. Just rem each one is designed for a different function

Now here the hardest thing you need to understand.
The loud the exhaust the less retriction, the quiter the more restrictive. You need to make a balance for your own, to be legal and quiet or illegal and insanely loud.

There are some ways to max the quietness and have minimal effects on performance, that that's where alot of expensive mufflers come in

TEGNO1
24-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Here are pics of my muffler as requested.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p203/TEGNO1/mymuffler002.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p203/TEGNO1/mymuffler004.jpg

aimre
24-03-2007, 11:22 PM
is it straight thru in there?

TEGNO1
24-03-2007, 11:50 PM
yeah its straight through

aimre
25-03-2007, 06:44 PM
is that for the rexi?

TEGNO1
26-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Naa its for teg the STI has an xforce and that was tested at 94 on throttle and 97 on back off,
i dont think there is many aftermarket exhausts that are under 90db.
But i posted some more of my exhaust for Actionman.
Sorry thats the best i could do, its still on the car.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p203/TEGNO1/mymuffler2006.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p203/TEGNO1/mymuffler2005.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p203/TEGNO1/mymuffler2004.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p203/TEGNO1/mymuffler2003.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p203/TEGNO1/mymuffler2002.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p203/TEGNO1/mymuffler2001.jpg
As you can see no resonator but the 4 inch cat and turbo help to reduce sound level, na cars are more difficult, but mines 86db beautifull and i can enjoy my stereo and hear the v-tec kick alot beter.
sorry to everyone else for the boring pictures.

Limbo
27-03-2007, 11:38 AM
actually judging from your exhaust design it looks like a tri-flow with an internal chamber. that's why its positioned to one side on both inlet and outlet.
The straight thru are usually in the centre inlet and outlet to max sound reduction all the way thru
The offset straight thru are centre inlet and side outlet.

ACTI0NMAN-1
27-03-2007, 11:59 AM
oh you have turbo, thats how you get away with 3"

TEGNO1
27-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Actually the pics are decieving it enters from the centre and exits on the left, reason needed the tip on that side, however i could swap the muffler around if i wanted, i dont think its try-flow but then i dont know what that is.

Limbo
27-03-2007, 03:38 PM
ah then its a straight thru with an offset bend. Tri-flow has a straight pipe in and a chamber inside then a straight pipe out

EK4R
27-03-2007, 04:11 PM
just a another questions on mufflers.

what contribute the most to the sound from the exhaust? muffler or the pipe?

because my exhaust has a buzzing/rattle sound at 3k rpm...and its annoying the shit out of me. im guessing its caused by the muffler?

da928
03-04-2007, 12:07 PM
just a another questions on mufflers.

what contribute the most to the sound from the exhaust? muffler or the pipe?

because my exhaust has a buzzing/rattle sound at 3k rpm...and its annoying the shit out of me. im guessing its caused by the muffler?

i think it should be the muffeler.

lilwilliam
03-04-2007, 12:15 PM
i think it should be the muffeler.

i agree i remember when i was looking at buying a cannon for my car the exhaust place told me that some muffler's have cheap filaments inside them or sumfing which causes the cracking sound that u seem to be having