PDA

View Full Version : Removing hand brake cover on CRX...?

Stabo
29-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Hey all,

I have a bit of a weird question.

I'm wondering how to remove the handbrake handle on a Gen II (Jap Spec) CRX. (The plastic bit your hand grabs covering the leaver not the metal brake lever itself)

I want to put one of those after market silver handles on and I can't seem to be able to remove the old one.

It seems pretty damn secure, does anyone know any tricks, does it screw off? or pull off? Or is it permanently stuck on there?

I've seen one of those after market things on an Aus Spec CRX, surely there is no difference?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers all!

*Solved! Yes the handle just slides off (Both Jap and AUS spec) *tips: Wait for the car interior to get really really hot so the plastic expands :P or like CRXtasy said maybe use some lube :P Kinky!

CTR Coupe
29-01-2007, 10:40 AM
i know for a fact that on a pulsar they are part of the assembly(no idea about CRXs tho).
and attempting to remove the plastic handle results in destroying the handbrake mechanism (had to go down to Upulit to get a new one)
hopefully someone around here has fitted an after market one to a CRX before :)

Stabo
29-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeh im begging to wonder....

I've seen it on an AUS delivered, but this Jap spec one seems pretty bloody attached. lol

Hopefully someone can help :/

CTR Coupe
29-01-2007, 10:45 AM
does the button screw out(make it like a drift handbrake?)

crxtasy
29-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Yeh man it just pulls off, try and twist it side to side as you're pulling...it can be a bitch to get off.

Stabo
29-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Yeh man it just pulls off, try and twist it side to side as you're pulling...it can be a bitch to get off.

lol you 100% sure about that? On the Jap spec model? It feels like the bloody thing is glued/bolted on. I have tried twisting and it won't budge 1mm :/

I'll give it another good shot tonight and see if I can get anywhere with it.

Thanks!

crxtasy
29-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Yeh it definitely pulls off, there's no difference between jap and aus spec, remember it has been on there for maybe 16 years, try squirting some lubricant down inside the middle of it.. that might help, and becareful not to launch it into your a/c control panel or stereo when it finally comes off.

Stabo
30-01-2007, 08:43 AM
lol thanks for your help mate.

I managed to get it off yesterday. lol. Interesting trick.. leave the car out in the sun! The car was so hot, im assuming the plastic expanded a little and it came straight off :D

There was no way it would have come off that easily the other night, i was using full strength and it didnt budge. After the heat it pulled off easily ;)

Maybe a trick to remember in the future.

Anyways, case closed. Thanks for the help!

JasonGilholme
30-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Nice work.

Thats good to know.

Snoop_gee
01-02-2007, 08:59 PM
next minute u try to pull up the handbrake and next minute Kink! :S

SHIVERSS!!! :O go chase ur crx down teh street haha :D