PDA

View Full Version : *HELP NEEDED* clunking noise

gReY-oNe
29-01-2007, 06:19 PM
there has recently been a clunking kinda noise coming from my car everytime i take a corner sharply, turn the steerin when car is rolling slowly or when i take off (normally)

i originally thought it was my CV joint as it was leakin grease not long ago
but the problem was fixed
and my mechanic suggested that the noise isnt the CV

would like to know what other things it could be

thanks Bao

SiReal
29-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Usually happens when your swaybar nuts n bolts arent tight enough. So get under your car *safely*, get yourself a spanner and tightem those damn babies.

try this first. if this cant help, then god help us all ;)

P.S. i learnt this the hard way. hehe.. clunk clunk clunk. then realised. oh shit, my swaybar endlink nuts are too loose. tightened them up, then all good :thumbsup:

bigjo5
29-01-2007, 07:55 PM
or it could be soemthing wihtin the suspension area aswell.. just tighten lower control arm bolts, forks, the top of the shock, sway bars and ball joint.

gReY-oNe
29-01-2007, 07:57 PM
thanks for the replies
:D

there was a ringing noise earlier sounded liek a bell
so i got under the car and tighted pretty much everything i could see LOL
and the ringing noise is now gone

but the cluncking is still there
:(

destrukshn
29-01-2007, 07:58 PM
could be lca bushes.

EuroDude
29-01-2007, 08:23 PM
you replaced the inner and outer CV joints yeh?

I'll take a few wild guesses lol ~

Wheel bearings?
rear sway bar?
power steering pump?
dirty springs shimmering on their footings?
stick/object stuck in the wheel well?
loose rubber mug guards hitting the wheel around corners?

gReY-oNe
29-01-2007, 08:38 PM
ummm wheel bearings are fine at least thats wat the mech said
cos i originally thought the ringing noise was it
LOL

power steering makes a kinda different noise my fwens car had a p/s prob aout a week ago LOL but ill keep that in mind wne im chekcin it out tomorrow

dirty springs?? ummm wonna explain that abit?? kekeke im a dumbarse thanks james

EuroDude
29-01-2007, 08:48 PM
doubt its the springs but u never know sometimes :p
if they are dirty, they can get stuck and make strange noises. Give them a good hose down and spray some silicon grease around the footings ftw

bigjo5
29-01-2007, 08:50 PM
could be ur gear box maybe. the diff.

Mst_Mugen
29-01-2007, 08:50 PM
i had the same problem when i had my coilovers installed... it was kinda like a "poping" noise...... i only ever had that noise when i took a corner too fast or when i was tryin to park the car as both involved turning the steering wheel... try greasing up ur springs, mayb that might help???

bevis90
29-01-2007, 08:53 PM
^^ i get that also when i apply the brakes and when parking

gReY-oNe
29-01-2007, 09:12 PM
could be ur gear box maybe. the diff.

its a new gear box it better not be the diff i will murder them LMAO

i will try the springs tomorrow thanks alot for the help and will keep u updated :D

kraiye
30-01-2007, 09:10 AM
i had similar noise in my commodore. turned out to be a loose bolt on some bracket in the lower rear corner of the engine bay

gReY-oNe
30-01-2007, 12:02 PM
i had similar noise in my commodore. turned out to be a loose bolt on some bracket in the lower rear corner of the engine bay

LMAO :D thanks for that
i tightens all bolts and stuff and it onlli got rid of the ringing noise

its hopeless
-____-

SiReal
30-01-2007, 01:47 PM
u sure u dont ahve stripped endlinks?

gReY-oNe
30-01-2007, 05:55 PM
stripped endlinks??
sorry i dont noe much aout this stuff

my mech suggested its my springs

UBH320
31-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I had that clunk noise last time and it was coz of the sway bar bolt was loose and everytime I turn or go on a pot hole or speed hump it makes the clung noise...so tightens them up and all good...

But now that noise came back after me and my friend tried to put a strut braces (the H bar) but couldnt get it on as it was different lenght for the 05 and 06 Jazz so I'm guessing that the bolts isnt tightens hard enough...

:D

SiReal
31-01-2007, 12:56 PM
these are endlinks:
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7685/miniimg5805vm2.jpg

The bit on the end of the sway that connects to the sussy areas. sometimes those threads rust, and wear out from overtightening. Hence the stripping.

gReY-oNe
31-01-2007, 03:02 PM
OH OK
thanks alot for all the info
will go down stairs and check it out :D

SiReal
31-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I cant think of a reason why the springs would be shot. Are you using spring wrap? Sometimes when the springs compress, they 'clap', but it shouldnt be happening at lower speeds. have u ensured the spring is sitting properly in its cradle + top mount? perhaps give it a jiggle.

Twincam16
01-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Change your LCA inner bushings. They are worn out and the clunk is the sound of the LCA moving forward and backward because of the extra tolerance.

Also get the bearings tightened as it could be a hub problem. Im assuming its coming from one side...