PDA

View Full Version : Chrome off Angel Eye projectors damaged by water

Ru$kI
29-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Hey guys....

Recently I've noticed one of my angel eye projectors has been quite fogged up. I took it apart today with the aid of mums hairdryer to soften up the silicon, and a screw driver to help pry the casing apart...

Behind the fogginess i saw that some areas of the chrome have gone black and flaky like...kinda hard to describe but it basically now looks shiny black...

Any ideas on how to treat those areas so they will be back to normal chrome again?

Cheers,

Dmitri

bennjamin
29-01-2007, 11:30 PM
spray it with chrome paint ?
AFAIK , the plastic is dipped or sprayed in chrome ~ its a thin layer which doesnt take much to chip off. Once a small part has chipped off invariably the rest starts to wear off. If u want to do it properly maybe chip it all off and respray it or get a refund :S

Ru$kI
30-01-2007, 07:48 AM
cheers....yea I'll see how I go with the chrome paint...my brother's is into all these plastic war-time figurines n models (ones u glue together...like a tank, or a plane, etc), so hez got the paints and the spray paint tool with an air compressor to do a decent job of it.

As far as refund...was a private sale so out of the question man :(

Zilli
30-01-2007, 10:02 AM
you'll never get the same finsih as a proper chrome dip

NA15BS
30-01-2007, 10:26 AM
yap thats right zilli, i think better spray both of them with black

30-01-2007, 11:06 AM
black better the chrome :p good luck :)

defect
30-01-2007, 04:39 PM
yes do it black lads

Ru$kI
30-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Im half a mind of doing it black...but I dunno if it would suit my car...it has touches of chrome runnin thru...ill post up pics in the next day or 2 so if any u geniuses out there wish to photochop them 2 see how black angel eyes would look, it'd be much appreciated :) .

As for now though...I'm on the lookout for a reputable place that can re-chrome the housing off the angel eyes where the water did its damage...anyone know of any places???

RMN15N
30-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Im half a mind of doing it black...but I dunno if it would suit my car...it has touches of chrome runnin thru...ill post up pics in the next day or 2 so if any u geniuses out there wish to photochop them 2 see how black angel eyes would look, it'd be much appreciated :) .

As for now though...I'm on the lookout for a reputable place that can re-chrome the housing off the angel eyes where the water did its damage...anyone know of any places???

you can purchase chrome paint from autobarn , supercheap any one of those stores, should be one near you.

IMO its not worth it to get it painted at the shop, they'll charge you probably $200ish to paint the two headlights,

paint it yourself, the materials would probably cost you about $20 at most,
maybe even $10

if you are going to paint them yourself, buy the paint you want, either ;
Chorme paint, gloss black, or matt black

use some 800 gritt sand paper and a bucket of water and dip the paper in the water and sand it untill theres no shiney spots left or untill the chromes gone and there are light scratch marks on the housing,

then use plastic primer give that a quick 1 coat,

then apply paint color of choice, layer by layer

dont rush or u'll get runs and have to rub it back again :)

misteR_bilzz
30-01-2007, 10:15 PM
the black flakes are id say from high temps in ur headlight causing it to peel...

when u wanna repray it dont forget to use greese and wax because even when u touch it your finger tips are greasy... give it a good clean with that so that the surface is clean and when u apply the plastic primer it sticks and keeps it lasting long...
=))

RMN15N
30-01-2007, 10:24 PM
the black flakes are id say from high temps in ur headlight causing it to peel...

when u wanna repray it dont forget to use greese and wax because even when u touch it your finger tips are greasy... give it a good clean with that so that the surface is clean and when u apply the plastic primer it sticks and keeps it lasting long...
=))

i rkn the black flakes are from the headlight housing, gaps in the silicon
as he said before the insides of his headlights were foggy, most probably due to a hole or unsealed part of the headlight,
the wax and grease remover is more commonly known as "Prepsol"

one thing you forgot to mention when applying the prepsol with one rag,
have another clean rag to wipe it off straight after.

misteR_bilzz
30-01-2007, 10:30 PM
team work FTW!!! i think we should trade rep points =) hi5!

blu3illusion84
30-01-2007, 10:51 PM
hmm.. havent got that problem yet :p

RMN15N
31-01-2007, 12:15 AM
team work FTW!!! i think we should trade rep points =) hi5!

hi5's!!! :thumbsup:

Ru$kI
31-01-2007, 12:15 PM
haha...cheers guys...rep pts 4 both of u:thumbsup: ....but how is the quality of the chrome paint from autobarn?....and is it likely 2 match the original chrome coz i only wanna respray one headlight since the other one looks fine?

misteR_bilzz
31-01-2007, 01:30 PM
not to sure on the different variations of chrome from places like that as ive never used it.. but i dont think there will be a noticeable difference.

keep us posted ay.. maybe write up a DIY!

RMN15N
31-01-2007, 09:03 PM
sorry ruski the chrome paint is cheap tho,
u'll notice the diffrence because the chrome paint doesnt not come out all smooth,
after when this can sprayed chrome paint is applyed and dryed you cant see yourself mirror image, it will appear to be warpy
so best you sand both of them back and paint them, make sure you dont get runs cause u'll definatly tell...

aznsiko
31-01-2007, 09:59 PM
spray black.. lol