PDA

View Full Version : strut problem

jcz
30-01-2007, 05:33 AM
i am lookin to buy a dc5r which is lowered on king springs. the seller tells me there is some sort of strut problem on the right hand side due to wear and tear of the car.

however, another source tells me that the strut problem could have surfaced due to the lowering of the car on entry level springs. would it be wise to buy the car and fix up the problem with new springs or just not go for it all together?

Slow96GSR
30-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Is it on stock shocks and lowering springs or was it a full kit with the correct shock?

jcz
30-01-2007, 07:08 PM
think it is on stock shocks and lowering springs, it was the most cost effective option taken by the owner.

Rasputin
30-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Just the front, or rear on the right hand side? Or both?

Could be stuffed shocks, or bushings I suppose.

The seller was probably right about wear and tear, and your friend is probably also correct. Dropping the car (especially if it was a dramatic drop) on stock shocks will cause wear a lot faster/more severely than if it was left all stock, or dropped correctly.

aaronng
30-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Usually, if dropped by over 5cm, shock life is reduced to about 1-2 years...

Rasputin
30-01-2007, 09:15 PM
On stock, you mean? ... or Konis etc as well?

aaronng
30-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Each type of shock has their own ideal damper travel range. If you lower your car such that it is out of that range or frequently goes out of range when you go over bumps, then shock life is reduced. It's the same with almost all shocks.

Slow96GSR
30-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Exactly. If you lower the car with out getting the right shock the old one will be pushed in more than it was designed for. This means it can bottom out and this will damage internal parts lowering the life and raising the wear and tear. I would hit a shop and get the correct shocks with the new travel and pressures.

jcz
01-02-2007, 03:54 AM
he did mention that the problem inculded the axle as well ... so if i buy this particular car would i be better off changing the whole suspension to either coilovers or just change the shocks ? thx the help.