PDA

View Full Version : Driving My Euro after 9 weeks of rest. Need Advice

REV888
30-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Hi Guys,

Well, I m back & its good to be back to OZ!

Now...

After leaving my car unused for 9 weeks I hooked back the negative battery cable & started the car all fine.

The thing is the car feels really really heavy & steering seems stiffer then usual.

Could it be that I was use to driving another car that was once worth 115K ! Or is this me really dreaming.

Had the Wheels rotated and checked at Bob janes over the weekend and all was fine but still the car seems to heavy when I steer.

What could it be ? If it is not me dreaming.

EuroDude
30-01-2007, 12:24 PM
The Euro's steering is heavier than other cars so maybe its normal.

U could try replacing the power steering fluid. Or go to a dealer and test drive another euro to compare.

ps. after 9 weeks u may wanna change the engine oil.

REV888
30-01-2007, 12:29 PM
The Euro's steering is heavier than other cars so maybe its normal.

U could try replacing the power steering fluid. Or go to a dealer and test drive another euro to compare.

Just before I left changed my engine Oil, but doing my 40K service in March so it should be ok.

30-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Your hand are used to drive the lighter steering wheel car... after awhile you will get to used to it.

Driving my Accord 94 all the time, and drive o parents ODC 06 for 2 weeks coz my car was in the workshop.

First time i taught the steering wheel is so heavy on the ODC, but i get used to it. when the time to get back to my accord, my steering wheel so featherweight. So for my impression is just that your not used to it Yet after u away for 9 weeks. :)

kitbkk
30-01-2007, 02:00 PM
im still being away on holidays and i got somw questions as well.
when i get back to oz, i will have left my car for 3 months, after I connect the negative cable to the battery, what else do I have to check or do?
first thing is changing engine oil is a must right? also is a battery ok after not being used at all for 3 months? do you guys just get a new battery?

EuroDude
30-01-2007, 02:11 PM
If the battery didn't go totally flat then it should be fine.

aaronng
30-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Plug in the battery, start the car, let it idle for about 3 minutes, then drive gently. Drive at least for 20 minutes to charge up the battery. Then look at changing the engine oil.

BTW, power steering fluid should be alright even if you were away for 9 weeks, because for the whole 365 days of the year, the PS fluid is just sitting in the resevoir anyway.

Checked your tyre pressure yet?

gerard
30-01-2007, 05:11 PM
I just got back from a 2 month holiday as well.
As this is a normal event for me, I normally have the car serviced with fresh oil and a full tank of petrol, pump up the tyres and disconnect the battery.

The car always feel odd when you first get back to it due to lack of familiarity. However, a possible answer may be that the petrol in your tank would have the time to have its volatile components evaporate and so will be less powerful.

31-01-2007, 03:46 PM
yeh as aaron said, but i would let if idle a little longer it wont hurt, then test the steering slowly side to side and listen if there is squeelin or anything unfamilar noise could be steering pump or something, tho i havent heard of any issues with honda pumps at such low k's (honda have relatively good power steering systems) i wonder what you have been drivin with even lighter steering? i like to feel alittle of the road while i drive so i think the euros steering is quite good, my dad had a old legend (cant remember year, it was 2 door) and the steering was light as could drive with 1 finger, but didnt feel the road at all, appart from massive pot holes.

yfin
31-01-2007, 05:42 PM

I think that is overkill.

Peekay34
31-01-2007, 08:51 PM

I agree...why waste good oil...no impurities would have been added just because it is sitting there doing nothing. 9 weeks is not a long time. If any of the oil components had seperated by the time you run your car again they would remix back together again. The only way I would change the oil was if there was any eveidence of moisture in the fluid.

REV888
01-02-2007, 11:05 AM

I agree.

Checked Oil its ok checked power steering fluid its ok.

I think it was just of a case that I had to get use to the car again.

Only on 33K but will have to do a 40K service soon as car is over 2 years old now.