PDA

View Full Version : B18C Rebuild

Chronos
15-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Hey guys,

Just a quick question regarding a B18C rebuild.

I would like to know if a thrashed motor will run as good as new, after being rebuilt.

Some have told me that after a rebuild, a motor is as good as new. But a mate of mine says that his ITR (B18C) has lost it's edge after he rebuilt it.

Can someone clear this up a little?

Thanks everyone.

tanghy
15-06-2004, 02:42 AM
depends on quality of rebuild
and parts used to rebuild

SP0017
15-06-2004, 08:15 PM
as tanghy said.

what parts did he use for the rebuild?
did he have a dyno test after they rebuild?

LatinoHatchCrap
15-06-2004, 10:09 PM
have your friend do a compression test for all four cylinders and let us know the numbers.

Chronos
16-06-2004, 01:27 AM
Perhaps I should make myself a little clearer.

Can an engine (let’s say a B18C) be rebuilt, and still perform like it once did when it was new (< 40,000 Km’s)? What parts are changed in a standard rebuild? What additional parts must be changed in order to achieve original performance?

The problem isn't my mates ITR. I wanted to gather information about engine rebuild outcomes in general.

Thanks guys.

SP0017
16-06-2004, 11:15 AM
I don't see why it cannot be rebuilt back to original performance. Assuming you use the right oem parts and the right people build it.

In fact, you probably have to use oversized pistons which should theoretically increase performance.

The people i know with rebuilds have no problems so far with reliability and performance.

tanghy
16-06-2004, 12:51 PM
you get what you pay for
the more you spend on quality parts and good machine shop time
the better your engine will come out

go cheap and send engine to a dodgy shop
and don't expect the engine to last long

LatinoHatchCrap
16-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Perhaps I should make myself a little clearer.

Can an engine (let’s say a B18C) be rebuilt, and still perform like it once did when it was new (< 40,000 Km’s)? What parts are changed in a standard rebuild? What additional parts must be changed in order to achieve original performance?

The problem isn't my mates ITR. I wanted to gather information about engine rebuild outcomes in general.

Thanks guys.

everything is possible. I have a rebuilt bttom end with ITR pistons and balanced internals.
As to the reliability and outcomes. I dynoed 105 w/kw with stock i/h/crappy civic cat :thumbsdown: / exhaust no ps/ac and hondata.
Compared to a stock b18c2 they put down 88w/kw-91w/kw

Weq
16-06-2004, 05:59 PM
a general rebuilt involves:
-checking crankshaft / balance if needed
-check/replace bearings
-check rods/pistons, replace if nessecery
-replace all gaskets and and o-rings
-check/hone cylinders

i think thats about it... ur motor should be as good as new after.

Chronos
17-06-2004, 02:35 AM
a general rebuilt involves:
-checking crankshaft / balance if needed
-check/replace bearings
-check rods/pistons, replace if nessecery
-replace all gaskets and and o-rings
-check/hone cylinders

i think thats about it... ur motor should be as good as new after.

Bingo!

Thanks guys. I had some idea what was involved in a bottom end rebuild, but i wasn't quite sure. I thought bearings and all seals were mandatory, but i didn't even think about cylinder linings etc.

On a side note, is there anything worth changing on a B18C2 whilst the bottom end is open? Switching to ITR pistons maybe? Keeping in mind i don't need any extra strength, as the engine will remain NA.

LatinoHatchCrap
24-06-2004, 07:47 PM
it depends how far you want to take it. In any case when rebuilding a motor its better to overbuild as insurance.
- if you just plan on reusing the stock pistons i would just balance the rods/crank and stress test the rod bolts.
- I would also change the cam/crank seals and all the o-rings.
- Also check the oil pump and def. change the water pump.
- Change the head gasket.
- Check sleeves and piston walls.
I KNOW MY LIST IS NOT FULLY COMPLETE SO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD WHAT ELSE IS NECESSARY AS I KNOW THERES PEOPLE HERE WITH MORE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE.

Joe