PDA

View Full Version : engine problem...??

z3lda
15-06-2004, 12:13 AM
went to check out a gen2 crx....started it up..reved it, then the idle drops to about 300rpms.....almost stall....then it went back to 750rpms....reved it again, idle drops to almost stall again...happend a few times.

the guy said tahts cuz the engine is cold and hasnt been driven for a few months.

is this normal cuz the engines just cold and hasnt been started for a few months??
cold it be the idle air control be dirty and needs a clean (found this out through "search") ??

or maybe the engine is gonna go soon..?

any idea ppl?

civicboy
15-06-2004, 12:17 AM
hhhhhmmmm maybe its your cars dizzy...its better if you take it to a honda mechanic and you'll get the answer you'll lookin' for :)

88crx
15-06-2004, 11:01 AM
get a multimeter and check voltage when car is on and car is off

had similar prolem when my alternator died
as car didnt have sufficient power when on

car on : 14.* v

car off : 12.*

if that fail check the ecu reading under the passenger foot well
Count the flashs!
short flash is units eg 1-9
long flash is tens eg 10-20 etc

eg 1 long flash ;) hehe and 5 short flashs = code 15

search these forums for more info on ecu codes

check out www.crxaustralia.com forums

the boyz on there should help you out if you have more probs

:)

ToFuBoi
15-06-2004, 12:59 PM
take it for a test drive and burn it up around the streets for about 20min and then see if it does it again *thumbs up*

my eg got the same problem but its cause its cold i rekn... idle fluctuates from 2 to 1.5 to 1 to 1.5 etc... also look at the DIY section on OzHonda about cleaning your IFC or somehting like that.. guna do that today to mine :D

[[d a n n y]]
15-06-2004, 01:08 PM
it's the dizzy check the car's dizzy out

z3lda
15-06-2004, 09:12 PM
how do i check the flashing of the ecu..? do i like need some special equipment?

wats a dizzy?

but generally speaking there woulnt be anything major wth the engine, and i shouldnt worry to much about it.? worst comes to worst i would onli have to change the alernator?

btw...my friends buyin it not me. as i already just bought a delsol, so im just lookin out for him incase of any dodgy sales happenin.

thanks[/quote]

ECU-MAN
15-06-2004, 09:26 PM
an engine which hasnt been started for a while should not do that. the dude is pulling your chain. could be one of a number of things like what was said before. dizzy ( distributor ) ECT, IAT, EACV , leads, rotor button , I could go on, but to be accurate really need to look at it or at least check the ECU for fault codes. that crx should have a LED on the ECU to read out the fault code. Pull back the carpet from the pasangers floor well and look at the ecu while you flick the key to IGN, you should see the led do a quick blink. if it goes out and stays out its all good otherwise read the codes.

the thing to look for to find out the condition of the engine is when its cold, start it up and look for smoke from the exhaust, also under load with a worm engine. look under the oil filler cap for creamy substance ( water in oil symptoms )

Good Luck

z3lda
15-06-2004, 10:56 PM
what exhauat color should i look out for ? black is good or white is good? and if there's oil/water splurtin out?

thanks for ya help. much appreciated =]

ECU-MAN
16-06-2004, 09:51 PM
water coming out is just condensation, black smoke is a sign of the engine running rich ( PGMFI problems ) white smoke and be condensation as well as coolant being burnt. blue smoke would be oil. ( rings, valve stem seals )

z3lda
17-06-2004, 08:31 AM
ah.. now i know. cOol man

the cars got normal smoke like every other car when its cold...but when u start it up ..its like..."vrOoooOmmm....putt puttt putttt(on very low revs).."

Ryanair
17-06-2004, 01:08 PM
My crx does this - i've never had any engine problems, if you're worried get it inspected.

z3lda
17-06-2004, 01:10 PM
yea...my friend was driving it ..then he slows down to a stop at a red light...and the idles drops and engine turns off...strange...