PDA

View Full Version : Civic starts n dies, over n over...

adza33
02-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey guys,

My car (1993 sedan civic vti, manual) has been doin this problem since i got it but very rarely... i start it up, the eng starts the revs rise then dies, does this like 3times in a row... it eventually starts if i gas it b4 i start it up... and now its been doin it more frequently, im guessin fuel pump?? but though i'd ask 1st!! any idea's guys??

Adam

EuroDude
02-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Sounds like its the ignition switch, which can wear out over time.

Here's a DIY http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32333&highlight=ignition

adza33
02-02-2007, 03:02 PM
ohhh awesome thanx for that, although on accessory i have full power, there's no shortage at all....just the engine stalls, but i get it 2 start after a while...

Adam

EuroDude
02-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Yeh could possibly something else, such as a clogged fuel or air filter, or maybe the dry soldering points on the main relay, or bad cylinder compression.

adza33
02-02-2007, 04:19 PM
yeah i spoke to an auto elect and he said most likely its got do with the fuel pressure or somethin, so could be the fuel pump or the fuel filter...

but thanks anyway eurodude

destrukshn
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
not on accesories.
but when the key is on the "on" position. when the red lights come on the dash.

ECU-MAN
02-02-2007, 10:55 PM
common problems are main relay, ignition switch and ICM,

have them checked out

silver_screen
03-02-2007, 07:44 AM
you gas it b4 u turn it on?? and that works???

i hope u realise that, that does nothing at all.. its fuel injected.. all your doing is opening moving the butterfly and thats it. it could be fuel.. it might not be. Always check the 3 things your car needs to run. Fuel, Spark and compression.

Riviera
03-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Do they have idle adjustment screws and all the other bizz

fuel pressure regulator screw
idle adjustment screw on top of the throttle body... might be getting affected by sut build up on the end of it? im a member on honda hookup theyve got shop manuals on there i think might be worth the download and go through the trouble shooting.

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/?file=Civic88-90.zip might have to sign up aye thats all u gotta do nothing else

adza33
05-02-2007, 02:14 PM
ahhhh thanks all for ur help.... im gonna do a service 2moro and change everythin... if its not the fuel filter, then ill start lookin more into it....

Adam

SLOWEGG
05-02-2007, 04:08 PM
I had this problem awhile back, turned out to be my dizzy.

adza33
07-02-2007, 06:07 AM
ok the weirdest thing happened last nite.... i serviced the car (changed all oils n filters) turned out to be fine after, but when i was drivin home from a mates house the engine pretty much just died while i was drivin at 80km/h, i let it roll to a stop, tried starting it and no go...exact same problem (as above) but this time it would not start at all.... i was stuck there at midnite... lol, i openedmy bonnet just 2 see any obvious problems, then it made the noise when u 1st turn on ur ignition, i went back in and started it, then it was fine.... WTF? Now im thinkin it may be the dizzy, SLOWEGG what symptoms did ur car have cuz of the dizzy???

Adam

EuroDude
07-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Well the two times my Dizzy died, the engine stuttered for a few seconds and then stopped completely. I could not restart the engine after that, had to be towed to the mechs..

So thatmay indicate its something else such as the ignition switch or dry joints on the main relay.

Get an electrical mech to have a look at it.

adza33
07-02-2007, 05:41 PM
ok got it, im taking it in 2moro... again thanx 4 all the help.... :)

Riviera
07-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Just spoke to my dad about it, hes a mechanic they had a honda around the same year (electronic steering? like electric motors?) come in with that problem, it just stopped on the hornibrook bridge just stopped, the mechanic he worked for had the car for a whole two weeks! lol. the dead sheet thought he could fix it in the end had to send it away to nundah honda outfit cost my dads boss a fortune lol, and it turned out to just be a sensor. He couldnt remember where but he just said to take it to a honda dealer get them to sort it out unless u go over it... if someone up in ere knows

adza33
07-02-2007, 07:55 PM
mmmmm interesting, im gonna write everything down and tell the auto elects 2moro..... i tried starting it now, again same problem, but this time the lights on the dash (oil, engine etc) dissapeared until i put it in accesory then back to ignition.... so maybe ignition switch after all?? we'll see...

Adam

Riviera
07-02-2007, 07:58 PM
tru blu might be worth it aye. yea i think it was a 2001 model that had that prob but u know how it is lol

serpo
08-02-2007, 10:05 PM
your ECU might not be letting enaugh fuel or air in, wen the car is cold it will throw more fuel in but if its hot it will throw less in, so just check ur thermostatmake sure the computer doesnt think the car is hot

adza33
09-02-2007, 11:29 AM
hahah your all gonna laugh, but we eventually found the problem... Its basically the key barrel, the actual turning switch (accessory, ignition etc) connected to it came loose, but when we tighten it up it still comes looose and does the same thing....but i've ordered a new one and we will be sweeet!! there's a new one for you guys if u have the same problems!!! Again, thanks for all the help! :)

Adam

EuroDude
09-02-2007, 12:33 PM
^ I said it was the ignition switch in my first post, but noo u dont listen :p na just kidding

yeh a new barrel shouldnt be too expensive

Riviera
09-02-2007, 05:33 PM
gees guys whyd you all have to go get so technical *cough cough* lollie

adza33
09-02-2007, 06:47 PM
^ I said it was the ignition switch in my first post, but noo u dont listen :p na just kidding

yeh a new barrel shouldnt be too expensive

haha i told my auto elect that but he said nagh nagh, lol wanker! im gonna bag the shit through him now...btw he's a mate...

EURODUDE IS THE MAN! :) thanx mate!

Adam