PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like it would work? CAI idea.

BiLL|z0r
04-02-2007, 07:43 PM
There's much talk over the years about water into the CAI and causing hydrolock. I was thinking about a CAI pipe from the front bar with a gap in it. Basically from a hole in the front of a front bar (often where the spotlights go in some cars) to a pipe that point up towards the engine bay but stops a few inches before the engine bay. From the engine bay another pipe continues to the air box/filter and takes it from there.

My thinking is if water entered the intake pipe it would "fall" out the gap but in normal weather it would still rush air in. It might not be as efficient as a continual pipe but it's an idea I'd like feedback on.

aaronng
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
So where will your filter be located?

SiReal
04-02-2007, 07:47 PM
it'll probably pull air in from the engine bay as well. hot and phressshh.. yummm.

Chi
04-02-2007, 07:48 PM
I had injen style set up, sitting in my bumper.

Went to a cruise once, practically submerged in water on the freeway.

didnt have any probs with it

Honestly dont think it will hydro lock unless u submerge it in a tank of water and rev it heaps high .

I think there was a test before, from a American aftermarket honda brand that did something liek that and tried to submerge the intake in water and it didnt have much effect.

VTi_b0i
04-02-2007, 08:05 PM
yeahh ive driven in really heavy rain with mine, and its fine, i just dont rev over 3k in that weather lol

BiLL|z0r
05-02-2007, 07:14 AM
So where will your filter be located?

still a panel in the air box or some kind of enclosed filter in the engine bay.

ek4-guy
05-02-2007, 08:04 AM
nice idea man i see were your commin from you could have your first tube stop just at the mouth of a trumpet like the one on the dyno day

actually he also had a 90 degree piece of alloy tube that he got from auto barn my if it lined up you use something like that and then just mount the trumpet off the bottom of your box

also like said above ive got the injen aswell and basically i went with them cause they dont make a hydro lock product like AEM cause they are honest you dont need one

but wether its for hydro lock or or just cold air i think your onto something ive actually got a simalar set up on my commodore it has a pod but below the pods under the old air box i cut a large hole and fitted a trumpet to the bottom it doesnt have a feed pipe like your planning thoe

:wave: Darryl

aaronng
05-02-2007, 08:50 AM
still a panel in the air box or some kind of enclosed filter in the engine bay.
Cold air feed to the stock airbox is less likely to hydrolock than a proper CAI.

yfin
05-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Buy an Icebox for the auto euros. You can still use your K&N filter too if you seal the box better.

bennjamin
05-02-2007, 10:51 PM
an engine is always going to suck in air rather than water ~ you really have to dunk the ENTIRE intake arm into a pond or ocean to hydro lock.

Never heard of this happening anywhere but the US ~ ricer civics driving while the monthly floods roll thru.

aaronng
05-02-2007, 11:07 PM
It has happened to a TSX, but I think the guy seriously drove in to a 30cm deep puddle. Anyway, I haven't seen anywhere in Sydney that will hydrolock an engine except where the turnoff to General Holmes drive is. That place collects water.

Anyway, even with a stock intake, it's possible to hydrolock through the joints in the intake piping. My friend has driven a Tarago though a flood in Perth, and ended up totally hydrolocking the engine (engine had to be rebuilt).