PDA

View Full Version : tube and fin Vs bar and plate

[ricer]
05-02-2007, 07:24 PM
just wanting to know the difference between the 2 types of intercoolers

aimre
05-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Ill start of by saying, for street use, you probably wont notice the diffrence.

Ok, well tube and fin need larger and tanks than bar and plate to get the same amount of air through, this is due to the tubes being smaller in the tube and fin unit.

Also, the tubes extend past the core which disrupts the airflow on the inside, BUT as its a tube (thus round) on the outside (where the air hits the car) its slightly more aerodynamic, flowing more air through the fins.

Tube and fin core:
http://image-cache.nissansilvia.com/forums/uploads/post-31519-1159254445_thumb.jpg

On the other hand, the end tanks on bar and plate can be slightly smaller with same air flow as larger tube and fine, and internal areodynamics is better as the tubes DONT extent past the rest of the core. But unfortunatly, as is all flat on the outside, some air get forces around the cooler as opposed to through it.

Bar and Plate core:
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/30056624/Images/ic-gy-core.jpg

I hope the pic i drew can explain the EXTERNAL aerodynamics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/aimre/coolers.jpg

DLO01
06-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Have a look here, excellent site. This will probably explain everything. Saves me rambling on anyway. :p

http://www.are.com.au/feat/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm

[ricer]
06-02-2007, 04:40 PM
so, a bar and plate is good cause it can be smaller... but it doesnt allow as much air to the radiator..
where as the tube and fin has to be larger for the same volume, but allows more air to flow to radiator..?

one of my friends told me that tube and fin is better because it has less pressure loss if i were to get a small tube and fin? is this correct? does this mean there will be less turbo lag with a tube and fin intercooler?

the piping i have now is all 2inch as well if that changes anything.

thanks for the replys so far!

aimre
07-02-2007, 03:32 AM
;1058227']so, a bar and plate is good cause it can be smaller... but it doesnt allow as much air to the radiator..
where as the tube and fin has to be larger for the same volume, but allows more air to flow to radiator..?

one of my friends told me that tube and fin is better because it has less pressure loss if i were to get a small tube and fin? is this correct? does this mean there will be less turbo lag with a tube and fin intercooler?

the piping i have now is all 2inch as well if that changes anything.

thanks for the replys so far!

Not only does bar and plate not allow air through to the radiator, but also through itself, thus lowering its cooling capabilities.

With 2 coolers, the exact same size, one tube and fin, the other bar and plate, there will be a biiger pressure drop through the tube and fin one. To stop this pressure loss, you must get a bigger tube and fin cooler.

BUT, all these differences on a strret car can pretty much not be noticed.

Each cooler has a pro and a con. Bar and plate cools less, but flows better, while the other flows less but cools better. I recomend getting whatever u can, in the size u need. chances are you wont noticew the difrence at all.

Though on that note, bar and plate is considered Superior some companies, including AVO. Check www.justjap.com (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/www.justjap.com) for some cheap coolers, including a few with 2 inch end tanks

[ricer]
07-02-2007, 07:44 AM
cool thanks for your help
yeah thats where i noticed the coolers on the just jap site..
they had bar and plate and a tube and fin for the same $149 price...

only downfall is they dont have any black ones :(

aimre
07-02-2007, 12:35 PM
;1058946']cool thanks for your help
yeah thats where i noticed the coolers on the just jap site..
they had bar and plate and a tube and fin for the same $149 price...

only downfall is they dont have any black ones :(

only costs $151 for a back one.

$149 (cooler) + $2 (spray paint) = $151

RCS 20L
08-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Tube and fin looks like the go.... Just make sure its been pressure and flow tested.... most reputable brands will give you that information.....

[ricer]
08-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Tube and fin looks like the go.... Just make sure its been pressure and flow tested.... most reputable brands will give you that information.....

Thanks for the advice dude :thumbsup:

aimre
08-02-2007, 11:31 AM

Why tube and fin?

For the same size as bar and plate, tube and fin causes larger pressure drops, AND can't flow aw well due to tubes extending pest the end of the core.

While bar and plate only suffers slight less EXTERNAL aerodynamics.

When we have little room for coolers, like on our hondas, u need a small core that will flow most. Bar and plate is the obvious choice. It has MORE FLOW per cm of volume it takes up.

STOCK
09-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Think about how much power/boost you want to make/run, then decide if it will make a difference in your application.

aimre
09-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Think about how much power/boost you want to make/run, then decide if it will make a difference in your application.

How does that change anything? Bar and plate is superior for low space set ups

22-02-2007, 09:17 PM
since this topic hasnt had a reply for about 10 days, instead of making a new topic ill ask here.

How do you get your custom intercooler piping done, id think it would be before you place the turbo onto your car..
but do you just take your car to an exhaust place while its still N/A and they place the intercooler where its going to be and measure the piping by removing your n/a gear , and then temporarily connecting the intercooler to see fitment and correct piping length etc?
then they hook your car back to n/a spec

[ricer]
22-02-2007, 09:53 PM
im sure the left side, the cold side would be the same
but the side which connects to the turbo would pretty much vary because the manifold youd be getting could position ur turbo differently...

i was told they could take my header off, get a template, put it back on and then drive my car off and come back and pick up the manifold when it was ready...

DLO01
23-02-2007, 06:09 AM
since this topic hasnt had a reply for about 10 days, instead of making a new topic ill ask here.

How do you get your custom intercooler piping done, id think it would be before you place the turbo onto your car..
but do you just take your car to an exhaust place while its still N/A and they place the intercooler where its going to be and measure the piping by removing your n/a gear , and then temporarily connecting the intercooler to see fitment and correct piping length etc?
then they hook your car back to n/a spec

I am going to drive my car with is current original NA setup to my Piping Dude with my intercooler already mounted in place. I am giving him my turbo, wastegate, Bov and flanges in a box.

He then can take the NA exhaust and Intake piping off and then do his thing making my exhaust manifold to mount the turbo and wastgate, hes also doing my exhaust. He then can do my intake piping. All complete I was going to tow the car back home to complete the rest of the gear that needs to go on, injectors, ecu, oil lines etc.

From there its a mater of towing the completed car to the dyno for tunning.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup: