PDA

View Full Version : A New Key Costs $200+!!! Ouch!

honest muz
06-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Last week I wanted to get a spare key for a new civic. I just needed the key, without the electronic immobiliser. So that's the blank, milled to my shape. Mr Minit doesn't have the blank. So the dealer wanted $99 for the blank, and $50 to cut it. Yeoowwwch.

And that's just the hunk of metal.

The story ended well. I spent just $35 and got the blank, cut, but no immobiliser. The blank is a new one (Silca hon66gp) and the whole thing got sorted by a locksmith in Pitt St. I'd like to recommend the name of the locksmith but I'll probably look like a seller, which I'm not. I'd hate to get another post moved to the market place. :angel:

rhk
06-02-2007, 03:37 PM
tell me about it, honda aus are complete nazis with lost keys (hving said that i dunno if other companies are aswell but neway) but having said that you should look on ebay for cheap honda keys. a friend of mine found replica honda keys with imobilisers for like 15$ a key and all he needed was some immobiliser code or something or other. ill get more details next time i see him, but he had it happen to his crv and thats how he found out about these keys.

Geekstar
07-02-2007, 10:43 AM
I got my key cut for my ek in it cost me like $90. $40 for blank key(honda dealer) $5 for cut(locksmith) and $45 for some chipping thing into the key(honda dealer).

EuroDude
07-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Thats how the Auto business works. they sell the car as cheap as possible to be competitive, and regain the loss by charging you high prices for accessories and replacement parts.

Drew
08-02-2007, 08:49 AM
tell me about it, honda aus are complete nazis with lost keys

It's not just Honda and it's not just Australia...

In NZ I had to get a spare key for my Jap Accord Wagon... $50 for a normal blank, the car doesn't have an immobilizer ... and $450 for the key less entry remote and $350 for the cargo bay roll out cover thing

I left it at that and didn't even bother asking about a roof rack let alone a tow bar

Every manufacturer is like that these days... You can't exactly pop down to SuperCheap and pickup a blank or the key less entry remote for $2.99
You have no choice but to go to the stealership and pay through your nose for the stuff, because there is no where else to go and they take advantage of that...

But hey they have to make their money somehow, just don't loose your keys

honest muz
08-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Thats how the Auto business works. they sell the car as cheap as possible to be competitive, and regain the loss by charging you high prices for accessories and replacement parts.

Man,
I'm ok with people making profit, else they wouldn't be building such beautiful cars. And the idea that they make every replacement item a proprietry Honda owned IP is fine with me too.

But a straight key blank, no electronics, no cut for $100 is not a good deal AND I've found an alternative with the Silca brand blank.

I don't know how they sleep at night:)

Drew
08-02-2007, 09:19 AM
They probably sleep like a baby on mattresses stuffed with $1000 notes :P

~Sp33~
09-02-2007, 12:18 AM
My EF blank key cost me 15$ :)