PDA

View Full Version : Civic Sport vs Mazda 3

Zdster
06-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi all,

Family member is thinking about purchasing a new car and has started comparing the sport to sp23. Both cars are in a similar RRP range (just over $30) and both cars have very similar specs. Now at this point neither car has been driven, but test drives will be done shortly. Both cars will also be automatic. Just curious to hear what peoples thoughts on this were . . .

I recognise that this is a Honda forum at the views will be slanted, but would like to here some objective opinions.

MKI4EVA
06-02-2007, 02:20 PM
so you mean SP23 mate?

Mazda for the win cause more hp.

if you wanted to compare a manaual sports to man SP23 I can help if in syd.

Zdster
06-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Sorry, your right. Sp23 and auto :). I am also in Melbourne, but thanks for the offer.

The extra amount of horsepower is marginal (2kw?) and plus it is going to a family member who doesnt drive it particularly hard.

Curious to here what everyone else has to say as these to cars are very similar in specs.

Mrrevolution
06-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Your family member, should consider resale value, what has a higher resale value out of the two. Both are heaps nice cars and im sure either one will be great for the purpose. Id go for the honda, not being biased just mainly civic has a good resale value.

rhk
06-02-2007, 03:15 PM
id take the civic just ebcause i own one, but having said that the sp23 is definatley still a very good car.

the only thing that i can say (which does not work for you lol) is just that the throw and clutch are a hell of a lot longer than the civics. i dont know about other people but i prefer small throws and small clutch engagement.

um the interior of the sp23 is pretty nice with big chunky buttons on the radio so its easy to select track etc, imo the steering feel is better on a 3 and the car does tend to roll a bit less. however having said that the sp23 or any 3 (im pretty sure but i may be wrong) doesnt seem to have a sunroof option which i would want.

btw, resale value on 3s are quite good and very comparable to the civic. there are 04s (sport not sp23) selling at 25k still.

however the best selling point for the mazdas imo are the paint. comparing paint from other factory paint, mazda goes that extra bit further and has some crazy pearlescent paint option available these days ie red with a yellow base coat blue with purple base coat etc etc. its damn good lol

neways hope my hungover typings helped

Miss_GTI
06-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh thats a tough one!! Coz I at one stage or another wanted both (not at the same time!) but the civic seems considerably larger in body than the sp23 and I am one who likes to set the trend, sooo... too many mazda 3's out there! But I guess the civic is catching up.

I think they both deserve a test drive before any real decision can be made.. esp if manual coz feel in the gear change is particularly important. I guess maybe if performance wise, specs are quite similar, then u gotta start looking towards the knick knacks of the cars... :)

aaronng
06-02-2007, 03:37 PM
*All prices are RRP*

Leather is a $3000 option on the SP23, while it is standard on the Civic Sport.
So for an auto with leather,
Civic Sport: $32,490
Mazda3 SP23: $34,860

And for an extra $1000, the SP23 offers DSC and TC, which is not available in the Civic Sport. At that price range of $35,860, you're better off with a base auto Euro ($35,990).

rhk
06-02-2007, 03:41 PM
id probably go with the base euro if i had the extra money aswell.

Miss_GTI
06-02-2007, 03:50 PM
*All prices are RRP*

And for an extra $1000, the SP23 offers DSC and TC, which is not available in the Civic Sport. At that price range of $35,860, you're better off with a base auto Euro ($35,990).

Hmm... yes, thats quite a bit on top! But the $3k is a package... u get BOSE speakers, leather and something like diff wheels/door handles! :) But like I said before, "knick knacks"! :p

I paid $1890 extra for my leather seats that burn my legs in the summer! It's all good! haha

Zdster
06-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the responses so far.

*All prices are RRP*

This is very interesting. The feeling with euro however was that it 'felt' larger than the civic. *edit* I just checked the specs and it seems that it is only around 3cm's longer all around.

yourfather
06-02-2007, 04:11 PM
civic and euro very close competitors.

with the sport, they both have K series motors.

both fwd,

i'd save a few extra coin and go euro

but if pressed to choose from the two

Civic design in my opinion is better, and the sp23 is starting to look a little dated, like the mazda 6 does now.

aaronng
06-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Hmm... yes, thats quite a bit on top! But the $3k is a package... u get BOSE speakers, leather and something like diff wheels/door handles! :) But like I said before, "knick knacks"! :p

I paid $1890 extra for my leather seats that burn my legs in the summer! It's all good! haha

The 2007 Civic Sport gets the nice EP3 CTR 17" rims as well. How's the audio system though? I've given up on the "BOSE" brand name as they are overrated, especially when it comes to car audio.

aaronng
06-02-2007, 04:28 PM
This is very interesting. The feeling with euro however was that it 'felt' larger than the civic. *edit* I just checked the specs and it seems that it is only around 3cm's longer all around.
Yeah, the clincher will be whether if your family member is willing to give up on the leather and the beautiful 17" rims! The base Euro's rims are shitty.....

yourfather
06-02-2007, 04:46 PM
if your seats are burning your legs, maybe invest in some pants?

dal
06-02-2007, 04:52 PM
The RRP are similar, but look carefully the civic will give you more. Things like sunroof and leather seats. Really depends on personal preference if they mean anything to you. The civic is also more spacious at the front and has a more futuristic interior. I feel a little lack of leg room when I drove the Mazda.

Zdster
06-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Its a real shame that the civic doesnt come with 'VSA' and traction control. Now if it had that I think it would be the go without to much hesitation.

Mattski_VTIR
06-02-2007, 05:24 PM
With both cars being so close i think it really comes down to personal preference. A friend of mine has an SP23 with the "sports" pack. I wouldn't order the pack for the stereo though... most OEM stereo's even the "bose" upgrade arent all that great, although better than the standard 3. I think you need to make your desicion on preference of styling / features rather than engine specs etc, as i would imagine build quality, servicing cost etc are very close between the two.

aaronng
06-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Its a real shame that the civic doesnt come with 'VSA' and traction control. Now if it had that I think it would be the go without to much hesitation.

I have VSA and traction contol and turn it off all the time :p
The only time it is useful is when taking off uphill in the rain, or in the snow.

Spicey
06-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Sif get a Mazda! They are everywhere now!

Go the sport! that way you are getting a Honda and a more "exclusive" car!

aaronng
06-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Sif get a Mazda! They are everywhere now!

Go the sport! that way you are getting a Honda and a more "exclusive" car!

Civics are EVERYWHERE too!

Zdster
06-02-2007, 06:12 PM
I have VSA and traction contol and turn it off all the time :p
The only time it is useful is when taking off uphill in the rain, or in the snow.

I suspect that we drive significantly differently to how this car will be used :).

I am suprised that the comparison between the two cars hasnt been raised before considering how similar the two are.

IAMVTEC
06-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Get the Civic Sport. I dont like the styling of the Mazda 3. Its an ugly car, but then I dont like the styling of any of current Mazda range. I saw an unregistered CX7 driving on the road today, I wasnt too impressed since it look better in pictures than actual life. Rx8 once fitted with a good bodykit looks very nice but all other Mazda is very bad looking.

And obviously the Accord Euro is a bigger car than the Civic. I feel the inside is very similar, but outside looks bigger and the feeling of driving Accord is much more heavier than a Civic. It may have to do with the bigger steering wheel, but Civic feels like a small car to drive, Accord doesnt.

aaronng
06-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I suspect that we drive significantly differently to how this car will be used :).

I am suprised that the comparison between the two cars hasnt been raised before considering how similar the two are.

When not on track, I'm a granny driver, that should be a similar style to how your mum or gran would drive. How else do I get 6.5L/100km on the freeway and 10L/100km in the city? :p

But once when VSA activated, it was downright scary. Traction control is useful but rarely activated unless in the rain.

Well, on one car you are paying for the engineering and on the other, you are paying for the luxury. Value for money-wise, the Euro wins. Luxury-wise, the Civic wins (but the Euro's seat comfort and audio system rate pretty high too)

Nugget02
06-02-2007, 08:46 PM
yep! my bro drives a euro n theyre verrry fine indeed :thumbsup: especially audio wise,, even for stocks, the 6x9s in the bac will perform... altho for some reason the speaker cavity in the back passenger doors are empty,, hrmm.. suss,,,,, hey aaron,, is urs like this too?

**Ghost**
06-02-2007, 09:02 PM
having driven a civic sport (joyriding test drive at dealer) and a SP23.... i reckon get

1. SP23 for a more sporty drive

2. a Euro or even a USDM accord VTI with K24 for comfot

the civic sport isnt really sporty for that price and isnt really comfy or that price...

aaronng
06-02-2007, 09:06 PM
And obviously the Accord Euro is a bigger car than the Civic. I feel the inside is very similar, but outside looks bigger and the feeling of driving Accord is much more heavier than a Civic. It may have to do with the bigger steering wheel, but Civic feels like a small car to drive, Accord doesnt.

Have you driven an Accord Euro? They feel as small as the TS version of the Holden Astra and the Euro is more nimble (turns quicker).

Also, the Accord Euro and Civic Sport are almost the same size:

Euro Civic
Length (mm) 4665 4550
Width (mm) 1760 1750
Height (mm) 1445 1435
Wheelbase (mm) 2670 2700

The Euro is 11.5 cm longer, 1 cm wider and 1 cm taller. That is not much difference, less than the size of a male organ.

aaronng
06-02-2007, 09:13 PM
yep! my bro drives a euro n theyre verrry fine indeed :thumbsup: especially audio wise,, even for stocks, the 6x9s in the bac will perform... altho for some reason the speaker cavity in the back passenger doors are empty,, hrmm.. suss,,,,, hey aaron,, is urs like this too?

Yup, the rear door speaker pods are empty because AUDM model has only 6 speakers. In the USDM TSX, there are 8 speakers and two of them are mounted in the rear door.

Miss_GTI
06-02-2007, 10:23 PM
if your seats are burning your legs, maybe invest in some pants?

hahaha funny one!! i'm sure that u'd rather see me in something other than pants tho! :p

The Euro is 11.5 cm longer, 1 cm wider and 1 cm taller. That is not much difference, less than the size of a male organ.

What an interesting comparison u have there...

aaronng
06-02-2007, 10:33 PM
having driven a civic sport (joyriding test drive at dealer) and a SP23.... i reckon get

1. SP23 for a more sporty drive

2. a Euro or even a USDM accord VTI with K24 for comfot

the civic sport isnt really sporty for that price and isnt really comfy or that price...
The Euro is less comfortable than the Civic Sport. Road bumps go into cabin pretty hard.

aaronng
06-02-2007, 10:34 PM
What an interesting comparison u have there...
It's easier to imagine the difference when people have something to compare with ;)

IAMVTEC
06-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Yea Ive driven Euro around, for 2 days actually. I dont know if its because I drive Civic too much but Euro feels very heavy to me. Maybe its not the car, but the wheel feels heavy and has quite strong resistance. Ive driven lots of other cars(usually smaller cars since theyre all my friends) but not as heavy in feel as Accord.

aaronng
06-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Yea Ive driven Euro around, for 2 days actually. I dont know if its because I drive Civic too much but Euro feels very heavy to me. Maybe its not the car, but the wheel feels heavy and has quite strong resistance. Ive driven lots of other cars(usually smaller cars since theyre all my friends) but not as heavy in feel as Accord.

You mean the steering feel? That's totally different to whether a car is "heavy" when turning. Steering feel depends on the amount of power assistance. In the Euro, assistance is minimised. In the Civic, I think it uses electrically assisted power steering, so the assist is much more constant. Civic's steering wheel is light.

Miss_GTI
06-02-2007, 10:54 PM
You mean the steering feel? That's totally different to whether a car is "heavy" when turning. Steering feel depends on the amount of power assistance. In the Euro, assistance is minimised. In the Civic, I think it uses electrically assisted power steering, so the assist is much more constant. Civic's steering wheel is light.

Hmm... I haven't driven the Civic.. but I actually find the Euro steering is quite light compared to my GTI (or maybe something is wrong with the Euro *shrugz*)

aaronng
06-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Hmm... I haven't driven the Civic.. but I actually find the Euro steering is quite light compared to my GTI (or maybe something is wrong with the Euro *shrugz*)

European cars usually have heavier steering. IAMVTEC might not be able to turn the wheel of your GTI.

Miss_GTI
06-02-2007, 11:23 PM
European cars usually have heavier steering. IAMVTEC might not be able to turn the wheel of your GTI.

LOL :D

aww.. thats mean! but where do u think i get my toned arms and fat a$$ from? hmm haha

aaronng
06-02-2007, 11:38 PM
LOL :D

aww.. thats mean! but where do u think i get my toned arms and fat a$$ from? hmm haha

Toned arms are always good! :thumbsup:

yourfather
07-02-2007, 12:58 AM
i've driven a tractor and it has lighter steering than my DC2, does that mean that my DC2 is a really heavy pig?

Zdster
07-02-2007, 08:11 AM
This is interesting. So really, it shouldnt be a comparison between the sport and sp23 alone but also the base euro. Guess that is another car to add to the 'test drive' list.

As a point of comparison, the car that my family member currently has is a 4 door astra (fully spec'd).

**Ghost**
07-02-2007, 10:51 AM
The Euro is less comfortable than the Civic Sport. Road bumps go into cabin pretty hard.

really? in all seriousness i dunno if the luxury accord has different spring rates or that I only drive on posh roads but it seems pretyt supple to me...

aaronng
07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
This is interesting. So really, it shouldnt be a comparison between the sport and sp23 alone but also the base euro. Guess that is another car to add to the 'test drive' list.

As a point of comparison, the car that my family member currently has is a 4 door astra (fully spec'd).

Is that the CDX? If they can't go back to the cloth seats after using leather, then there is not much choice but to kick the base Euro out of the comparison... But.... the Euro is still mechanically a good car. I get better fuel consumption with pure city driving in my manual euro than an auto 1.8L astra doing combined city/freeway (and still having my daily redline fix).

as001
07-02-2007, 11:08 AM
my 2 cents
I have driven both the mazda 3 sp23 hatch and just this morning the civic sport in auto form the civic is much better in quality finish (feels generally more soild) performance and handling the only advantages the sp23 would have over the Civic is extra 300cc engine capacity and maybe the Bose option stereo which is overated.
The civic's betters the 3 by having 5 speed tipo auto box oppose to the 3's 4 speed box has standard leather and sunroof and a much better interior overall plus you gotta love those CTR rims michellin tyres package and lastly its a HONDA.

industrie
07-02-2007, 11:17 AM
CIVIC > Sp23...but either car you wont complain...everyones pretty much covered all options...

rhk
07-02-2007, 03:21 PM

how much does an sri turbo cost?

aaronng
07-02-2007, 03:30 PM

$34,990 for the current 2 door hatch model.

Zdster
07-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Is that the CDX? If they can't go back to the cloth seats after using leather, then there is not much choice but to kick the base Euro out of the comparison... But.... the Euro is still mechanically a good car. I get better fuel consumption with pure city driving in my manual euro than an auto 1.8L astra doing combined city/freeway (and still having my daily redline fix).

No, one gen back. A CD TS/the rebadged opel. Dark cloth seats with a black dash.

You cant really through that into the mix as it is a two door vs the rest which are much more orientated to a 'family' market.

aaronng
07-02-2007, 04:00 PM
No, one gen back. A CD TS/the rebadged opel. Dark cloth seats with a black dash.

Ahh, that one. I have one too. A TS CD auto with optional ABS and traction control. Going to the base Euro from that Astra is GREAT!!!!! Don't leave the Euro out of the comparison then.

denot
12-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Got same thought about this when I was about to buy the Civic Sports... test both of them, and got in conclusion:
- driving Mazda 3 SP23 is not much different (I didnt say no diff) than driving my 7th gen civic. almost the same cabin size, same old dash looks, etc. while driving the Sports still give me that "wow" factor until now... On the other hand, the SP23 seats are bit more comfy than the sports (especially when I test drive the sports, it was bloody hot day!!!) But at the end, I still prefer Sports than SP23 (I shouldve bought a 2nd Hand type S rather tan new Sports though.. T-T)
At the end, you (or the family member) must have a go yourself... you cant go to HONDA forum and ask, which one better HONDA or MAZDA, coz its HONDA forum... if you dont like HONDA then you wont be here, right? :p

aaronng
12-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Eventhough this is a Honda forum, I have no problem telling someone to buy a Mazda over the Honda as long as the Mazda is a better buy. :)

IAMVTEC
12-02-2007, 05:43 PM
^^ You should get mod power disqualified for that

But a Mazda will rarely be better than a Honda of the same class. I cant think of any now

aaronng
12-02-2007, 06:28 PM
^^ You should get mod power disqualified for that

But a Mazda will rarely be better than a Honda of the same class. I cant think of any now

Oh really? Now I know that you are blinded by the Honda brand. :thumbdwn:

And Mazda3 > 7th gen Civic. (yours is the 8th gen, which is > mazda3)

as001
12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda S2000 vs Rx8
Accord Euro R vs Mazda 6 MPS

2 examples of Mazdas that are better then Honda
( let's not get into fuel consumption though ;) )

aaronng
12-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda S2000 vs Rx8
Accord Euro R vs Mazda 6 MPS

2 examples of Mazdas that are better then Honda
( let's not get into fuel consumption though ;) )

S2000 > RX8

MPS > EuroR, but if the EuroR's suspension is tuned, then EuroR > MPS on circuit but on the straight, MPS > EuroR. Reliability-wise, EuroR > MPS (a few rods thrown around on stock MPS's)

as001
12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
tough call on the mps vs the euro r but if we gonna split hairs im gonna mad at honda for not even bring out the euro r out here cos i would have been there signing cheque for a cl7 not a cl9 :)

pepper
12-02-2007, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't touch an rx-8 and I've driven a few
I wouldn't own a 6 MPS unless it was an auto and I have driven a couple
I drive mazda3 and sp23 almost every day I prefer the mazda6

yet to drive accord/euro

Euro76
12-02-2007, 07:46 PM
I was quite surprised to find the manual Euro I bought only $500 dearer than auto SP23. Euro has better value overall, and it's a bigger car. Both made in Japan, can't mistake for build quality...but Euro have better craftsmanship and material than SP23.

IAMVTEC
12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Euro R and MPS is debatable but I would rahter have R because it looks more subtle. The MPS exterior is a little overdone.

But you have to compare the regular accord to regular 6, and its no comparison.

Face it Mazda sucks. Its overrated in Australia.

gerard
13-02-2007, 10:46 AM
This debat can go on forever.
As an observation, the public perception of one marque over another can also be influenced by the media. In Australia and Germany, for example, Mazda is more regarded than Honda but its the opposite in Asian countries and USA.

I looked at the Mazda 3 sp and civic sport and decided on the civic as it was the newer model, better looking interior(at least from my perception). I sacrificed better handling in that respect.

denot
13-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I looked at the Mazda 3 sp and civic sport and decided on the civic as it was the newer model, better looking interior(at least from my perception). I sacrificed better handling in that respect.

wow, finally sum1 have the same opinion as me... :p

gerard
13-02-2007, 05:10 PM
wow, finally sum1 have the same opinion as me... :p

hahaha
Either great minds........or fools :thumbsup:

tkbuild
16-02-2007, 01:59 AM
i'll get the sport... coz i'm driving it....:P :D:D

gerard
16-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Now, anyone with a sport thnk that the car rolls too much in corners and thinking of upgrading the anti-roll bars?
Am thinking of getting the US civic Si bars