PDA

View Full Version : H22A, Temperature rising on idle

p3p5y
07-02-2007, 08:10 AM
My brother's has an Accord 1998, VTi H22A engine. He took his car out to work this morning. The issue below started showing up today.

While stuck on the M5, if the car stays idle for about 20 seconds, the temperature gauge starts climbing up, the highest he's seen it go so far was 7/8th the way up. But as soon as he starts driving, like hitting above
25km/h or something, the gauge starts dropping back down to the normal
temperature at around 1/3rd up.

There isn't any leaking or fluid problems, don't notice anything
underneath yet, and the car only got serviced not long ago at Hanny's. Does anyone know what's causing this?

Thanks.

Eclipsor
07-02-2007, 08:22 AM
You checked if the radiator fan comes on? Go for a bit of a drive until the engine has warmed up then come back and let it idle in the driveway. See if it comes on after a while.

egSi
07-02-2007, 10:54 AM
my gfs bmw did this also, the radiator was blocked.

thermostat and fan where fine with no leaks but at idle, it got very hot. when cruising it was sweet.

if everything else is ok, id get your radiator tested :thumbsup:

MRH-22A
09-02-2007, 11:07 AM
H22A in a 98 Accord~!?
thats kool... first i've heard of from around here

aaronng
09-02-2007, 11:36 AM
When the car is stopped and the temperature is going up to 7/8, does it come back down if you press on the accelerator so that it is stationary at a higher rpm?

I'm guessing fan as well. But if the fan works, look at flushing your coolant and filling up with fresh Honda coolant. If your coolant is still new, then it's either an airlock or a blockage.

sugz
09-02-2007, 02:24 PM
that happens to my car as well...
and the fan turns on, after i turn off the engine for abt 10mins or so...

so you guys reckon its either the fan, or the radiator needs a flush yeah?!

aaronng
09-02-2007, 04:37 PM
that happens to my car as well...
and the fan turns on, after i turn off the engine for abt 10mins or so...

so you guys reckon its either the fan, or the radiator needs a flush yeah?!

Change the coolant first (and flush to get gunk out). It's the cheapest and easiest thing to do...

sugz
12-02-2007, 03:32 PM
yeah, i did that on saturday... the car seems to be fine now...

no more rough idling and no more overheating...(well dunno yet coz the weather has been pretty cold)