PDA

View Full Version : The effect of Carpet on Sound

95civic
08-02-2007, 01:23 AM
I have a 12" Rockford Fosgate Sub in an enclosed box, I think it is made out of fiberglass. I don’t think I have the skills to make my own box and I was after a clean look in my boot. I was wondering if it would have any effect on the sound if I covered the outside of the box in carpet? ( I also plan to do the whole boot). Is there anything I should know about re-carpeting my boot?

Thanks, I’m fairly new to these kinds of things.

DLO01
08-02-2007, 06:21 AM
I am not a Audio person at all.

But I know this:

A hard flat surface will reflect sound more easily. Thus ruining a sound setup through reflections of sound off these hard surfaces, especially with directional high freq sounds.

A rough uneven surface will disapate/absorb sound and you will not have the bad effects of reflecting sound and ruining your stage.

Carpet is classed under the rough surface class, so I would think that carpeting your box and boot will complement your system.

Your talking about a sub box and boot. So we are talking about Low Freq sounds. Proably would not make much diffence, but I would go carpet.

Kiwi
08-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Carpeteting the outside of your sub box couldnt possibly have an impact on the sound of your sub. Unless of course you get carried away and carpet over the sub itself :D LOL

JasonGilholme
08-02-2007, 09:12 AM
I made a custom sub/boot install in my last car and i found that it sounded alot better when i put carpet on the inside of the box as well. It made the bass less defined which suited the music that i was listening too.

tron07
08-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Nope... if you cover the outside there will be no diff... but if you were to put some polyfill or stick a deflex pad inside the box, it will most probably sound nicer

95civic
08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys, I think I will re-carpet my whole boot (including the sub box) Im up for a change it think. Is any type of auto carpet good to use? Anything i should know?

Seems like there are alot of people around here that know what they are doing.

Kiwi
08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I made a custom sub/boot install in my last car and i found that it sounded alot better when i put carpet on the inside of the box as well. It made the bass less defined which suited the music that i was listening too.

Carpet on the inside of the box ?? Now I've heard everything :) Was it a fibreglass box ?

Would have been easier to use some kind of sound deadening rather than the carpet.

JasonGilholme
08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
nah it was a wooden box.

I agree. propper sound deadening would have been better but i had enough carpet left over from the install so i thought i might as well use it.

Keep in mind that my system wasn't made for SPL or SQ. My install was made for practicality. Full false floor in the back of the car, turning a hatch into a 2 seater wagon sorta thing. Had all the audio gear layed out under the floor with storage compartments built into it so you could store important stuff under the floor and put all the bulky heavy stuff on top without damaging any gear.