PDA

View Full Version : Big Brake upgrade.... CD5 Accord.

Xplodin
08-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Hey Guys,

As we all know Honda brakes are shyte like shyte sticks. So at the moment i'm lookin at a big brake upgrade. I'm probly looking at a set of Brembo's and a limit of about $2.5k. Now my car doent have ABS and is stock as rock, apart from suss. Now i'm sorta debating on Spending the money elese where ie Save for a house, Or a jet ski (as i've always wanted one) Or get the Brembo's. I've got a friend who's selling his Calipers F+R Front are 4 Pot and rear's i'm pretty sure they are single. I'd need to get pad's and Rotas and installation.

Now i just need opinions on this and how much this would improve my braking ablities. n Since i've got 15's on there i'm not sure they will fit under that either :( So its lookin like i'd have to get bigger rims which equal more $$$.

thanks

G-Stick
08-02-2007, 08:52 AM
geez just stick with ur stock ones and get better pads. not like u got VTEC hahaha. jk

u dont need better brakes if ur gonna stay with ur stock engine, or see if u can get a cusco brake stopper for ur car these things help a fair bit.

SiReal
08-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I think first you need to consider getting some S03s, then maybe LeMan spec 12 piston AP Racing with 300mm ventilated carbon fibre discs. After that, you should get a 5inch full sports exhaust with open butterfly, as well DC2R recaros. Then consider changing your 15"s to maybe 16"s ;)

P.s. dont bother. get some performance brake pads first and see if they're good enough.

SiReal
08-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Thought i'd post seriously first. hehe..

Go and get yourself an OEM honda brake system from a bigger car with bigger rotors + calipers + master cylinder + etc. I.e. MDX or Accord V6. I've read on the US forums that my accord, V6 used type R calipers. Not sure how true that is tho.

as well as getting those, get those rotors drilled and slotted, + aftermarket performance pads,

I'm not sure of fitment, but it might be a cheaper option than forking out big bucks for a brand new, when a much cheaper alternative can do a pretty good job (not equal), less the price tag of having letters on the caliper.

Eclipsor
08-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Like Poid said. I think you'd be better off going for some better pads and some new rotors first. I've just put some slotted rotors and Endless SSY pads on the rear and will be doing the front on the weekend. But already I've noticed a huge difference.

If you're still not happy with the performance after that then think about other options.

Another option to consider is the powerslot system. Comes with larger rotors and adapter brackets for your stock calipers. Havn't read any reviews. But sounds interesting.

Xplodin
11-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Yeah i think you guys are knocking the sence i wasnt really thinking at the time i guess. But as you guy pointed out i might go invest in something else like my jetski. And get performance brake pads. Any idea what brand and how much?

Eclipsor
11-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Endless vn9500 or SSY if you want to spend a bit more. :thumbsup: Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do my fronts yesterday so I can't tell you how they feel.

Xplodin
11-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Ok so where do i get my hands on these brake pads?

krogoth
12-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Ok so where do i get my hands on these brake pads?

alot of traders in here sell pads

just have a look around and ask if they got padz for a n00b accord, lol

otherwise..just pm a trader or 2 and ask if u dont find them sellin anything

Zdster
12-02-2007, 08:52 AM
If you really wanna do an upgrade, you can do it cheaper than a set of Brembo's. wilwood, for example, make some nice calipers these days.

*Cough* like the set I have for sale *Cough* :)

In all seriousness, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I have driven in cars where the brake upgrades have made tremendous differences to the confidence you have in the car. Even though you may not have huge amounts of power, doesnt mean it isnt worth thinking about these sorts of things.

Zdster
12-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately, a proper big brake upgrade isnt cheap

The one that I am selling isnt too expensive :D :D

Seriously though, even on cars with small power output, it is amazing the difference and if you upgrade the master cylinder while you are there the pedal feel can improve ten-fold.

egSi
20-02-2007, 10:30 AM
'sport' pads most definately make a difference, as do stainless steel brake lines.

what do u think about them?

SiReal
20-02-2007, 10:40 AM
would it eat through the stock rotors at a super fast rate? my brakes are crap..

egSi
20-02-2007, 10:48 AM
would it eat through the stock rotors at a super fast rate? my brakes are crap..

not especially man, best idea it is when you replace pads to get your discs machined(as long as they are within spec) yes there are some seriously agressive pads on the market but 'some' of them need to matched with semis etc. you will also find you use your foot less because the pads are much more efficient, less foot is needed to stop in same distance

if we use your CG as an example. a nice set of Endless VN9500 "Agressive Street" Pads and machine rotors will offer a world of difference. Better bite, no fade and not much more dust. To even better that setup would be to add some stainless steel brake lines, complete replacement.

rubbic(fabric braid) oem brakelines balloon under pressure meaning less fluid gets the to piston and it takes longer. this is called cross sectional expansion, its something like 30%! stainless steel lines expand 0-1%.

oem brake lines only have a life of about 7years so if your car is more than 7yrs, its time to replace :p stainless steels are about double that :thumbsup:

SiReal
20-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks Trav. Thats awesome advice. I'll have to have a think about it. Not sure if thats the path for the next couple of months. (gotta install teh stuff u send me first ;))

egSi
20-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks Trav. Thats awesome advice. I'll have to have a think about it. Not sure if thats the path for the next couple of months. (gotta install teh stuff u send me first ;))

no worries man, working in the hydraulic industry for a few years helps ;)

there is so much more info involved and to consider. that stuff was just off the top of my head lol.

ie. brake lines expand both ways, cross sectional AND longitudinal. ss lines are the shit. another problem with oem ones is you dont get complete piston stroke because the volume of fluid has expanded OUT(ballooned) and not reached the piston in the caliper.

ss brakes lines = bang for buck for sure :thumbsup:

SiReal
20-02-2007, 11:10 AM
awesome man :thumbsup: thanks again ;)

Zdster
20-02-2007, 11:18 AM

Really depends on how aggressive the pads are. Something has to wear somewhere. Either it is the pads or the discs.

Eclipsor
20-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Also on the list would be a rotor-over-hub conversion...it is a pain in the arse to change the stock discs as you have to undo the axle nut etc to get the disc off. A rotor over hub design makes disc changes soooo much simpler

ahaha yeah. fkn accords. I'm doing that tomorrow. Any tips?

STIGT
21-02-2007, 09:41 AM
In all seriousness, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I have driven in cars where the brake upgrades have made tremendous differences to the confidence you have in the car. Even though you may not have huge amounts of power, doesnt mean it isnt worth thinking about these sorts of things.

I totally agree with you one that esp the honda brakes are shit overall if you do more spirt driving. Upgrading pads and rotors are just a waste of money which gives like 10-20% difference because the brake caliper on the honda is not good enough.. (this is how i feel for my own car and driving)

Well at least by upgrading the brakes gives me more confident as well enough and also save me a few times from other cars who E-Brake for nothing infront

panda[cRx]
22-02-2007, 11:06 PM
honda brakes are actually much better performance wise than the majority of other manufacturers (obviously excluding cars like evo's etc that come with brembos and similar)