PDA

View Full Version : Snapped Wheel Stud

Bayani
08-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I've got a snapped wheel stud on my driver side wheel. It's a 4x100 on a Gen 2 '90 CRX ED9.

What needs to be replaced?

destrukshn
08-02-2007, 02:09 PM
just the stud.
it's gotta be pressed out i think.
so you gotta take off your hub.

you can just buy the studs, either from honda or aftermarket.

SiReal
08-02-2007, 02:13 PM
to ensure this doesnt happen again, tell us about your alloy wheels. are they factory or aftermarket?

if factory, its probably just had its time (usually shouldnt snap though)

it aftermarket, ensure you have "hub centric rings". Stock rims fit PERFECTLY onto your wheel hub. Aftermarket rims have a bigger wheel bore to fit more cars, and you usuauly put these rings in to fill the gap. If you dont have these rings, teh weight of the car will sit on the bolts, hence snapping. with rings, teh weight of the car will sit on the hub - the way its meant to be ;) HI FIVE!

hub centric rings can be bought at tyre shops for cheap

VT3C
08-02-2007, 02:29 PM
HI FIVE hahaha

to remove/replace the studs you need to remove the hub and separate the knuckle from the hub itself by removing the rotor.. then the studs are pressed into the knuckle... good luck !! is a bitch of a job !

Bayani
08-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks SiReal, I'll look into these " hub centric rings " as I do have Alloy Wheels.

I don't know how long it's been snapped, as it wasn't till last year that I took the center-cap off and saw it.

LOL, Ok, so I have to get the stud pressed out from the Hub.
How much time and money is required for this? How much will it cost to do myself, and what do I do?
And, how much would it cost to get someone else to do it?

Bayani
08-02-2007, 05:11 PM
On that, what offset am I looking at for an ED9 CRX?

iced
09-02-2007, 12:50 AM
as well as the hub rings,...
also make sure you torque the bolts correctly and evenly

EG5[KRT]
09-02-2007, 07:16 AM
if u do it urself should b free :D but cost of the stud.

but i guess if u get someone to do it.. will cost about 1.5 hr labour.. and the price of the stud.. so should cost $150+ depending on labour rate

egSi
09-02-2007, 07:41 AM
imo go some ARP/SKUNK2 Extented studs. ARP also make stronger oem length ones too :thumbsup:

Boban
09-02-2007, 09:36 AM
studs are 4.99 from autobarn, we replaced them on my friends silvia, but his weren't snapped, they became loose and he pushed them into the hub when we were trying to put the wheel back on.

Bayani
10-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Oh geez; so this is basically alot easier to fix that first thought.

Why the hell didn't my mechanic just ask me if I wanted it fixed.

egSi -- Price on Skunk2 Studs?

Edgeauto
10-02-2007, 10:45 AM
It's a good idea to replace all 4 at the same time cause when 1 snaps it puts strain on the others and makes them weak.

crxtasy
10-02-2007, 10:48 AM
You can just hammer the snapped stud out, then insert the new stud from the back of the hub then put the nut on it and screw the nut in so it pulls the stud through, but make sure that you have the stud ligned up straight.

czy_sol87
10-02-2007, 11:22 AM
i would just pay to have them done only cost about $60-$100 depending on how many u want replaced, my bro had the same problem with his fixed it first time, then one of the others snapped not long after, so he ended up replacing the rest of the old studs the second time round, and i dont think it cost that much extra