PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in '07 civic do's and don't

Dennis
08-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Finally arrived!!.. took the last couple of days off kill some k's on the car and so far done 500km! in 2 days haha!

According to the manual, there no specifics/limits about speed and rev range, it just says avoid rapid acceleration (don't floor it!) and other things about braking..what have you guys done when breaking in your car?

aaronng
08-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Rule #1
Start your car, idle for 30 seconds, drive off gently. AFTER the temperature needle reaches halfway, then you can drive it hard.

Other break in rules are:
#2 Vary your RPM.
#3 No clutch dumping.

Menthu Rae
08-02-2007, 08:18 PM
According to my Mechanic, you want to be gentle on the throttle and basically do a good amount of engine-braking at low-moderate RPMs. This kind of decreasing load as the engine slows down helps the rings to seal properly.

aaronng
08-02-2007, 08:34 PM
^^ and accelerate hard as well to seal.

BLKek
08-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Heavy your car up, just through heaps of stuff in it.

Mr_will
08-02-2007, 09:36 PM

even if you'd spelled throw correctly, itd still be a stupid suggestion

serpo
08-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeh i just got my new CRX engine in and its dne 200Ks in 2 days iv been flooring it but not redlining it and it seems fine, my machanic said to overload it (go up hills in high gears like 4th) cos it will get the engine used to pressure but dont put to much strain on it like smokin the wheels lol

Diesmile
09-02-2007, 12:42 AM
According to my Mechanic, you want to be gentle on the throttle and basically do a good amount of engine-braking at low-moderate RPMs. .

what does engine-braking at low rpm mean?

aaronng
09-02-2007, 08:23 AM
what does engine-braking at low rpm mean?

Means letting go of the accelerator in 2nd or 3rd gear and letting the car slow down by itself without using the brakes.

Diesmile
11-02-2007, 11:26 PM
i am driving an auto, how do i apply this?

btw, what gear am i in when i driving at 60? cos sometimes i get rpm at 1.4-1.5, while other times i get rpm at 1.2

aaronng
11-02-2007, 11:32 PM
i am driving an auto, how do i apply this?

btw, what gear am i in when i driving at 60? cos sometimes i get rpm at 1.4-1.5, while other times i get rpm at 1.2

Use 2nd or 3rd then.

EuroDude
12-02-2007, 08:21 AM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Drive it like a granny when breaking it in, it will perform like a granny forever lol

Aco3n
12-02-2007, 12:29 PM
till the car gets into its normal temp, drives it hard.. at least.. that's what I've done...

honest muz
12-02-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm running mine in right now! I'm at 700km now.
Guys, let's be specific. The manual for the car DOES have gear change points for the first 1,000km and from memory, it corresponds with a maximum of 3,500 rpm.

The suggestion of a "good amount" of compression braking doesn't help in braking in the engine. Compression braking is the momentum of the car driving the motor, and is a great way to get more back-lash in the drive-train, NOT help run the motor in.

Check the book that came with the car. Running_In is in there.

EuroDude
12-02-2007, 05:37 PM
When the engine is warmed up completely, just drive it normally. Simple as that ;)

Mr_will
15-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm running mine in right now! I'm at 700km now.
Guys, let's be specific. The manual for the car DOES have gear change points for the first 1,000km and from memory, it corresponds with a maximum of 3,500 rpm.

The suggestion of a "good amount" of compression braking doesn't help in braking in the engine. Compression braking is the momentum of the car driving the motor, and is a great way to get more back-lash in the drive-train, NOT help run the motor in.

Check the book that came with the car. Running_In is in there.

you need to read the link posted earlier. if you run it in driving like a grandma, thats the way it will run forever, and you'll be worse off if you decide to drive hard later.

i think we all know what compression braking is, so there is no need for you to explain it. if you follow the link and read it carefully, youll understand why a good amount of engine braking is beneficial when running in a motor.

honest muz
19-02-2007, 10:32 AM
you need to read the link posted earlier. if you run it in driving like a grandma, thats the way it will run forever, and you'll be worse off if you decide to drive hard later.

i think we all know what compression braking is, so there is no need for you to explain it. if you follow the link and read it carefully, youll understand why a good amount of engine braking is beneficial when running in a motor.

Giday Will,
I'm sorry if I am over-explaining my point on the subject of compression braking. You obviously know it but this is an open forum right? Maybe I should refute what's posted here in the same style as you! That is, calling people's views stupid.

FWIW, I read it all before posting. But it's ALL personal opinion based on what "my mechanic" said. I was hopping to give an authoritative reference (owners manual) because it's all in there. Don't need to dream up other ways to run-in an engine, coz Honda have already thunk it!

Now, tell me about the technical backing you have to support your grandma theory.....Have you ever stripped an engine? Why don't you tell me!
:rolleyes:

Mr_will
19-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Giday Will,
I'm sorry if I am over-explaining my point on the subject of compression braking. You obviously know it but this is an open forum right? Maybe I should refute what's posted here in the same style as you! That is, calling people's views stupid.

FWIW, I read it all before posting. But it's ALL personal opinion based on what "my mechanic" said. I was hopping to give an authoritative reference (owners manual) because it's all in there. Don't need to dream up other ways to run-in an engine, coz Honda have already thunk it!

Now, tell me about the technical backing you have to support your grandma theory.....Have you ever stripped an engine? Why don't you tell me!

you obviously havent actually read it. it was written by someone who has dealt with thousands (yes, thousands) of engines, which have been run in according to various methods.

his sample size is large, he is using quantitative variables, and he is obviously pretty experienced, so there is every reason to regard his findings as statistically significant.

thats the technical backing i have, and fwiw, id say chances are ive spent more time working on engines than you have :), but lucky i dont need to rely on that, i can read the work of someone who has done it THOUSANDS of times. have you?

aaronng
19-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Giday Will,

He did not call other people's VALID views stupid.

He was calling this piece of advice as stupid:

And yes, I'd say it is stupid too. I'll add to that, the advice given is IDIOTIC. :p

aaronng
19-02-2007, 12:30 PM
And look here before you make yourself look silly: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1070642&postcount=32

honest muz
19-02-2007, 01:13 PM
you obviously havent actually read it. it was written by someone who has dealt with thousands (yes, thousands) of engines, which have been run in according to various methods.

his sample size is large, he is using quantitative variables, and he is obviously pretty experienced, so there is every reason to regard his findings as statistically significant.

thats the technical backing i have, and fwiw, id say chances are ive spent more time working on engines than you have :), but lucky i dont need to rely on that, i can read the work of someone who has done it THOUSANDS of times. have you?

Get a Grip Guys,
To this point, I've suggested that the run-in procedure is in the manual.
I've challenged that engine braking assists with engine run-in.
Will thinks something is stupid, and
Will has had a lucky life until now.

I just don't know what to say about the picture, other than thanks and, the rings will never hit the black bit given an engine that hasn't been prematurely thrashed.:zip:

honest muz
19-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Kerching.
Self-serving.....

aaronng
19-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Get a Grip Guys,
To this point, I've suggested that the run-in procedure is in the manual.
I've challenged that engine braking assists with engine run-in.
Will thinks something is stupid, and
Will has had a lucky life until now.

I just don't know what to say about the picture, other than thanks and, the rings will never hit the black bit given an engine that hasn't been prematurely thrashed.:zip:

Engine braking just helps the piston rings seal. It doesn't help with the wearing of the cylinder bore.

Also with the pic, the car probably had tens of thousands of kms being granny-driven. That's why the rings never hit that black part as the rods never had a chance to stretch with high RPM. Now if they were to sell that car to a young guy who decides to give it a fang, the rings can reach the dark part and cause damage.

honest muz
19-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Engine braking just helps the piston rings seal. It doesn't help with the wearing of the cylinder bore.

Also with the pic, the car probably had tens of thousands of kms being granny-driven. .

Ah-Ha? Go on.

aaronng
19-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Ah-Ha? Go on.

Don't reply with silly comments like these. Please specify what you want to know and not a silly "Ah-Ha? Go on."

honest muz
19-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Don't reply with silly comments like these. Please specify what you want to know and not a silly "Ah-Ha? Go on."

Hey aarong, are you the arbiter of who is stupid or silly now?

Lay some points on me brother....

aaronng
19-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Hey aarong, are you the arbiter of who is stupid or silly now?

Lay some points on me brother....

I'm the arbiter of keeping out the stupid and silly posts in this thread. So yes, if silly spam posts are made, I have to get rid of them as this is not the lounge.

What points do you want?

honest muz
22-02-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm the arbiter of keeping out the stupid and silly posts in this thread. So yes, if silly spam posts are made, I have to get rid of them as this is not the lounge.

What points do you want?

Are you familiar with the Obe Wan Kinobe soliloquy:wave:

aaronng
22-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Nope, I am not familiar with that.