PDA

View Full Version : Fitting rear strut brace in EK hatch

zerospel
11-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Hey guys

I will be getting rear strut brace for my ek hatch, I will need to cut a hole on the panel

Do you guys have any tips on cutting the hole in the right spot and good equipment to use to cut the plastic panel cleanly?

bennjamin
11-02-2007, 08:59 PM
a piece of chalk , a tape measure and a fine toothed hand saw (get from hardware etc , made for wood work or plastic).
Put you hand thru the upper speaker hole and get a rough idea of where the hole should be and mark it the same on both sides. You need to cut a hole big enough for the ENDS to go thru + alittle give. Maybe make a vertical slit and then a section at the bottom for the bar to sit in...

ekhybrid
13-02-2007, 11:59 PM
use a blade and heat it up with a lighter
thatll be much easier

yellow-dc2
14-02-2007, 08:40 PM
a piece of chalk , a tape measure and a fine toothed hand saw (get from hardware etc , made for wood work or plastic).
Put you hand thru the upper speaker hole and get a rough idea of where the hole should be and mark it the same on both sides. You need to cut a hole big enough for the ENDS to go thru + alittle give. Maybe make a vertical slit and then a section at the bottom for the bar to sit in...

Agree, but buy a Dremel they come in handy for the most amazing things.

iced
14-02-2007, 10:55 PM
you can get a dremel from dick smith for $20-25
thats where i got mine.

also it depends on the brace
some brakes may require you to cut more.
some might not even require you to cut the plastic at all.

good luck

zerospel
16-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys

JasonGilholme
16-02-2007, 01:19 PM
try and get a brace thats got a quick release mecanism. you should be abel to install the brackets behind the panels and then just make a whole big enough for the bar.

Zdster
16-02-2007, 01:23 PM
some might not even require you to cut the plastic at all.

good luck

Its going on an ek. He will have to cut.

try and get a brace thats got a quick release mecanism. you should be abel to install the brackets behind the panels and then just make a whole big enough for the bar.

It depends on what brace (as others have said). The spoon brace for example isnt as 'easy' to fit as the base of the brace extends a fair way forward and you need to add clearance in the panel for it.

Drew
16-02-2007, 02:09 PM
What the hell are you planing on doing with your Civic?

Do tell :D

zerospel
16-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah Im thinking to get the whiteline as it has that quick release

Drew- I just got addicted to track days and want my car to handle as well as if not better than the s2000 :) and plan to trade it in for ek4 in the future as my civic has fairly low k's at the moment

Originally planned to chuck in CTR or ITR engine in it but too much $$$ and not a big fan of engine conversions :)

iced
16-02-2007, 02:37 PM
in that case a strut isnt going to do wonders.
upgrade rear swaybar way better bang for buck

zerospel
16-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Ive done the sways i just need front lower tie bar and rear strut left to do not counting b and c pillars