PDA

View Full Version : Itr Audm 2 Jdm G'Box Changeover

turbo convert
11-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Hi guys i purchased a second hand jdm gearbox off a spoon engine (so theres chance of spoon) anyways upon changing the box over i realised the starter motors were slightly diff so i changed them over anyways all good there, i didnt change the speedo sensor or the reverse light switch off the jdm box just for reference. THE PROBLEM starts here all gears are nice and tight!:p HOWEVER reverse doesnt let me select(its like its not even there), cant even crunch it, i tried rolling, slamming,pumping the clutch, nothing! now i hope it might be something simple pls help.. especially if someone who has done this b4.
its a dc2r by the way & yes just topped up with a little over 2.5l of genuine honda mtf
thanks guys

turbo convert
12-02-2007, 10:30 AM
anyone?
speaking to the person i braught it off to find its japanese history "beleive to be off a race car"

SiReal
12-02-2007, 10:32 AM
is it like the evo 9 where u have to lift a switch/latch on the gear lever to put it in reverse?

bennjamin
12-02-2007, 11:24 AM
spoon engine = blueprinted with some less restrictive parts over the stock B18C ITR engine. The gearbox would probably be exactly the same
as the 98+ 4.7 FD.
Is the shift linkage installed firm ? While idling , Try putting into 4th gear
slowly , THEN slowly try to put into R. Pump the clutch a few times too...

turbo convert
12-02-2007, 12:09 PM
thanks bennjamin but i have really tried everything as stated pumping the clutch and trying to get into R, have tried going 1st the R, actually evrything then R.Also tried testing the box itself whilst in the car (should have checked first) by removing the linkage and changing on the box and no good reverse is not there!
the strange thing is for me that the rest of the box is so tight and strong and then reverse???? i dont get it

sydteg21
12-02-2007, 02:41 PM
i'm assuming you tried when the car was on and off, right?

turbo convert
12-02-2007, 04:02 PM
yeh car was off

bennjamin
12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
maybe try driving around abit ~ heat up the MTF fluid and see if that helps with finding reverse. Some gearboxes when freshly rebuilt etc , are bitches when cold.

Drew
12-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Can't imagine anything stopping it from going into Reverse, get a mate to change gears or try to while you look at the linkage and see if theres anything blocking it or out of the ordinary

Saying that it came from a race car... might not have reverse?
In that case you are screwed and need to get the box modified to include a reverse gear if at all possible

TODA AU
12-02-2007, 08:52 PM
So, when you go to select reverese, it's like the slot isn't even there?
Check the reverse detent... It's probably missing the spacer~washer under the head of the bolt.
This will casue the body of the bolt to penetrate too far locking out the gear.
Over torquing can have the same effect.
If this is the case, the bolt, washer, spring & ball will need to be replaced.

May not be it... But that's where I'd look 1st
Cheers

bennjamin
12-02-2007, 09:01 PM
So, when you go to select reverese, it's like the slot isn't even there?
Check the reverse detent... It's probably missing the spacer~washer under the head of the bolt.
This will casue the body of the bolt to penetrate too far locking out the gear.
Over torquing can have the same effect.
If this is the case, the bolt, washer, spring & ball will need to be replaced.

May not be it... But that's where I'd look 1st
Cheers

good idea - this "detent" is located on the side of the gearbox in the form of a 12mm bolt which comes out , with a small spring and small ball bearing on the end. You can access this while still installed in the engine bay.

turbo convert
13-02-2007, 12:11 PM
you know what guys i had this argument with my brother wheather to try change that swicth from my old box to the spoon box in the end we called it a day! i will change them over tonight if this works you guys r the greatest... i got my fingers crosssed anyways.
thankyou everyone for there help!:wave:

turbo convert
13-02-2007, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=TODA AU;1065858]So, when you go to select reverese, it's like the slot isn't even there?
yeh that is correct like it doesnt even come close to going in and i tried every possible trick i know!

turbo convert
13-02-2007, 06:21 PM
well guys i changed the sensor over and it same problem so back to the drawing board, i think its inevitable to pull the box back out and open her up to find the problem, i have not attempted this before so i will see how i go! i am still hopefull it will be something small.
Then hopefully i can use the parts from my old box well reverse at least.

TODA AU
13-02-2007, 10:46 PM
It's not the sensor... That is for your reverse lights...
I mean the detent.
I'll try & take a pic tomorrow where it is.

turbo convert
14-02-2007, 10:11 AM
It's not the sensor... That is for your reverse lights...
I mean the detent.
I'll try & take a pic tomorrow where it is.

thanks toda if you could do that for me really appreciate it. yeh i thaught u was talking bout the reverse light switch however that was a 19mm bolt. so i am still living in hope at least i got that. thanks mate:wave:

bennjamin
14-02-2007, 10:16 AM
for an idea to get you going -

this "detent" is located on the side of the gearbox in the form of a 12mm bolt which comes out , with a small spring and small ball bearing on the end. You can access this while still installed in the engine bay.

turbo convert
15-02-2007, 06:42 PM
changed the indent bolt actually both of them over and still no good!
the one closest to the housing disabled 1,2,3,4 as i tried with it just in losley tighten it up and she comes back then i tried the other one and that disabled 5th & reverse (haha well i never had it) anyways yeh that failed so back to the drawing board.!

TODA AU
15-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I had a look today.
The two exrternal detents are for 1st to 4th.
Rev & 5th are intenal. The detant is part of the reverse selector.
The reverse lockout is also part of the selector.
If the lockout ball has moved too far, it could also feisebly lock it out.
Sorry to bearbad news, but the box will have to come out & be split to see the problem.
I took some pics of the parts, I'll post 'em from work tommorow.

turbo convert
16-02-2007, 10:49 AM
is there any parts you guys who have opened up the box before would suggest i get, like ones which need to be replaced or are prone to breaking???

bennjamin
16-02-2007, 10:55 AM
since you will have the gearbox off ~ perhaps look at replacing the input shaft bearing , release bearing , mainshaft bearing , counter shaft bearing...and check the condition of the workings parts :)

turbo convert
16-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I would like to however i dont have much cash so (hence why DIY) i just going to be swapping parts from my old gearbox to this one hopefully mainly reverse. i just mean little bits and pieces like clips or things which tend to break. just so one $2 part doesnt burst my buble this tends to happen to me

bennjamin
16-02-2007, 11:41 AM
yes ~ but since its a pain to remove a gearbox and reinstall - you might as well replace a few things while its off.

turbo convert
26-02-2007, 06:47 PM
problem fixed guys thanks for all the help ended up being that the reverse gear had seased up and didn't move freely