PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket HID bulb blown

Euro76
12-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Had my Euro serviced for the first 1000km, the technician told me the passenger side aftermarket HID bulb had blown. I bought that HID bulb a month ago, not happy with its short lived bulb.

What would be your best recommendation for the new HID bulb without having me to buy the complete HID kit if possible? Thanks.

yfin
12-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Had my Euro serviced for the first 1000km, the technician told me the passenger side aftermarket HID bulb had blown. I bought that HID bulb a month ago, not happy with its short lived bulb.

What would be your best recommendation for the new HID bulb without having me to buy the complete HID kit if possible? Thanks.

When you say HID bulb - you mean the HID "look" bulb as you have the standard euro. Those bulbs are generally of pretty low quality and never last anywhere near the OEM bulbs.

If you want a good quality bulb buy a +50 Osram Silverstar (clear version) Made in Germany. Cost about $15 each - I get mine at Repco. Don't be fooled into buying a coated blue bulb as the throw is not as far as a clear bulb. The clear bulbs are not as white as the HID look bulbs but will be brighter and more reliable. It will not last as long as the OEM globe due to being +50, but it is a good compromise.

Atjo
12-02-2007, 02:16 PM
I think you can buy just the bulb, not the whole HID kit. Try ask www.plasmagarage.com (http://www.plasmagarage.com) cause they use eagle-eye product that use phillips ballast.

EuroDude
15-02-2007, 08:27 AM
If its not an actual HID conversion, try the Philips BlueVision or CleanVision Halogens. Mine have lasted for over 10 months and still going strong.

If you have converted your headlights to true HID, get the German Osram or Philips HID bulbs (they use these in the factory BMW's etc..). Avoid the cheaper inferior bulbs

And remember to not touch the bulbs, they have to be completely clean otherwise they may burn out too soon.

Euro76
15-02-2007, 08:02 PM
This crazy Autobarn Chadstone store sell this Phillips Bluevision 5000k bulb for $150!!! Anywhere in Melb I can get cheaper?

EuroDude
15-02-2007, 08:20 PM
$150! you got ripped man. I got my BlueVisions for $60 at an Auto Shop (It was AutoOne I think)

yfin
15-02-2007, 08:27 PM
This crazy Autobarn Chadstone store sell this Phillips Bluevision 5000k bulb for $150!!! Anywhere in Melb I can get cheaper?

Don't waste your money on that Bluevision rubbish. Any globe that has a blue coating on it produces LESS light. Why downgrade from OEM light output? Buy a pair of quality clear +50 globes for $30.

Buy globes that help you see - rather than trying to be trendy and look like you have HIDs.

EuroDude
15-02-2007, 08:34 PM
The Bluevisions look great to me, much brighter than the cheap OEM bulbs.
They may output less light than clear +50 but they are close, plus you get a neat blue cut off like HID.

yfin
15-02-2007, 08:37 PM
The Bluevisions look great to me, much brighter than the cheap OEM bulbs.
They may output less light than clear +50 but they are close, plus you get a neat blue cut off like HID.

They are more for how the car looks though - rather than how much you can see!

EuroDude
15-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Partly true :p But I find driving with pure white light safer than the off-yellow.
The road looks more natural to sunlight imo. The yellow light seems to mix in with the dirt and bushes and other objects on the side of the road which can be disorientating.

Euro76
15-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Don't waste your money on that Bluevision rubbish. Any globe that has a blue coating on it produces LESS light. Why downgrade from OEM light output? Buy a pair of quality clear +50 globes for $30.

Buy globes that help you see - rather than trying to be trendy and look like you have HIDs.

Yeah I agreed with you that +50 globe is definitely brighter than the coated globe. However I do like the bulb with HID look-alike. Do you personally use +50 globe by any chance?

yfin
15-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah I agreed with you that +50 globe is definitely brighter than the coated globe. However I do like the bulb with HID look-alike. Do you personally use +50 globe by any chance?

Yes - running clear +50 Osram globes. They last about 12 months.

civicVI
15-02-2007, 09:33 PM
if you do like the bulb with HID look-alike then just go take a HID kit! now its cheap!