PDA

View Full Version : CRX shock upgrade without changing lca's etc

crx51
13-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Gday guys, ive done a few searches and found no definitive answers. I have an ed9 crx and im about to get new wheels but i want to lower it at the same time. Now basically i would like to know if anyone with an ed9 has had success with a good suspension upgrade. I dont want to go just springs. Dont really want to spend 2500dollars either.

What i would like is something like koni yellow's with good springs (ground control or something?), that way i figure i'd be close to the 1200dollar mark which id be happy with. Thing is i cant find many set ups for ed9's.

Any opinions would be good

Rasputin
13-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey mate, check out this link to egSi's website
http://undergroundimports.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=50_88&products_id=494
it's a set of ksport coilovers for $1749 posted. Maybe still a little out of your price range

There's also konis as you mentioned
http://undergroundimports.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=50_126_90&products_id=214
$499 for the rears.

So if the prices are about the same for the fronts, you're looking at $1000, plus springs, but without the adjustability of the ksports.

I'm running koni's with king springs and coilover sleeves at the moment on the softest setting, and for my spirited driving they're more than stiff enough already, and have given me a 2 inch drop easily, so I'm sure whatever way you want to go you'll be happy.

But send egSi a pm and see what he can do for you

Edit: There's also megan racing coilovers for $1250, they sounds like they might be for you
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59950

czy_sol87
13-02-2007, 07:06 PM
i would say just save that little bit more and go for the coilovers
i had just springs in before, and now that i've got coilovers, the springs were a waste of money
however a good shock and spring combo is also good, and possibly cost less

chef_32
13-02-2007, 11:48 PM
what LCA's you got in the back, 89-91 or 88. I got 88's with oz spec (internal adjustment) koni yellows. but i got a pair of EG koni yellow rears and lca's to suit. They fit. but you need crx springs.

Long story. i found a brand new set of koni yellow internally adjustable on ebay for 400 for my 88crx (dc2r type lca) but then i wanted externally adjustable so i got a set of EG koni with kings off ebay also around 400 (used) meanwhile got a set of stock eg's with front fork for like $80. I used the stock EG fork with the EG front koni's, the brake line part from the stock eg's, springs (eibach) for crx, and my stock strut tops with the EG bushes for my front setup (need eg bushes cos the rod on shock is larger for externally adjustable). On the rears i have the internally adjustable at the moment cos i got the dc2r type lca, but will be replacing this with common lca to fit the externally adjustable koni's when i can be bothered. So in the end i will have a full set of practically brand new koni's (internally adjustable) as spares if ever i need.

At the moment i'm running eibach pro-kit on koni yellows all round with front and rear whitleine swaybars and front brace.

Eibach Pro Kit 125
Koni 400
Front Whiteline 100
Rear Whiteline 150
Cusco strut brace 180
Total 955

Ebay is your friend, just be patient. let me know if you want more detail about what i'm using....

crx51
14-02-2007, 01:16 PM
chef_32 sounds like you have a good little set up going there. I have a standard 89 crx so it would have the 89-91 lca's, i just want to be able to go to a suspension shop and get them to install everything and not need to chase parts through wreckers etc. So how do you find your car handles??

chef_32
14-02-2007, 02:06 PM
it corners far better than before. I'd like more positice castor on the front for better steering response and bump steer characteristics. rear damping i'm not sure of at the moment, i might go softer once i get the EG rears in. Need rear bracing cos the chassis creaks a fair bit with the current setup. But most importantly, i need good tires.

If you're keen on koni with ground control, go to the US crx sites, there are good deals up there. Or call around for prices on koni yellow's. and just get king springs. I don't trust coilovers unless they are european, the jap once tend to have closle placed damping curves with hard spring rates, and they aren't easy to get rebuilt.