PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gear issue with my crx

b16a man
14-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Ok i have a problem but dont know what it is. Firstly when i am driving my car and put it back into second gear when slowing down like when i turn into another street on when i slow down then accelarate the car seems to bunny hop and not want to go then it starts to pick up speed. I have no idea what this could be it feels like there is no fuel getting to it or the revs are low But have no idea what it is.Could it be the heavy duty clutch The engine is a b16a1 out of a civic 90 model the gear box is fairly smooth but this accelaration issue is really annoying when i drive it makes me want to sell the car. Really upset about this and dont know if it can be fixed as i havent got much cash at the moment any help would be great Thanks :confused:

bennjamin
14-02-2007, 02:31 PM
sounds like the clutch. When was it installed ? (recently) ?
The flywheel probably needs a proper resurface
IF the flywheel was not touched / or the clutch wasnt worn in correctly there will be burrs and bumps on the surface of the clutch plate and the flywheel. When coasting in a gear it could skip n jump like the car is about to stall

XB-16-AX
14-02-2007, 02:47 PM
yeh sounds like a clutch or flywheel issues, are you sure you got the correct clutch kit suited for your box? and the flywheel suited for ur engine?

ive had this issue as well ... and turns out it was the incorrect clutch installed. brought back to mechanics and replaced with correct clutch kit and re-machined the flywheel.

have you tried when slowing down to ride ur clutch ?? and see if it still does the bunny hopping?

what about when your at full stop? when in 1st gear and about to take off ...does it do the hopping? or do u have to ride the clutch to avoid this?

if so ...then get ur clutch kit / flywheel check again and see how u go ..

good luck man ... dont give up hope... if u got the mechanics to fit the clutch then they should fix it man.

remember than when u first install a new clutch your not suppose to trash or hit vtec hard, as your suppose to let the clutch plate wear in abit.

genkimashi
14-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Do check ur fuel pump and fuel injector 2.....

b16a man
14-02-2007, 04:01 PM
i dont really like driving my car cause it is a b*tch to drive as the clutch seems really spring like and doesnt catch easily also it is a 2 plate clutch will that help i think exedy i bought the car with this problem but it didnt do it when i was in it for a test drive really want to get this problem fixed i havent checked the fuel pump or the injectors but when you take off and hit it it goes well. Also the speedo doesnt read properly when i hit it from first to 2nd it reads way too low than it should first throught to 2nd then into 3rd the car only was doing 80kms but the car felt way faster could this be a problem because of the 18inch rims i have on there thanks for your help so far.

Drew
14-02-2007, 04:26 PM
i dont really like driving my car cause it is a b*tch to drive

Care to sell it ^_^ ?

XB-16-AX
14-02-2007, 10:39 PM
dude,

u sure its a twin plate clutch??? sure its not a brass button clutch? coz they are very tempremental if u dont know how to clutch a brass button..

also with 18inch wheels will make ur speed and speedometer slower.. its the weight of the wheels and the diameter it has to spin on.

I had 18inch, got rid of it for a 16inch coz i lost power when i had them on. now im hittin VTEC with torque steer.

Do you feel that when it bunny hops that the RPM dramatically drops? as in loosing power - like a fuel cut or something?

it would be a good idea just to clean/replace fuel filter and check the injectors and fuel pump as mentioned above.

is CEL throwing any codes at you? -

b16a man
15-02-2007, 08:06 AM
I dont understand what you mean by cel throwing codes at me i really do not know anything about cars at all thats why i am asking here :(
is that like the computer telling me something because i wouldnt know where to look??

Drew
15-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Pull up the carpet where the passengers feet would be
Theres a little box with a red light...

When you turn on the car you get one blink if its all good, if theres a problems it will blink continuously in sequence of short and long blinks...

XB-16-AX
15-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Pull up the carpet where the passengers feet would be
Theres a little box with a red light...

When you turn on the car you get one blink if its all good, if theres a problems it will blink continuously in sequence of short and long blinks...

He's engine is a B16A, possibly be an OBD0 PW0/PR3 ECU then yes he will have a RED light on the ECU, but if he he has an OBD1 then the Check engine Light in the dash cluster will be the one flashing.

Either way, it should flash several times, and count the number of times it flashes and the number of long flashes. - basically one long flash will state a 10 then followed by quick short flashes which represents single flash as 1 count. .e.g 1 long flash = 10 then followed by 7 short flashes = 7 = 10+7 = 17 then you do a search on the forum for the "CEL codes" and look it up and see what the code 17 means e.g. code 17 = VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

Dude, please advise of what kind of engine generation of the b16 that u have, otherwise check the above.

b16a man
15-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I have a b16a the first one out of a civic vtec 90 model it has 160 horsepower and vtec kicks in at 5500rpm

Does that help???

Is this sensor thing on that gold looking computer on the passengers side and is it on the top in the middle of the computer.

Thanks

XB-16-AX
15-02-2007, 10:15 PM
kool that means you have the first gen VTEC OBD0.

yes the gold looking thing should be clear in the middle, and will light up when u put the key to ignition.

its not a sensor, its an LED. but yes do the checks and see if it throws any codes, but prior to doing this, you will need to look for the service check connector and short it wit a U wire, this maybe located in your engine bay with a plug and nothing connected to it. BUT before you do that make sure that the key is off.

i will take a photo of what it looks like, just incase u short other plugs and could cause more damage.

will take a pic soon. unless someone out there already has the pic handy.