PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timers

JaCe
14-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I know this is n00b... but with turbo timers, when do people fit them to their car? I remember my cousin had it in his Evo7, but to the best of my knowledge, cars don't come with these standard... so how do you know when you need to fit one?

Also, can the turbo timer be used to control anything else? Such as automatically turning off my sound system or headlights?

m3ntAL_l2
14-02-2007, 08:35 PM
u can put one in anytime u want. its only there to warm down the engine after a hard drive

Zilli
14-02-2007, 09:02 PM
commonly used on turbocharged engines

the objective is to allow the turbo wheel which can be spinning at stupid roms to slow down and cool off before the motor is swiched off, allowing fresh, hipefully cooled oil to surround the bearing and iol galleries to cool it down

otherwise quick atmospheric cooling could cause rapid contraction of steel which could damage componenetry

JaCe
14-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Does that mean it's beneficial to use even on a stock turbocharged car?

tRipitaka
14-02-2007, 09:26 PM
it is beneficial, but it's illegal..

best thing to do is just sit in your car and wait.. or take the last few km's lightly, before reaching your destination.. allowing it to cool down

SLOWEGG
14-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Only if you're lazy to wait for 30sec-1min depending how hard youve been driving it before turning off your engine.

Mr_will
14-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Does that mean it's beneficial to use even on a stock turbocharged car?

yes. because turbos spin so fast, some around 150 000rpm for example (yes 150 000), they generate a lot more heat than your average engine, with respect to the fact that a turbo is much smaller.

when oil is left around them (ie when you turn your car straight off, after theyve been spinning at those speeds, the oil cooks and forms sludge, which can caused blockages, and significantly reduces the life of the turbo.

by keeping the engine running, the oil is circulating, but the turbo is barely spinning at all, so the oil has a chance to cool before it comes to rest.

im sure you could wire one up to turn off your sound system, but why would you want the system on when youre not in the car. ive heard of them being integrated with alarms, so that the alarm arms when the turbo timer stops.

JaCe
14-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Haha because I'm so shallow and I like my sound system on whilst I've turned my car off, getting my phone, bag, etc... before getting out of the car. Sounds weird- but Proton has it in their Gen2 and you never realise how cool it is until you actually have it.

As for the legality... why is it illegal? Doesn't it seem somewhat beneficial?

Mr_will
14-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Haha because I'm so shallow and I like my sound system on whilst I've turned my car off, getting my phone, bag, etc... before getting out of the car. Sounds weird- but Proton has it in their Gen2 and you never realise how cool it is until you actually have it.

As for the legality... why is it illegal? Doesn't it seem somewhat beneficial?

haha fair enough, to each their own. it is illegal to have your car running whilst you are not in it. as such, turbo timers per se are not illegal, because you COULD be using it and waiting in your car till your car shuts off, even though we all know most people dont do that. its just like pods are illegal on road cars, so they are sold on the proviso that people either put them in a box, or use them off road. we all know that isnt the case, but it protects the manufacturer.

its not beneficial in a n/a car, but it is in a turbo car.

bigjo5
14-02-2007, 09:56 PM
you can set it so it can open the door and winde down the window aswell!

EG5[KRT]
15-02-2007, 07:32 AM
i had one in a NA car but it was for so afta a track session i can leave the car and walk away n get a drink and lock it.. so that was handy..

defect
15-02-2007, 08:03 AM
yea its also good in the scene you want to warm up your car in the morning + not leave your keys in the car while its getting warmed up.

leave turbo timer for 5 minutes. lol

Zdster
15-02-2007, 08:22 AM
yea its also good in the scene you want to warm up your car in the morning + not leave your keys in the car while its getting warmed up.

leave turbo timer for 5 minutes. lol

Much easier to get an alarm that has an auto start feature.

it is beneficial, but it's illegal..

best thing to do is just sit in your car and wait.. or take the last few km's lightly, before reaching your destination.. allowing it to cool down

As trippy said, all you have to do is not drive as hard in the last few km's and you achieve the same thing as a turbo timer.

kid_dynamite
15-02-2007, 09:46 AM
unless you are lazy, you never need one. Especially with modern water-cooled turbo's

Not all turbs are water cooled ;)

//Had a TT in my old turbo car, new turbo car has one and I'm going to be removing it. 5 minutes driving sedately on the way home is enough in my opinion. If you track your car that's another thing, but you can just leave it idling for a while.

Some car alarm installers I've talked to tend to recommend not using them as it makes it easier to get to your ignition wiring, but each to their own I guess.

Mr_will
15-02-2007, 10:26 AM
another point thats worth raising:

when you leave your car with the turbo timer on it (obviously) has to be in neutral. this means that the handbrake is the only thing securing your car.
personally i know of at least 4 or 5 occasions when the handbrake hasnt been enough, even though its been on tight, and the cars have rolled into doors/trees/other cars.

whilst its unlikely, if the insurance company found out your car was running without you in it, they could deny the claim.

its much safer, and cheaper, to sit in the car and let it warm down, even if its only for 30 seconds.

JaCe
15-02-2007, 10:15 PM
another point thats worth raising:

when you leave your car with the turbo timer on it (obviously) has to be in neutral. this means that the handbrake is the only thing securing your car.
personally i know of at least 4 or 5 occasions when the handbrake hasnt been enough, even though its been on tight, and the cars have rolled into doors/trees/other cars.

whilst its unlikely, if the insurance company found out your car was running without you in it, they could deny the claim.

its much safer, and cheaper, to sit in the car and let it warm down, even if its only for 30 seconds.

Wow I never thought of that. I remember reading in Autosalon once that car alarms connected to auto start your car are illegal- I'm guessing that's the same as the turbo timer. hmm..

On a sidenote, it's interesting that back in Malaysia... most people park their cars using only the automatic gear in Park (no handbrake). For some reason I can't even imagine doing this in my car; even if I'm on a reasonably flat surface.

Mr_will
15-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Wow I never thought of that. I remember reading in Autosalon once that car alarms connected to auto start your car are illegal- I'm guessing that's the same as the turbo timer. hmm..

On a sidenote, it's interesting that back in Malaysia... most people park their cars using only the automatic gear in Park (no handbrake). For some reason I can't even imagine doing this in my car; even if I'm on a reasonably flat surface.

thats different though, in an automatic, if youre in park you are still locking the transmission. its not as good as having the handbrake as well, but far better than having the handbrake by itself

kid_dynamite
15-02-2007, 10:39 PM
ya, thats why i said especially those ones ;)

That'll teach me for not reading properly.. haha

JaCe
21-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I finally experienced what you guys are talkin about with the handbrake not being very effective. Thought I'd stop outside a friend's house on a slope, put car into neutral and handbrake on... and WTF CAR SLIDING?! *brake*