PDA

View Full Version : EG Civic Automatic engine upgrade

Vidospace
15-02-2007, 07:03 AM
Just wondering if you can help me out. I have a 1993 EG civic (Vtec D16) that my fiance is in love with. It has an auto tranny which she also wants to keep and she loves air conditioning and power steering. So what are my options in terms of upgrades? I was thinking a B series engine with a bit more torque. Say a 1.8 litre integra. Now I really do want to keep the PS and AC though.
The other option might be a turbo rebuild on the current D16 and a tranny upgrade to a prelude slushbox? Is this possible? I would love to get a better performing auto tranny for the car as the currenty one "hunts" constantly. Would a "sequential" auto out of a newer model integra fit?
Has anyone got experience with upgrading Honda Autos in high power hondas?

Vido

EG5[KRT]
15-02-2007, 07:29 AM
save ur $$ and just get a better car in auto..

i dont think it would b worth the trouble.. coz it would b hard to source an auto b series.. i dont think a prelude would mate up to a d series engine... and i don think a new k series integra auto would fit either..

if u really wanted to do up this car.. best bet would b to fit a turbo kit.. get a stall converter installed.. and rebuild the auto so the clutchpacks can handle the power..

Vidospace
15-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

defect
15-02-2007, 08:07 AM
I heard GPC has a automatic b16b eg and it pulls pretty good..

b16b & automatic gearbox are hard to find though so very best of luck.

hoonda
15-02-2007, 04:35 PM
yeah auto is your real problem here... a complete half cut manual b16 conversion (professionally done) can be had for $5000ish, give or take..pretty cheap for that kind of power upgrade.

a JDM b16a has climate control so no probs there..
and you would be hard pressed to find ANY car post-1980's that doesnt have PS..
but, to be more helpful.. a b16 or b18 or h22 would still have PS

Samo
16-02-2007, 02:37 AM
b16a and b18c go str8 in ...
both can have a/c and p/s ...
b16's comes in auto ... but never seen a b18 in auto ... dont think they come auto not too sure on this one

does anyone know?

EG30
16-02-2007, 03:41 AM
All comes down to how much is she in love with it...

If she is really in love with it and you want to preserve with creating the ultimate for both of you, and the budget is say $10K or so why not a H22 drivetrain from the 4th or 5th gen Prelude which has plenty of torque with the engine designed with auto option in mind?

The issue with the B16 and B18 series is the relative lack of torque down low and the reliance of revs thus hugely at odds with the motor's powerband. Having only 4 more widely spaced out ratios doesn't help either.

I still remember how much I disliked the EG Si auto when they 1st came out in the early 1990s. Felt lethargic and much slower than the ED auto 1.5 single cam eng off the mark.

Hasport custom H series eng mounts for EG would help a lot, and rigging up the A/C to fit your EG wont be straightforward. There is wiring to sort out and while you are there you would want to upgrade your brakes.

But you would have a dream ride that would be very unique that would keep you guys very happy and entertained for many years to come, so the amount spent even if it was say, $15K which is say 2x what your car is worth currently is still less than the depreciation of a new/newish interesting car.

And if you are not chasing 1/4 mile ET's, what about a 2.2L engine from the Accord? Not sure how much less work it is to fit than the H22 engines but I can imagine them being pretty cheap to buy.