PDA

View Full Version : EP3 Civic Type R update

Iron Chef
15-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone who has hounded me about what's happening to the EP3 - I admire your persistence!

To give you an update, the very first EP3 used by a compliance workshop (mine in the case of the workshop I'm using) has to go through a series of tests to make sure it meets the relevant ADRs. After the usual slow period over Christmas/New Year, they got stuck back into testing, only to find that there was no way the headlights could meet ADRs.

To explain, ADRs state that Xenon headlights must be equipped with an auto-leveling function as well as a headlight cleaning system. The EP3 apparently uses the same bulb for low and high beams, and has a motor to rotate the bulb as needed. After puzzling over it for quite some time (and a subsequent phone call to me to suggest the bleeding obvious!), the workshop has now simply pulled the entire headlight units out and replaced them with the halogen units from our local 5 doors. A good "temporary" solution for compliance and rego ;)

So the car is essentially done, and they're now waiting on Canberra for an inspection - once they've cleared it, it's full steam ahead. The workshop is hoping it will happen in the next month, but where Canberra's involved, it's risky to make predictions.

There is apparently another workshop doing EP3s in Sydney too, but I suspect the workshop I'm using will still be first to get them through. The workshop I'm using has said that people can go ahead and start buying cars in Japan, as he expects the compliance plates to be through by the time people buy their cars and bring them in, but delays may mean the possibility of the car being stuck in Japan for a little while (not that this is a big issue - it doesn't cost anything and the cars are perfectly safe there).

Cheers,

Kristian

Zdster
15-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for posting. Very interesting to read. So the workshop I guess is in Sydney? If you dont mind me asking, what sort of costs were involved (to date at least) with the registration/compliance testing?

misteR_bilzz
15-02-2007, 12:26 PM
great info thanks for the update.

Iron Chef
15-02-2007, 12:27 PM
The workshop that has mine is in Brisbane, and I think you'll find that once they're done, other workshops will take them on too - the workshop I'm using supplies the evidence it collects to other workshops for use on their test cars. It saves workshops all spending the money to get the same information.

It hasn't cost me a cent of course, but I suspect the workshop would've spent between $20-30K on it so far, factoring in things like labour too.

aaronng
15-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Wow! This is great news! Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Zdster
15-02-2007, 12:34 PM
The workshop that has mine is in Brisbane, and I think you'll find that once they're done, other workshops will take them on too - the workshop I'm using supplies the evidence it collects to other workshops for use on their test cars. It saves workshops all spending the money to get the same information.

It hasn't cost me a cent of course, but I suspect the workshop would've spent between $20-30K on it so far, factoring in things like labour too.

Oh, ok. So do you have a 'contract' with them or are you just planning on purchasing the car from them once the compliance plates have come through?

Since I have imported a car before pardon my ignorance, but is the workshop that is doing it soley an importer or engineers . . . . ?

Jomsy
15-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Ive been wanting an EP3R, PM me with some details on price, workshop etc..

aaronng
15-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Oh, ok. So do you have a 'contract' with them or are you just planning on purchasing the car from them once the compliance plates have come through?

Since I have imported a car before pardon my ignorance, but is the workshop that is doing it soley an importer or engineers . . . . ?

I think that the car that they are using for their first compliance IS his car that he imported.

Iron Chef
15-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Zdster, the workshop is purely set up for complying imported cars. They have to be ISO9001 accredited and have to jump through various other hoops for their registration as an approved workshop.

As a general rule, the cost to comply an import can vary from $3000-$5000 depending on the car involved. I suspect an EP3 would start in the very high $20Ks to get one on the road here when it's all done and dusted.

In the case of my car, workshops don't like having to tie up all their money on stock that sits there for months on end, and so what they do is offer free compliance to customers who bring in their test cars. For the customer, it means a wait for your car in return for free compliance, saving thousands of dollars. I send a lot of work their way, and I was the one who applied to make the EP3 eligible in the first place, so they asked me if I'd be interested in doing their test car. How could I turn an offer like that down?! :)

I normally source my own cars in Japan, but they actually found the right car at the right price before I did. Having searched for a white one, I ended up with a black one, so my chamois is going to get a workout I suspect!

Zdster
15-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Zdster, the workshop is purely set up for complying imported cars. They have to be ISO9001 accredited and have to jump through various other hoops for their registration as an approved workshop.

As a general rule, the cost to comply an import can vary from $3000-$5000 depending on the car involved. I suspect an EP3 would start in the very high $20Ks to get one on the road here when it's all done and dusted.

In the case of my car, workshops don't like having to tie up all their money on stock that sits there for months on end, and so what they do is offer free compliance to customers who bring in their test cars. For the customer, it means a wait for your car in return for free compliance, saving thousands of dollars. I send a lot of work their way, and I was the one who applied to make the EP3 eligible in the first place, so they asked me if I'd be interested in doing their test car. How could I turn an offer like that down?! :)

I normally source my own cars in Japan, but they actually found the right car at the right price before I did. Having searched for a white one, I ended up with a black one, so my chamois is going to get a workout I suspect!

Ok, now I get it. You still have the risk however that the car wont meet adr's right? In theory that means the $xx,000 car you bought (and that they tried to do compliance on) is not drivable on the streets - so there is some risk calculations you must factor in?

kid_dynamite
15-02-2007, 01:46 PM
As I no doubt know you're aware Chef, hope that the inspections go smoothly and that the RAWS don't have (m)any DIs to deal with. Couple of mates I know who run workshops are finding DOTARS inspections to be pretty painful these days.

Although bit surprised they didn't figure out the xenon lighting issue earlier. Throwing in a full halogen replacement is so much better than hacking the xenon housing though.

kid_dynamite
15-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Ok, now I get it. You still have the risk however that the car wont meet adr's right? In theory that means the $xx,000 car you bought (and that they tried to do compliance on) is not drivable on the streets - so there is some risk calculations you must factor in?

This is not specific to Kristian all workshops who put through test cars have to go through this. This is where having someone who can provide a clean, unmodified accident free car comes into it - something I'm sure he's got no trouble doing :)

Plus a workshop wouldn't waste money trying to put through a car that they weren't sure would pass the process. There's just too much money and time invested to waste!

Iron Chef
15-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Zdster - the only real issues that can't be fixed are rust and prior accident damage. If your car has either of those, then you might be in trouble. Aside from that, everything else can be fixed. They don't reject the car outright, they give a list of Discussion Items (DIs as kid dynamite mentions) that must be fixed before the car is approved. Just means more time gets soaked up...

kid dynamite, it depends on which inspector you get an what mood they're in at the time, history has shown. They wanted to keep the Xenons in and keep it legal, which was why they went to the effort of seeing if they could meet the regs before just swapping the whole unit over. I foresee a black market for Xenon headlights in the future though lol.

ennavoli
15-02-2007, 02:06 PM
kid dynamite, it depends on which inspector you get an what mood they're in at the time, history has shown. They wanted to keep the Xenons in and keep it legal, which was why they went to the effort of seeing if they could meet the regs before just swapping the whole unit over. I foresee a black market for Xenon headlights in the future though lol.

So in other words, the car already went through 1 stage of inspection in Canberra but they decided to fail the headlights, thus the delay for a re-inspection?

kid_dynamite
15-02-2007, 02:16 PM
So in other words, the car already went through 1 stage of inspection in Canberra but they decided to fail the headlights, thus the delay for a re-inspection?

Nah, the inspection is conducted at the workshop premises. But prior to the the workshop has to modify the car so that it complies with ADRs, submits a Vehicle Inspection Certificate (VIC) to DOTARS. Then DOTARS arranges a time for the inspection.

It will either pass, or fail with a list of DIs.

So what I think Chef was saying was that the workshop was trying to get a way for the xenons to pass ADRs - which definitely isn't easy in most Jap imports.

Iron Chef
15-02-2007, 02:21 PM
^^^Exactly :)

ennavoli
15-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Nah, the inspection is conducted at the workshop premises. But prior to the the workshop has to modify the car so that it complies with ADRs, submits a Vehicle Inspection Certificate (VIC) to DOTARS. Then DOTARS arranges a time for the inspection.

It will either pass, or fail with a list of DIs.

So what I think Chef was saying was that the workshop was trying to get a way for the xenons to pass ADRs - which definitely isn't easy in most Jap imports.

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

Spicey
15-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Subscribing :D

NightRyder
15-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Iron Chef, thanks for the update bro.

Quote:
"ADRs state that Xenon headlights must be equipped with an auto-leveling function as well as a headlight cleaning system."

I had a feeling cars that have Xenon lights need this wish-washer thing, as I had noticed it on all the current cars that have Xenon lights. Waste of water and power on the car I tell you...hehehe :p

Anyhow, great to hear it's going smoothly so far but yet slowly....
What did the guys at your workshop do about the side blinkers?...
I heard that is a compulsory requirement too?

Gosh, Canberra takes their time don't they...I wonder if that is all part of their plan...intentionally taking it slowly...to give more time and to protect the local car manufacturers so they can produce more cars to try and attract people like us in buying their local crappy vehicles and deter workshops (like yours) from importing and compliancing more cars...sheesh!...

Anyway, keep us updated alrighty! :cool:

Iron Chef
20-02-2007, 01:36 PM
OK latest news...Inspection date will be mid-late March...hey at least we have a date :S

Re the indicator repeater lights, I never actually followed that one up. I suspect they cut a hole in the guards and installed some, hopefully not crappy aftermarket ones!

Spicey
20-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Cool! Make sure you let us all know what it drives like! I think you will get a few customers out of this!

kid_dynamite
20-02-2007, 02:44 PM
OK latest news...Inspection date will be mid-late March...hey at least we have a date :S

Re the indicator repeater lights, I never actually followed that one up. I suspect they cut a hole in the guards and installed some, hopefully not crappy aftermarket ones!

Which state is your RAWS in?

I've been advised by a couple of RAWS (and the recipient of one such car) for which sidies weren't needed to be added. It may have been the particular car (R32 GTST) but from the pictures of the EP3 CTR I would have thought that the front side indicators would have been sufficient?

NightRyder
22-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Which state is your RAWS in?

I've been advised by a couple of RAWS (and the recipient of one such car) for which sidies weren't needed to be added. It may have been the particular car (R32 GTST) but from the pictures of the EP3 CTR I would have thought that the front side indicators would have been sufficient?

I'm not sure about all states, but apparently you need some side indicators that can be visible on the angle from the side, if you get what I mean. The front side indicators may not be enough. :(
Guess it saves the hassle of having it to be noted as a 'discussion item'... :)

kid_dynamite
23-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure about all states, but apparently you need some side indicators that can be visible on the angle from the side, if you get what I mean. The front side indicators may not be enough. :(
Guess it saves the hassle of having it to be noted as a 'discussion item'... :)

Might not even be a state thing as it's probably an ADR thing. But from looking at the car, it looks like it wouldn't need them - and I think it looks nicer without.
I get what you're saying though. The R32 Skyline has the indicators are built into the headlight assembly, some shops went for approval without adding sideys, whilst some added them. Some of the additions have used crappy looking indicators which ruins it.

PaZzMaN-R
26-02-2007, 01:23 PM
hey guys, thought i would also just inform you that there is en ep3 undergoing the same process in sydney! the same guy will also be importing them for whoever wants one:D
pm for more details!

[[d a n n y]]
27-02-2007, 01:12 AM
i think i know exactly which 1 it is
it's a CW EP3 brough in as a personal import. waiting for approval. from canberra

Zdster
28-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Is the inspection date so far away because they are that busy or some other reason?

PaZzMaN-R
28-02-2007, 03:40 PM
];1082434']i think i know exactly which 1 it is
it's a CW EP3 brough in as a personal import. waiting for approval. from canberra

could be...

Iron Chef
04-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Pazzman-R - I know who they are, and I suspect I'll get in before them lol.

End of the month for the inspection date :)