PDA

View Full Version : Slotted rotors and pads

zerospel
16-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Hey guys

Just wondering how much difference can slotted rotor do if I upgrade the pads as well?

And what do you guys think of the DBA rotors compared to Zeal rotors?

Im thinkin to get front pads and if thats still not enough should I just get front rotors or should i just add rear pads ?

EG30
16-02-2007, 03:22 AM
Slotted rotors helps letting the hot gas out, created from the friction material's binding resin at high temps.

I got the DBA rotors on my EG Si, AMG C36 and soon on my VR Com-mode and DC2R once we've upgrade the tyres.

I buy DBA in most cases as they are very cheap and never had any quality issues with them. Bought a pair of ED rotors and std pads (semi metallic) for $80 yesterday! Having a fren who owns a brake parts wholesale shop helps too.

Don't know anything with Zeal so I can't comment on them.

I would suggest DBA slotted front rotors+lucas (spanish made)front and rear pads first, and slotted rotors rear later if you deem them nec for looks.

Ferodo DS2500 would be even better more trackwork, but $200+ a set of pads compared to $65 for the Lucas.

pic of my EG Si setup:

http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rotorslotqf3.jpg

at the end of the day everyone has different needs and budget, the only way to find out is to try out different combos over time and learn from the experience; and hopefully enjoyment as well.

zerospel
16-02-2007, 12:21 PM
how much difference does these lucas ones make compared to ferodo? worth paying extra?

Drew
16-02-2007, 12:47 PM
For track it's really trial and error when it comes to this sort of stuff to see what fits with your car and driving style

For road use it's all the same really as long as you don't get cheap crap

Give Lucas a shot and if they work well for you then be it... If not then get more expensive pads

aaronng
16-02-2007, 01:14 PM
DS2500 is a sport pad. When cold, they bite like stock. When warm, they bite very well. But they are noisy and squeal a lot.

Lucas pads, depends on the model. At $60, those are probably the OEM replacements and same as stock.

nigs
16-02-2007, 07:36 PM
A friend is running Lucas on slotted DBA (WRX) and he hates them.
Then again...he did come down from Endless NA-something...I think.

I've found EBC green stuff to be a good inbetween. Not bad when cold and damn good when warm. But can't comment on how they hold up on the track.
There seems to be a few complaints about the EBC but they were all used on much much heavier cars (GTRs).

But for $120 a pair for ITR front calipers, I thought it was worth it.

EG30
17-02-2007, 02:27 AM
My Lucas pads are rated to about 500C ( when they have no friction left ), but in real life they start to feel greasy on the pedal and pedal effort goes right up after about 350C rotor temp ( measured rotor temp with infra red temp probe ). The DS2500 is rated to about 650C and I've been told it doesn't go downhill till about 500-520C, so effectively much more dependable pad when the going gets though.

Everyone has diff pref, budgets and driving requirements. I punted the car as hard as I could on the backstreets in my EGSi with not much power, street tyres and 350C was the limit of my setup.

For trackwork anything more than a couple of laps on R compound tyres this setup would be useless and scary thus my goal is to have DC2R rotors/calipers/master cyl with DS2500s when my car is track ready with the right drivetrain and tyres.

For street I would much prefer the Lucas, cheap as, no noise even though plenty of brake dust. Why wear out the $$$ pads on the street?

EBC green could cause uneven distribution of firction material on the rotor surface causing all sorts of problems in some apps. My fren Nick with the brake wholesale biz an EBC agent who had EBC green on his SS ute and had some dramas after few mths of use and now he recommends only the EBC reds even for light cars like the Civics. That bedding in material on the new EBC pads and to a lesser extent the new Bendix range is really handy btw.

roar
17-02-2007, 04:34 AM
slotted rotors are overrated...don't be fooled by the bling-i-ness of them

modern disc pads don't put out anywhere near the amount of gas as pads from the old times, due to more advanced composition...

slotted rotors have very marginal improvements in brake performance, tho if you combine that with the decreased surface area contact with the pad...you'll be lucky to find any gains at all...

think about it, what type of rotors do F1 cars use...blanks

Drew
17-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Yeah but the brakes on an F1 car are worth more than your house

Slightly different ball game...

Going fast isn't enough these days on the track, you really have to look the part too ;)

EG30
17-02-2007, 01:07 PM
F1 cars have carbon brakes with trick cooling ducts built inside the wheel cavities. Don't forget they only have 13" wheels too with some very high profile tyres.

What make them stop so well is not the carbon brakes ( as IRL and champ cars and pre carbonbrakes F1 days still stop almost as well ), is the combination of tyre grip and downforce aero grip aval to stop the wheels locking up from the huge amount of friction aval. Hence at slow chicanes the F1 cars lock the front brakes very easily and almost never happens at the end of the main straights.

nigs
17-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Now when I think about it, I did have alot of troubles with my rotors and pedal feel when using EBC Greens.

Could have been something totally unrelated though....oh well too late, I already have a new setup. >_<

Drew
17-02-2007, 08:59 PM
EBCs are dodgy at best...

I haven't used them myself but from feed back from others they crack and don't withstand temperatures they are rated for

Based on that Ive never used them

BlitZ
17-02-2007, 10:04 PM
why would u upgrade rotors and keep std pads... the only reason is eheheh rice.. eheh

Pads are 500x better to upgrade first.

BlitZ
17-02-2007, 10:07 PM
EBCs are dodgy at best...

I haven't used them myself but from feed back from others they crack and don't withstand temperatures they are rated for

Based on that Ive never used them

They arent all that bad...
people who normally experience issues with them are people who normally drive heavier cars (skylines, commodores etc etc)

I have used them in the past and so has a couple of my other firends on hondas. The general consenus was they are pretty good, however eats the rotors abit(kinder expected with semi metallic stuff anyways)..

I have tracked the ebc green stuff (discontinued) ... worked fine, even though its just meant to be a street pad.

From memory the EBD red stuff is made from the same compound as the ferodo ds2500 (meant to kick arese)...

jsut my 2 pittance

Drew
18-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Oh yeah not everyone that I know that's used EBC pads had them crack or not perform... But one or two bad experiences is enough to put me off

It was probably a few off batches, but still

zerospel
18-02-2007, 09:46 PM
why would u upgrade rotors and keep std pads... the only reason is eheheh rice.. eheh

um no as original post says i wanted to do pads first then if not good enough its either rotors or rear pads

roar
20-02-2007, 12:21 AM
okay yes...do pads first...see how that goes

but if you decide to go rotors...you should get new pads to go with the new rotors so you have even rotor wear...

Zilli
20-02-2007, 11:51 AM
where can i buy these ferodo's? any of the traders here?

aaronng
20-02-2007, 12:22 PM
slotted rotors are overrated...don't be fooled by the bling-i-ness of them

modern disc pads don't put out anywhere near the amount of gas as pads from the old times, due to more advanced composition...

slotted rotors have very marginal improvements in brake performance, tho if you combine that with the decreased surface area contact with the pad...you'll be lucky to find any gains at all...

think about it, what type of rotors do F1 cars use...blanks
Slotted rotors remove the glazed layer off your pads (if there is any from hot and hard braking).

BTW, F1 discs are made from full carbon. They are too hard to cut/mill/grind. That's why they don't have slots in them.

aaronng
20-02-2007, 12:23 PM
From memory the EBD red stuff is made from the same compound as the ferodo ds2500 (meant to kick arese)...

jsut my 2 pittance

No, EBC red is not from the same compound as DS2500. EBC red is an abrasive compound, while DS2500 is an adhesive one. EBC red also eats through your rotors very quickly unlike DS2500.

egSi
20-02-2007, 12:53 PM
endless vn9500 + blanks :thumbsup:

Muzz
20-02-2007, 01:12 PM
id go for blanks too, slotted rotors might add an extra 1% braking capacity, there really just bling items IMO. Id just go for good pads and blanks too if the only thing your after is better braking performance.

For a given amount of money you could buy excelent pads, or good pads and slotted rotors. Excelent pads will give better performance than good pads w/slotted rotors.
Id save the money for other more important stuff.

Most of the top racers who run in the H1 level in the honda chalange use cheap autozone blanks.

aaronng
20-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Most of the top racers who run in the H1 level in the honda chalange use cheap autozone blanks.

That's because after each race, the rotors would be warped to hell from the overheating and it would be better to just throw on new ones for each race. It's different when on the street.

EG30
20-02-2007, 02:09 PM
For me Slotted Rotors are icing on the cake.

In the days of Tarox 40 slot rotors they were $$$, had to get from from say Demon Tweaks in the UK and having 40 slots really reduces the friction area avail.

When slotted rotors became widely avail here in Aust from DBA they were quite reasonably priced even though you still pay a premium over the non slotted items.

But now with RDA rotors, the premium I pay is around $20-30 per rotor more for slotted ones; sometimes even less for popular rotors. So hardly worth losing sleep to the slotted option for me.

They are becoming more and more common on the market its bling value is nothing like what it used to be ( mobile phones in the last 10 years compared to b4 anyone? ). For that you'll need monster cross drilled discs/bling calipers with bling wheels to match.

aaronng
20-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Slotted with 6-8 slots are good.

Cross-drilled ones are only for bling. Put them on the track and watch them crack.

iced
20-02-2007, 03:12 PM
lucas are good for street eg30 but on the track they will just get ****ed up after 3-4laps

a good cheap pad under 200$ good for track is race brakes rb74

Muzz
20-02-2007, 07:23 PM
That's because after each race, the rotors would be warped to hell from the overheating and it would be better to just throw on new ones for each race. It's different when on the street.

Most of them use them because the rotors wear down to quick with track use to waste spending money on slotted ones. I havnt yet heard of anyone replacing them after every race because of consistant warping, seems most replace them from wear issues:confused:

zerospel
20-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Anyone experienced Endless pads? SSS or CCA seems ok and have ok prices too...

aaronng
20-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Most of them use them because the rotors wear down to quick with track use to waste spending money on slotted ones. I havnt yet heard of anyone replacing them after every race because of consistant warping, seems most replace them from wear issues:confused:
Sorry, warp and wear. :thumbsup:

Limbo
20-02-2007, 08:13 PM
i got slotted rotors, didn't really feel any difference, i think its more just for keeping the dust off the rotors whilst braking alot otherwise its more for bling.
I thought they would do some difference also

roar
20-02-2007, 08:22 PM
i got slotted rotors, didn't really feel any difference, i think its more just for keeping the dust off the rotors whilst braking alot otherwise its more for bling.
I thought they would do some difference also

tada!

theyre over-rated i tells ya

Eclipsor
20-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Anyone experienced Endless pads? SSS or CCA seems ok and have ok prices too...

Have recently put Endless SSY and RDA slotteds on the rear. Had just done a drum to disc conversion though so I could only really compare them to either the drums with cheap shoes or the thousand year old pads and corroded rotors that were on the hubs from the wreckers. But the difference was huge.

I will be putting the same setup on the front tomorrow so will probably post back when that's done.

Like someone mentioned above. With the price of the RDA stuff it's really no big thing getting the slotted rotors.