PDA

View Full Version : DC5R second gear not going in properly

obsessionz
16-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi guys ive had my DC5R for about 2 weeks now, ive noticed alot of the times, Second gear just doesnt wanna go in easily .... at times it will go in perfectly ... but most of the times its a bitch dunno why... i have to force it in...

Anyone know wat this could be from and how to fix it?

Much appreciated...

Tofu
16-02-2007, 08:42 AM
is it like this when cold or warm?

with the TypeS it's common that 3rd gear somtimes doesn't go in properly, but 2nd gear is totally fine. Never grind 2nd, but i have grind 3rd and 4th sometimes...but that's just my lazy left foot.

2nd gear grind is common on DC5R, but i have heard people say change the gearbox oil maybe.

p3p5y
16-02-2007, 08:44 AM
This is a known issue with the DC5R gearbox.

Take a look at this post Here (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=290490). It will help you get familiarised with the issue and what not to do to provoke it.

I find that it grinds more often when I am shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 at high RPMs.

But then again, my shifting technique could be whats causing it to grind.

obsessionz
16-02-2007, 08:44 AM
happens whenever ... sometimes will go in fine sometimes with be notchy like a bitch ... have to fight wit it ..

EG5
16-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Try to replace your gearbox oil and bleed your clutch fluid 1st

obsessionz
16-02-2007, 02:02 PM
hey so if i change the gear box oil? and its still does it what's the next option is there a fix?

fuze
16-02-2007, 02:30 PM
i know it may sound silly but change your seat alittle foward.. it happend to me and ever since i moved my seat foward i dont have that problem of shifting into 2nd.. its be couse your to far (maybe) and its cousing the shifting into an angle (insted of a stright line, your forcing it into an angle position)..

6000rpm
16-02-2007, 02:34 PM
i believe the problem may be the synchros in the tranny?

its common with dc5r. ive got the same prob. i tend to shift into 2nd past 3000rpm and it goes in smoothly.

but change your trans oil first.

RyDC5S
16-02-2007, 09:11 PM
is it like this when cold or warm?

with the TypeS it's common that 3rd gear somtimes doesn't go in properly, but 2nd gear is totally fine. Never grind 2nd, but i have grind 3rd and 4th sometimes...but that's just my lazy left foot.

2nd gear grind is common on DC5R, but i have heard people say change the gearbox oil maybe.

Yep, 2-3 gear change is a bit of a grind sometimes.

It's usually alright after servicing.

mugsee
16-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Try to replace your gearbox oil and bleed your clutch fluid 1st

I'd say to try this first as well. Take a look at Redline MTL for the DC5R gearbox - the OEM stuff just really isn't that good.

eriktufa
17-02-2007, 12:21 PM
It's normal when the car is cold, well it's normal for my car.

I never have problem shifting at high rpm with OEM fluids and my gearbox

Cr@ckerJ@ck
17-02-2007, 06:05 PM
OEM is fine for me, just get it changes at say every 10000..

mugsee
17-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Sorry I should have been more clear in what I said. OEM is great if the box doesn't have any issues and the shifts are as per brand new, however if you do get 2nd gear grinding or notchiness, aftermarket fluids can help out.

bakaduo
17-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Well if it helps, i just had my DC5R serviced for 80k so they did all the oils and at first the problem disappeared for a while, but after about a fortnight, it started happening again! so as far as i can tell it seems to be a pretty common problem. and i don't think its got much to do with technique as many of us have different techniques but still eventuate to the same problem...

although as a side note i do find that during warm to hot days that if i shift between 2-3k then there's a problem, you really have to kick hard on the clutch to get the thing in there!

DC5TYPER
17-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I use Motul Gearbox Oil and it stopped it for a long time. rarely does it happen again.

By memory I think its sumthin to do with the bushes and 2nd gear to close to sumthin else so it rubs easy. Using very good gearbox oil lubricates the gear and sinchro's better and helps alot against rubbing.

matt
18-02-2007, 01:19 AM
definately something pretty common to the dc5 6 speed box.
i also find that its better when hot, by that i mean that it generally takes a few higher rpm shifts to really free it up, on mine anyway.
i did change the oil bout 15000km ago and it did help for a while but its back again, i may try some aftermarket oil next time.

out of interest has anyone had this fixed as per the service bulletin for the RSX-S as my car is still under honda warranty for about another 9 months. i did take it in and they could feel the problem but they said they would have to open the box first before they cover it and if they decided its not then i have to pay for it it even just to put it back in. at the time i didn't push it but interested if any one has hadit fixed?

obsessionz
18-02-2007, 02:52 AM
anyone have a real fix? the solutions given suck ... lol ive changed the damn gear box oil does shit all..

matt
18-02-2007, 09:27 AM
the real fix is shown in the PDF on the link the p3p5y posted, did you have a look through there? it invoves replacing the 5+6 gear syncros and a few other bits. tho if you have a search though the transmission thread on CRSX some have had success with the fix while others havent so i would do more research before you do and i dont know how much succss there has been getting honda aus to fix under warranty hence my last post.

p3p5y
18-02-2007, 09:40 AM
i know it may sound silly but change your seat alittle foward.. it happend to me and ever since i moved my seat foward i dont have that problem of shifting into 2nd.. its be couse your to far (maybe) and its cousing the shifting into an angle (insted of a stright line, your forcing it into an angle position)..

LoL, I pulled my chair forward a little bit a few days ago to see if this would actually help.

Surprisingly it actually made my shifting a whole lot smoother. The grinding I believe is still there, but it's not as bad as it used to be anymore. It only grinds when I apply too much force when changing from one gear to another (say, from gear 2 to 3). Then it would feel grindy going from gear 3 to 4.

My gear stick slides quite nicely from first to second, then from second to third. I can shift effortlessly with two fingers on the knob.

So, give this a go. It doesn't hurt to try and if it doesn't work, then you'll know that it's not your shifting technique that's at fault.

45SET
19-02-2007, 04:04 PM
what gearbox oil did you use?

i experianced this problem when i first bought my r.... I use Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil.

the previous owner used this oil and had it in the car for about close to 15k km.... so it was dead, so i was getting the 2nd gear crunch. i changed it, and it was gone, cold, hot, high rpm, low rpm... felt like a hot knife through butter. the oil is about 10k old... so it'll need a change shortly, as i am getting the 2nd gear crunch on cold starts.

on a side note... if you want to set your seat up "correctly" have is so you can rest your wrist on the top of the steering wheel, with a slight bend in your elbows.... and so that you can fully depress the clutch.... with a slight bend in your knee.

hope this helps dude... if you try all the above (using a none OEM oil), changing seat possition etc etc it might be something inside the box... also how many ks on the car? this might give the guru's a better idea.

obsessionz
19-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Guys all of the DC5r's are doing this ... its not the way we shift or the oil we use or either the seat position... its something mechanically wrong with the gear box... syncros 2nd gear*

Honda should have a fix for this if anyone knows a fix that Honda has came up wit let us all know thanks..

45SET
19-02-2007, 04:12 PM
go ask honda then.

aaronng
19-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Have you tried going back to OEM MTF?

obsessionz
19-02-2007, 04:17 PM
who should i call which honda dealer etc? head service office? who do i ask?

Just changed gear box oil running oem oil

aaronng
19-02-2007, 04:20 PM
who should i call which honda dealer etc? head service office? who do i ask?

Just changed gear box oil running oem oil

Where is your clutch bite point? Is it at the bottom, middle or top of your clutch travel?

obsessionz
19-02-2007, 04:25 PM
wat does it matter clutch can be all the way in and when i go to put it into second only when car is cold ... wont go in smoothly have to fight wit it...

45SET
19-02-2007, 04:29 PM
go to a honda dealer and ask to speak to the head mechanic about your problem.

You seem to be the only DC5r owner that realy "cares" about the problem, most of us are fine with just changing the gearbox oil ever few thousand K's. As i have heard of people going from OEM to aftermarket and the problem going away.

aaronng
19-02-2007, 04:34 PM
wat does it matter clutch can be all the way in and when i go to put it into second only when car is cold ... wont go in smoothly have to fight wit it...

Because if your clutch bite point is low at the ground, then it could be the clutch not disengaging fully to allow you a shift into 2nd. Just covering every possible cause.

obsessionz
19-02-2007, 06:51 PM
ok coolz thanks im gonna see honda soon ... im just a fussy **** i like things to work how they should or i get mad ...

aaronng
19-02-2007, 06:58 PM
ok coolz thanks im gonna see honda soon ... im just a fussy **** i like things to work how they should or i get mad ...
So is your clutch bite point, low, middle or high?

7ypeR
19-02-2007, 08:34 PM
It's a good chance that one of your engine mounts are gone. I know it feels like its your gearbox which it is, but it's caused by the vibration of the engine. Factory DC5R mounts are only so strong but will easily sh*t themselves if launched too hard or quickshifting gears. I have come across this problem. Twice!! It's a good chance that it's either your front crossmember mount or gearbox mount. Once the mount goes, the engine movement during acceleration is quite drastic. You should really check this out.

P.S. I use Redline Shockproof and it's Gold mate. No need to change after 10 000 klms but it is recommended by Honda to be changed every 60k if being put under extreme pressure.

Hope that helps dude ;)

maracer
19-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeh,
I’ve been having a bit of a problem too with sometimes hard to select gears.
The car (DC5S) was due for a service today, told the Honda dealer about it, all they done was changed the gear box oil.
It seems to change better now a lot smoother than before. Lets see how long this will last?

Cr@ckerJ@ck
19-02-2007, 10:24 PM
I remember having this problem when I 1st got my DC5R, 1st >6000+rpm, bam 2nd!! CruNch Crunch....****

then i got use to it....... I don't know when last i have grinded/missed/failed 2nd gear but for some reason after driving it this way for so many years I believe i've adapted and learned what not to do.

RyDC5S
20-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeh,
The car (DC5S) was due for a service today, told the Honda dealer about it, all they done was changed the gear box oil.
It seems to change better now a lot smoother than before. Lets see how long this will last?

Its always like that, after service the shifts feel good but like a month or two after - its doing it again. (and I'm shifting over 3k revs where it engages well).

I'll probably raise this with Panda again at the next service.

obsessionz
20-02-2007, 10:05 PM
dw about it man thats how they are... they can't fix it y0

Tofu
20-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Its always like that, after service the shifts feel good but like a month or two after - its doing it again. (and I'm shifting over 3k revs where it engages well).

I'll probably raise this with Panda again at the next service.

hmm...you sometimes don't shift after 3000rpm?
i kinda always need to shift after 3000rpm

eriktufa
20-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Normally crunching and not smooth clutch engagement will happen if u shift below 3k, if you shift above 3k normally everything will be smooth, well that's the case for me :D

obsessionz
25-02-2007, 01:54 AM
Guys all I have to say is today I tried Red Line Light Weight Shockproof Gear Box oil.. to replace the oem shit... and the results are magic... my gear box is like silk now... all gears go in perfect.. 2nd gear is so much better! big improvement it didnt fix it 100% but yeh sooo much better massive difference i reccomend it to anyone wit gear grinding on their DC5R ... do it before u wear ur syncros more... cost me $135 just for the oil but its worth every cent =o)

XP02ED
19-03-2007, 10:04 PM
which one to get!

http://www.redlineoil.com.au/product-ordering.asp

obsessionz
19-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Red Line Light Weight Shockproof Gear Box oil?? u can get it at autobarn Auburn on Parramatta rd... they the only autobarn that stock it i think ..

XP02ED
19-03-2007, 10:14 PM
oo thanks did you use this for both clutch and brakes?

chinesewhisperz
20-03-2007, 06:40 PM
i think the motul does a good job for me cos i service & change every 10k. but i'm assuming with red line lights u would have to change it every 5k or so. i could be wrong.

RyDC5S
20-03-2007, 09:48 PM
hmm...you sometimes don't shift after 3000rpm?
i kinda always need to shift after 3000rpm

I do shift after 3k rpm - it the gears grind otherwise.

RyDC5S
20-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeh,

Yeah its smooth after servicing, but after a couple of weeks - 2nd gear is a pain sometimes.

Can't always throttle the thing in traffic.

maracer
02-04-2007, 08:23 PM
FFFFFFFFark'n, I had to say it, the last few days i've noticed it's started to come back again(hard to select gears again).
I'll be calling Honda again, lets see whats next.

obsessionz
02-04-2007, 08:27 PM
its from the cold ... but when the car warms up its fine... just rev match when u change your gears ... until its warm should be all good...

Chi
02-04-2007, 09:54 PM
obessionz gear box is fine , hes just paranoid lol

XP02ED
27-04-2007, 01:43 PM
maen i just called autobarn to get redline oils for my clutch change and maybe brakes they said they dont have it...

what exactly should i ask for LOL

i asked for redline brake/transmission oil

destrukshn
27-04-2007, 01:54 PM
maen i just called autobarn to get redline oils for my clutch change and maybe brakes they said they dont have it...

brake and clutch fluid is the same.
transmission fluid is different.

you can you use castrol 5.1dot fluid, good stuff, for the brake and clutch fluid.

aaronng
27-04-2007, 01:54 PM

It's not brake/clutch fluid. It's manual transmission fluid and it goes into your gearbox.

XP02ED
27-04-2007, 02:19 PM
oh shiet that sounded wrong, i think i better call again and ask for redline transmission fluid! hahaha not having problems with me clutch or brakes hehee

oopz soz my bad :D

Castrol? hmm iono everyone here seems to say go with redline, so i think i might follow

EDIT: argh i called 2 week wait, and i cant wait it needs to change!

ill try the Castrol out, any store i assum just ask for castrol 5.1dot fluid

aaronng
27-04-2007, 02:31 PM
ill try the Castrol out, any store i assum just ask for castrol 5.1dot fluid

Just use Honda brake fluid. If you can't get that, then Castrol DOT4 super response is good and reasonably priced. DOT5.1 absorbs moisture quicker than DOT4.

G3RA1D
27-04-2007, 02:39 PM
oh shiet that sounded wrong, i think i better call again and ask for redline transmission fluid! hahaha not having problems with me clutch or brakes hehee

Give those BURSON stores a call. They usually have it in stock. That's where i got mine..
Nearest one to you would be in penrith.

Burson - Penrith
02 6581 2661
1 - 2, 148 Lake Road
PORT MACQUARIE, 2444, NSW

obsessionz
27-04-2007, 02:59 PM
http://www.redlineoil.com.au <<< click here to see where there stockist are ... use Redline shock proof light gear box oil... your gear box notchy when cold?

XP02ED
27-04-2007, 03:54 PM
yeh btu i guess i havent changed it since i bought it, the guy didint service it been about 11000ks so i think i should change it this weekend.

redline is abit dear though 130 for 4 litres ;S
ill try honda directly then try other oils

$14.80 a litre for transmission oil!

while im at it whats good brake/clutch fluid? redline as well? or OEM is fine?

mugsee
27-04-2007, 04:56 PM
I'd actually go the Redline MTL over the lightweight shockproof and I'd also reccomend Royal Purple which is around the same price as Redline.

PM me for prices on both oils.

obsessionz
27-04-2007, 05:19 PM
wrong section ...

TiaN
28-04-2007, 01:08 PM
yup. happened to my DC5R as well. esp more so when cold, it was an absolute bitch to shift into 2nd from 1st.

obsessionz
28-04-2007, 02:55 PM
how about from 3rd into 2nd down shifting when cold?

didz
30-04-2007, 07:46 PM
My dc5r is fine for me. it has grinded a couple of times but thats because i tend to try and shift too fast. all of my gears move smoothly and i have found that quick shifting is also smooth as long as my foot is on the clutch when i try to change lol! timing is the key! But someone mentioned engine mounts? it makes a bit of sense. Best bet is to call honda and ask them is it a certified "common" problem.

thebob
30-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I have a ITR box in my car and had the similar issues. I use to have to double clutch to get into certain gears and when my car was cold/warming up when i would turn corners the LSD would Make a slight just hearable noise. I put in this special LSD oil thats like $70 for a litre and it fixed it up, both the lsd noise and no need to double clutch. Im running a after market LSD but.

[RSX 03]
30-04-2007, 08:37 PM

obsessionz
01-05-2007, 12:35 PM
*post deleted*

EL_DC5
01-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Try crunching the gear until you stuff it and buy a type s box.
LOL never mind me im insane

[RSX 03]
01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
vrooooooooooooooBWWWAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMP!!

obsessionz
01-05-2007, 03:04 PM
*post deleted*

[RSX 03]
01-05-2007, 04:34 PM
gearbox oil maybe?

XP02ED
01-05-2007, 11:24 PM
hahaha i didnt change my tranmission oil, but my engine oil..

and what ya know i dont have a problem! BUT i found out that my custom pipes i had was hitting the clutch thingoes looks like dampers.. and i removed it at same time and no more problem! ahhaa

Spoon-Accord
02-05-2007, 08:14 AM
if it doesnt go in. JUST SHOVE IT IN YO

it works for me :P

obsessionz
02-05-2007, 11:02 AM
shove it in and say by to your syncros ...

EL_DC5
02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
you have to be at one with your car. Feel when your car wants 2nd.
see if that help i stole it from another forum LOL

RyDC5S
03-05-2007, 12:17 AM
FFFFFFFFark'n, I had to say it, the last few days i've noticed it's started to come back again(hard to select gears again).
I'll be calling Honda again, lets see whats next.

What did they say?

del501
21-02-2008, 08:57 PM
which motul gearbox mtf did you get for your dc5r??

I use Motul Gearbox Oil and it stopped it for a long time. rarely does it happen again.

By memory I think its sumthin to do with the bushes and 2nd gear to close to sumthin else so it rubs easy. Using very good gearbox oil lubricates the gear and sinchro's better and helps alot against rubbing.

del501
21-02-2008, 09:11 PM
which redline shockproof oil do i buy, theres superlight, lightweight, heavy shock proof???

45SET
22-02-2008, 06:35 PM
none.

Use OEM, put a heavy gear knob on (FN2r is what i have), and pull the stick to the left when putting into gear while the car is still cold.