PDA

View Full Version : Car stalling on idle

traumatized
17-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Hello all...

I'm actually asking this on behalf of a friend. She has a 1993 Civic Hatch. I believe it's a 1.5L Carby (GL) It's Auto.

Her problem is when she is driving and comes to a light (complete stop) her car stalls (i think the idle drops)... does anyone know why this is occuring?

she has just got a oil change, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, and sparks changed. the timing is fine.

any help is appreicated.. thanks

ECU-MAN
17-06-2004, 09:40 PM
is it the dual carby or single carby ?

dash pot could be not working on the mono carby, Idle set to low !!!.
if its a GL it should be a dual carby job. these mofos still have the old EACV valve and an ECU. ( see DIY EACV clean ) so it could be that, some times the pistons in the dual carbs seize up and it will make the engine run like crap as well as idle crap.

what's the distributor cap and rotor button like ( there just as important as the leads and plugs )

when it idling right unplug the eacv valve and take it for a drive and see if it is better. if it is better , clean or replace the EACV valve.

note this will put a code in the ecu so u will need to reset it.

good luck

[[d a n n y]]
17-06-2004, 09:43 PM
well i used to have this trouble on my breeze..

it turned out that...

sum dirty stuff got into the carby..

after i got it cleaned..

the car was fine...

civicboy
17-06-2004, 11:29 PM
sorry to ask a dumbo q's but does breeze have EACV?

traNce_gl
17-06-2004, 11:35 PM
yeh i had the same problem mine were dual carbs to..

mine were dirty and i had some thing i had to replace to

ECU-MAN
18-06-2004, 07:05 PM

yeah it does

traumatized
18-06-2004, 09:26 PM
is it the dual carby or single carby ?

dash pot could be not working on the mono carby, Idle set to low !!!.
if its a GL it should be a dual carby job. these mofos still have the old EACV valve and an ECU. ( see DIY EACV clean ) so it could be that, some times the pistons in the dual carbs seize up and it will make the engine run like crap as well as idle crap.

what's the distributor cap and rotor button like ( there just as important as the leads and plugs )

when it idling right unplug the eacv valve and take it for a drive and see if it is better. if it is better , clean or replace the EACV valve.

note this will put a code in the ecu so u will need to reset it.

good luck

it's a dual carby

ECU-MAN
18-06-2004, 09:31 PM
try unplugging the EACV then take it for a spin

civicboy
19-06-2004, 12:51 AM

yeah it doeswhere is it located?

Civic Si
19-06-2004, 11:34 AM
I had the same problem wit my old 83' Lude...

Took it in to Scott's Honda wit problems when struggling up hills n stuff, took is back off them and it stalled every time when da car was idling! Came out worst than when it went in... :roll:

Found out it was da leads, that may possibly b ur problem...?

ECU-MAN
19-06-2004, 04:08 PM
the EACV should be under the air cleaner, remove the base plate and have a look.

mytoycivic
19-06-2004, 08:06 PM
had the same problem when i first bought my civic. all my problem was that the idle was set too low, start with that before you, or your friend go spending money cleaning carbies and all that...just a thought... 8)

traumatized
20-06-2004, 08:25 AM
had the same problem when i first bought my civic. all my problem was that the idle was set too low, start with that before you, or your friend go spending money cleaning carbies and all that...just a thought... 8)

i'm sure if this is the case for auto's or for the dual carby civic, but when the car is on park idling its aobut 700-800 i'll say but when its put in drive it drops to about 500... i think thats where the problem is when ur at the traffic lights your car is still on drive with your foot on the brake pedal and as i stated the ilde in drive is 500 is this too low? or is this normal?

traumatized
20-06-2004, 08:27 AM
I had the same problem wit my old 83' Lude...

Took it in to Scott's Honda wit problems when struggling up hills n stuff, took is back off them and it stalled every time when da car was idling! Came out worst than when it went in... :roll:

Found out it was da leads, that may possibly b ur problem...?

i'm pretty sure he just changed his leads... i'll dobule check with im when i see him later today, if he can make it to us (he rarely drives coss the car stalls on him too much)

mytoycivic
20-06-2004, 09:41 AM

i'm sure if this is the case for auto's or for the dual carby civic, but when the car is on park idling its aobut 700-800 i'll say but when its put in drive it drops to about 500... i think thats where the problem is when ur at the traffic lights your car is still on drive with your foot on the brake pedal and as i stated the ilde in drive is 500 is this too low? or is this normal?

i dont think that is normal... mine is dual carby manual, but just take it to a mechanic and ask them, i mean that's your best bet. i dont think they would charge you unless they had to spend a lot of time on it or taking it apart engine wise. it could be a couple of different things........