PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust mods

Bol
17-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Firstly, i know pretty much nothing about exhaust mods. But generally, do they increase flow (performance) or are they mainly for sound and looks? Would it be a suitable 1st mod or is it only going to see resuts after engine mods and intake etc.?

So what has everyone done and did it improve performance?

will_pop
18-06-2004, 04:03 PM
if only the muffler...
then that's pretty much for da look and sound .... ;)

vtecinaccord
19-06-2004, 11:36 AM
So far i have got CustomMandrel Bent 2.25 inch pipe with a magnaflow muffler on the back i have also just recived my Magnaflow Hogh Flow Cat converter and i am alos looking around at a set of headers to suit my car

h22a accord
19-06-2004, 03:35 PM
i started with a stock 94 f22b accord. 1st performance mod was an axle back 2.5" exhaust pipe with tanabe hyper medallion muffler, testing it with my seat of the pants road dyno it helped with upper mid range to top end power delivery. Was still reasonably quiet.

I then put on a simota CAI ( cold air induction/intake) and it benefited from from a torque increase from low revs all ther way to redline. Loads of induction noise especially when VTEC engages around 3 grand.

i then had the exhaust made to a full cat back 2.5" system, seemed to increase the top end power by a little bit. now my car had a considerabel exhaust note to it. Had it tested at 89db 3500rpm.

Then, i fit a h22a mota and the exhaust noise is waaaaaaaaaaaay louder. havnt had it tested but every one comments on how loud my car is. Im not sure if iduction roar has increased, if anything it sounds like it hasnt...either that or i cant hear it any more over the noise the exhaust makes.

thats my bit, draw your conclusions from that.

Dominik
20-06-2004, 04:24 PM
So is there any quantifyable evidence that the stock exhaust is too restrictive? (i.e. dynos etc)??

I seem to have mellowed since my days of wanting to set car alarms off by just driving past them... I am seriously considering just welding some VIP style tips onto the stock muffler - so i can get the fat look without the attention from the cops (my car will have enough problems with the height and tinting to worry about the exhaust too!)