PDA

View Full Version : Honda Australia officially scuttles Civic hatch - but Type-R is still a chance

jklo
17-02-2007, 11:10 AM
HONDA has confirmed that it will not introduce the current Civic five-door hatchback from Europe in Australia.

"We are not going to get the English Civic five-door hatchback in its current guise," Honda Australia Senior Director Lindsay Smalley told GoAuto.

A strong English currency against the Australian dollar, and problems meeting demand at the Swindon plant in England – the sole global source for all eighth-generation Civic hatchbacks – are being cited as the main reasons for its non-arrival Down Under.

A lack of a suitably powerful petrol engine and full automatic gearbox combination is another, as the 103kW 1.8-litre i-VTEC unit produces a relatively modest 174Nm of torque, and is mated to Honda’s i-Shift clutchless-manual transmission, similar to Alfa’s Selespeed set-up.

Furthermore, the European Civic hatchback is in fact built off the Jazz light-car platform, and so it is now being considered too small against the latest round of larger small cars, including this year’s all-new Toyota Corolla range.

One Honda insider revealed to GoAuto that a fully loaded British-built Civic i-Shift hatchback could nudge $70,000 by the time it lands in Australia, effectively rendering it unsaleable.

However, this does not necessarily mean that a Civic hatchback will not be offered over the next two years.

According to Honda Australia managing director and CEO Toshio Iwamoto, the three-door Civic Type-R might be released in Australia, as a limited-volume sports hatch.

The Type-R (left) uses a 2.0-litre i-VTEC engine that produces 147kW at 7800rpm and 192Nm at 5600rpm.

The Civic Type-R would occupy the same sector that the cult 1999 Integra Type R abandoned in 2001.

More intriguing is the hint of another Honda hatchback in the making.

Speculation is mounting that a low-cost ASEAN region five-door hatchback, to be built in either Japan or Thailand, may surface within the next 12 months.

Based on the current-generation Civic sedan, it will be a larger, lower-cost alternative to the smaller Civic hatchback from Europe, in much the same way that today’s Thai-built Accord VTi/V6 sedan is a cheaper alternative to the smaller and more sophisticated Accord Euro range from Japan.

Mr Iwamoto refused to comment on such a vehicle, but did say that the next-generation Civic hatchback, due from about 2010, may be built in Asia. He also revealed that Honda has a work in progress in its R&D department that might be suitable.

Mr Iwamoto admitted that he desperately wanted to offer a competitor to the Toyota Corolla hatchback.

"We are missing the Civic five-door," he said. "Fifty per cent of the small-car segment is the five-door hatch, and we are missing the product."

Source: http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/FF806AFEAE4F77C5CA257283000067D3

SPEEDCORE
19-02-2007, 03:16 PM
The Civic Type-R still has a chance?? :rolleyes:

At what? $100k AUD?

aaronng
19-02-2007, 03:25 PM
They should just make the 4-door CTR concept a production model and sell it to RHD countries. For countries that need a cheap price, make it in thailand with crate engines from Japan. Only problem I can think of is if whether production of the k20a/z3 can keep up with demand.

xtercii
19-02-2007, 03:29 PM
thought oz was never expecting the hatch to come anyway, and we've always entertained ourself that the type R has a good chance to pop up. My bet is no honda sports car for few years at least…it's hinted in the other thread anyway...

panda[cRx]
19-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Speculation is mounting that a low-cost ASEAN region five-door hatchback, to be built in either Japan or Thailand, may surface within the next 12 months.

have been hearing this for a while, only thing is we'd need to wait for the a plant for the civics to be built

Tofu
19-02-2007, 07:00 PM
But honestly, paying anything close to $50k for a "Civic" is laughable!

19-02-2007, 07:12 PM
yes too much

panda[cRx]
19-02-2007, 07:33 PM
they just said they are making a cheaper asian version so where are you pulling these BS $50k figures from?

they'll make it at a competitive price to it's competitors and i can almost guarantee it'll be better than anything else at similar cost (like most of the current honda range)

aaronng
19-02-2007, 07:43 PM
If they can release it at the same price as a Golf GTI, while being faster in the 1/4 mile, it's possible to actually put a foot into the prestige hot hatches. Remember, back when Honda last did the Type R, they were labeled boy-racer cars because the premium brands were not in this segment. Now that many luxury brands are making hot hatches, Honda can come back to familiar ground without having that negative labelling. Even boy racer parts like a shift light is common standard equipment in euro hot hatches.

jklo
19-02-2007, 07:46 PM
"One Honda insider revealed to GoAuto that a fully loaded British-built Civic i-Shift hatchback could nudge $70,000 by the time it lands in Australia, effectively rendering it unsaleable"

Highly doubt that Honda Australia will be decking their showrooms with any sport models anytime soon. As the article suggests, with a fully decked civic euro, it will top $70k. How are they going to sell?

EG30
19-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I reckon if they do end up bringing the CTR from the UK to AUST they would have to sell it for $34990 to $35990 ie very close to the price of the Clio sport. Too close or above the sensitive $40K threshold it's WRX territory. It's fine for the Mazda MPS to get sold in small nos as they have plenty of cooking versions Mazda 3's on the market so the MPS can afford to a be halo/hero model.

I'm sure if Honda bring the Civic CTR or 5 dr version they would want to sell them in decent volume instead of a niche model to make the service & spare parts infrastructure viable.

I would no doubt buy a CTR over the Gold Gti even if they are at the same pricepoint but most social climbers won't as the VW badge is very important to some.

Euro76
20-02-2007, 11:20 AM
I think Honda Aust should be considering bringing the CTR 4 door. I heard the Asian market will get it as well, and will be built in Thailand. Despite Australia free trade agreement with Thailand I think CTR 4 door can be brought here and sold it as limited amount at $40k each. Just IMO though

aaronng
20-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I think Honda Aust should be considering bringing the CTR 4 door. I heard the Asian market will get it as well, and will be built in Thailand. Despite Australia free trade agreement with Thailand I think CTR 4 door can be brought here and sold it as limited amount at $40k each. Just IMO though

I seriously hope that they source the 4-door CTR from Japan instead of Thailand if they could. How many of us would be willing to pay for a Thai CTR? It's just odd....

EG30
20-02-2007, 02:13 PM
If they at least bring the CTR in 4 door, even a Thai built car it would at least be a consolation prize for Honda enthusiasts. I rather see that car here than no car at all.

Of course the Jap built version would be much preferable.

**Ghost**
20-02-2007, 04:12 PM
damn... i was hoping the 5 door would ocme out so i wouldnt have to import an ep3

aaronng
20-02-2007, 04:21 PM
damn... i was hoping the 5 door would ocme out so i wouldnt have to import an ep3

5 door?!

Mikeyas
21-02-2007, 10:04 AM
What the hell is wrong with honda?

See the latest Motor magazine wiht a highlight on the new type R, asking the question "Makes you wonder what honda is playing at?"

All the other manufactures can build a car for a decent price and get it over here... There really is no excuse a large company like Honda cannot make it work...

Its the stupid "we want to be BMW or Merc" image they got going on.

Zdster
21-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I reckon if they do end up bringing the CTR from the UK to AUST they would have to sell it for $34990 to $35990 ie very close to the price of the Clio sport. Too close or above the sensitive $40K threshold it's WRX territory. It's fine for the Mazda MPS to get sold in small nos as they have plenty of cooking versions Mazda 3's on the market so the MPS can afford to a be halo/hero model.

As soon as it is in that price category it is smack hard up against the existing civic sport as well!

aaronng
21-02-2007, 10:29 AM
As soon as it is in that price category it is smack hard up against the existing civic sport as well!

Nah, it won't be in a similar category. Because the Sport has leather, sunroof and the auto gearbox. They can bring in the CTR at 36k (38k on road) and it'll be ok.

EG30
22-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Look on the positive side, the AU Dollar is at an all time high, even though not as high as we would like against the Euro and the British Pound.

The new CTR is now cheaper than to build than b4 with non Momo steering wheel, non Brembo brakes, non Recaro made sports seats and non titanium sports gear knob. They are being built in greater than ever numbers too over there. And having a torsion beam rear axle instead of indepent rear suspension makes it a lot cheaper to build as well.

Back when they first started building the EP3 CTR in the UK in the early 2000's the AUD was at an all time low against all other currencies and the ITR was being sold here so it was not feasible to bring it over at a price point close to or even above its bigger brother.

I will be surprised if they don't bring in a CTR of one version or another by the year's end. The motoring press won't forgive Honda Aust if they don't at least make a good effort to bring something to our shores; even if it means an almost Type R like the AUDM DC5R.

spoondc2
22-02-2007, 01:50 AM
They can bring in the CTR at 36k (38k on road) and it'll be ok.

I REALLY HOPE SO :(

BlitZ
22-02-2007, 08:51 AM
i wouldnt hit a 4 door CTR... 2 doors too many for a hot hatch...

I rather hit up and evo 8 or 9

but FARK.. if the CTR hatch 2 door comes ill do anything to get it..

ennavoli
22-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Nah, it won't be in a similar category. Because the Sport has leather, sunroof and the auto gearbox. They can bring in the CTR at 36k (38k on road) and it'll be ok.

Love to think it's true but it is highly unlikely at 38K is a bargain.

Mikeyas
22-02-2007, 05:03 PM
I think if it does come in, it will be priced at and be direct or just under competition with the golf r32:

These are around 60k

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/golf/images/r32_main.jpg

aaronng
22-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I think if it does come in, it will be priced at and be direct or just under competition with the golf r32:

These are around 60k

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/golf/images/r32_main.jpg

What's your source? The R32 is way above the league of the CTR. As much as I like Hondas, I don't think that because of VTEC they beat every other car out there. :p

The competition of the CTR is the GTI. Not the R32.

Mikeyas
22-02-2007, 05:46 PM
hahah source:P my head! i said i think!!

I only mean competition in terms of price.!! at 70k for standard and some how they make a cheaper version i think it may try cut in here..

But i know id buy the r32 before a 60k CTR anyday....

aaronng
22-02-2007, 08:03 PM
I see, you were assuming that the CTR would be 60k. My mistake.

EG30
22-02-2007, 11:32 PM
R32 is in different class. Apart from the price point, it's a heavier and fitted out with luxury equipment.

While the CTR is firmly in the hot hatch class, the R32 is in the "hyper-hatch" or "grown up hot hatch" glass with bigger six cyl with plenty of torque such as the 130i, 147 Gta and its sister car A3 3.2 quattro.

Mikeyas
23-02-2007, 09:45 AM
do agree, but the CTR looks like it might have to compete due to pricing reasons...

I.e. Person A walks into car yard and goes hmm 60 k... r32 or CTR...

aaronng
23-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Don't believe the way they came up with the 70k fully loaded figure. Over there in UK, an Accord Euro Sport costs AU$47,341. Over here the same car is $37,990. In the UK, the EP3 CTR was only AU$39,666. So the actual price of a CTR based on the difference between the UK Euro Sport and the UK CTR price is............AU$31,834

djgarv
23-02-2007, 10:14 PM
i was at the dealers on monday and i was told the CTR is due for an august release with a price in the low 40s

EG30
23-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Is that $low $40k's+ ORC or low $40k's on the road?

If you take the retail price of a CTR in the UK and multiply by the EX rate you can simply speculate it's going to be a $60K after duty etc. But Honda Aust won't be paying retail prices.

If the car is priced in the $50k's let alone $60K's they would prob only sell 20-30 qty a mth nationally instead of 100-200 qty per mth nationally or more if they price it in the mid to high $30ks mark. Can't see Honda Aust want to make the CTR such a super niche model, they have to pay for the marketing and sales/services/spare parts support to make it a sound business case.

Niche brand like Alfa Romeo can afford to market a Brera V6 at $85-90Ks on the road that is competing with its own very simliar GT coupe at similar $, as the whole brand is questionable in terms of viability anyway.....Honda Aust is a lot more pragmatic on the other hand.

djgarv
23-02-2007, 11:06 PM
i don't see how it can be in the 50s-60s given none of the type r integras were ever that much. to australians the ctr might be a holy grail that we don't mind overpaying for because we have been denied it for so long but at the end of the day it is just a ctr?

he was pretty vague about it...i didn't clarify with him whether the low 40s included on-road costs. i was just excited about what he said and my mind was already ticking about trading in the euro lol

aaronng
23-02-2007, 11:08 PM
i don't see how it can be in the 50s-60s given none of the type r integras were ever that much. to australians the ctr might be a holy grail that we don't mind overpaying for because we have been denied it for so long but at the end of the day it is just a ctr?

he was pretty vague about it...i didn't clarify with him whether the low 40s included on-road costs. i was just excited about what he said and my mind was already ticking about trading in the euro lol

It's all a guess, even to them as Honda Australia probably hasn't released info to dealers yet.

xtercii
24-02-2007, 12:04 AM
I believe nothing is definite for now, I've got a mate who works for Rick Damelian said the CTR might be coming to oz, but nothing is certain. He did, however, say Honda is bringing out a new batch of Euro Sports soon.

sendok
26-02-2007, 02:57 PM
I heard that it is possible to get the latest Civic Type R to Australia from Thailand. I forget where I read them tho. :D

but i think it will be heaps $$$ :(

aaronng
26-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I heard that it is possible to get the latest Civic Type R to Australia from Thailand. I forget where I read them tho. :D

but i think it will be heaps $$$ :(

But it's not even made in Thailand yet. :)

IS250
02-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Type R has been confirmed for OZ! Price should be around $40,000.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/MiniSite/MiniSiteArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=36543&vf=28&MiniSiteID=4

ennavoli
02-03-2007, 11:08 AM
http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/News/Honda+to+Bring+Civic+Type+R+Down+Under

At 40K, not sure whether it's gonna do well, personally I am not a fan of the shape.

xtercii
02-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I was hoping for the sedan type r to come down, but guess we should be happy that the type r is making an appearance in oz.

26ounce
02-03-2007, 12:01 PM
http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/News/Honda+to+Bring+Civic+Type+R+Down+Under

At 40K, not sure whether it's gonna do well, personally I am not a fan of the shape.

I don't mind the shape, but yeah, will be interesting to see how it goes in what is currently a very competitive area. Sadly, my guess it will struggle against the turbo charged competition.

aaronng
02-03-2007, 12:11 PM
42k... ouch. You'll be sure to see a 45k OTR price then. Well, it is still about the same as the GTI OTR, similar power but the CTR will handle just as good, be more reliable and has a more bling interior (love the rpm lights!)

industrie
02-03-2007, 01:23 PM
yeah definately agree with you there...the car shape will grow on people...and honda knew they were lacking in the hatch department...as all its competitors have a car in that segment of the market...does it have brembo's? 18 inch wheels?? recaros?? yeah it looks good from what ive seen on videos...

xtercii
02-03-2007, 01:25 PM
no recaro no brembo no momo

ennavoli
02-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Only the JDM version has that.

The UK version always lack the goodies the JDM ones have.

no recaro no brembo no momo

aaronng
02-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Yup, that's why I prefer the JDM. Eventhough it is the 4-door, it would be tuned to handle better than the UKDM one as the Japs always have to have the best. (also the 4-door gets the 162kW engine)

ennavoli
02-03-2007, 01:54 PM
One point to note is that for this UK civic type r, it is not using the proven independent rear suspension of the previous type R but has a torsion beam suspension at the back. I suspect the handling might suffer as torsion beam does not have the progressive rates as independent suspension.

I wonder did they change it to create more cabin space at the rear?

Let's wait and see. :cool:

Chris_F
02-03-2007, 01:55 PM
i wasn't aware that this model civic type R was being sold in japan?

i think 42k + on roads is a respectable price... i think honda Australia would have worked hard to get it over here for that price! remember that thread when we were asked how much we'd pay? 40k wasn't too far off what people would pay.

another cool thing for euro owners and other ppl that have airbags in their seats... these civic type R bucket seats could be swapped in legally because they have airbags too ;)

ennavoli
02-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Yup, that's why I prefer the JDM. Eventhough it is the 4-door, it would be tuned to handle better than the UKDM one as the Japs always have to have the best. (also the 4-door gets the 162kW engine)

Haha, exactly. But this JDM version just looks like a souped up version of a normal sports sedan with spoilers, body kit, brembos etc! Of course it still looks OK but it isn't as unique as the EP3 civic, which is my favourite. But come on mate, type R has got to be 2 doors doesn't it? :p

Are you considering getting this one? Your EURO is good enough.

aaronng
02-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Haha, exactly. But this JDM version just looks like a souped up version of a normal sports sedan with spoilers, body kit, brembos etc! Of course it still looks OK but it isn't as unique as the EP3 civic, which is my favourite. But come on mate, type R has got to be 2 doors doesn't it? :p

Are you considering getting this one? Your EURO is good enough.

It's unique only because the EP3 never came to Australia. If it was complied back in 2002 and sold here as a regular grey import, you wouldn't be thinking that it was special now.

And, there was a 4-door ITR before.

Euro is a family car. It is not a sports/sporty car.

matt
02-03-2007, 02:42 PM
i wonder if people will carry on calling this a 'fake r' like they did with the DC5R, givin it missing even more fruit than even the dc5r...

industrie
02-03-2007, 02:45 PM
i dont think this is a fake R, its not going to be detuned or anything its the european version..just not JDM...

EG30
02-03-2007, 04:00 PM
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/BEBC6995073C928BCA257291001B1DEC

according to goauto it will be here in 3 mths! no word on the price though.

air23box
03-03-2007, 02:27 AM
we can see it in Melbourne motor show anyway.....will go on sell about mid year...price is around 40k mark.....EP3 will be on road about oct....depends on the process of compliance....and if you are lucky enough....you can get one in around 25k mark.......

sitta
03-03-2007, 03:03 PM
i would say from 38k and i will definitely buy it!!! have been waiting for this for a long time

tune2look
03-03-2007, 09:28 PM
i wouldnt hit a 4 door CTR... 2 doors too many for a hot hatch...

I rather hit up and evo 8 or 9

but FARK.. if the CTR hatch 2 door comes ill do anything to get it..

WORD!!!!!

I would get the CTR over anything else in same price range.
If we had CTR from its first debut, then my decision could differ... but ATM CTR ATW~

tanalasta
03-03-2007, 10:16 PM
http://www.civictyper.com.au/

It's official Australia are getting the Type-R Civic hatch in a few months.

industrie
03-03-2007, 11:40 PM
ive been checking out the specs...i definately am interested in purchasing this car...mmmmmmmm

yfin
04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Euro is a family car. It is not a sports/sporty car.

Honda wouldn't agree with that.

Dxs
04-03-2007, 09:42 AM
what's the deal with its rear sussy?

aaronng
04-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda wouldn't agree with that.

If it was a sporty car, why would they come out with a "Sports" model? Hehe

Chris_F
04-03-2007, 11:11 PM
hahaha i think its a sporty sedan, just like the widebody accord is a luxury sedan.

neither is a true sports car or a true luxury car but they are biased toward that end.

bring on the CTR i say... honda needs something at least a little bit exciting in Australia.

preludacris
04-03-2007, 11:47 PM
If it was a sporty car, why would they come out with a "Sports" model? Hehe

lol and dont forget the jdm Type R version

even tho this new CTR seems slightly watered down. im pretty happy its coming to Aus, actually im Extremely happy! its just a UK version i guess. at least its something

btw, it IS growing on me already , quite a bit. I actually like the front of it . the back is just a bit wack

industrie - can you post ur avatar pic up ? it looks like a champion white version?

industrie
05-03-2007, 08:43 AM
hey heres the link for all civic type R pictures: the CW looks hot!

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=honda+civic+type+R+-+pictures&svnum=10&hl=en&start=21&sa=N

Tarks
13-03-2007, 05:56 PM
i got to check this out 2day and its actually not too bad... i never liked it at first but once u see it, it kinda grows on u lol

TurBIce
13-03-2007, 06:18 PM
where did u go to check it out?
i'll be there tomorrow at CC anyways

Tarks
13-03-2007, 06:38 PM
honda headquarters.. im workin there 2moro so we got to check out the cars 2day

aaronng
13-03-2007, 08:13 PM
honda headquarters.. im workin there 2moro so we got to check out the cars 2day

Could you bring back the CTR knob for me?

Tarks
13-03-2007, 08:14 PM
hahahaha i want it for myself! its nice

UNLS1
14-03-2007, 10:38 AM
i sat in the ctr at the motor show! i love it

preludacris
16-03-2007, 12:56 AM
how did you sit in it ? it was on the stand.. :S did they let u ? or u just jump in .. haha

UNLS1
19-03-2007, 09:06 AM
how did you sit in it ? it was on the stand.. :S did they let u ? or u just jump in .. haha

nah i sat in it when the show closed, i was workin on the stand