PDA

View Full Version : steering shuttering when brakes are hit above 100km/h

anexiole
17-02-2007, 10:03 PM
hi guys

i just got my Euro and I changed from the stock 16 inch rims to the stock 17 inch honda rims. Got new tyres too( very broke).
Seems they did an alignment and balancing too.

When I drive above 100km/h, say 140km/h and i put my foot on the brakes and bring the speed down to say 100km/h, the brake pedal vibrates and the worst is the steering...
I suspected it to be a problem with the disc rotors in the front but i ran my fingers on the surface and it was as smooth as ever....

what could be the problem?
The car has 60,000km on it and still under extended warranty. Do you think honda would fix it under warranty?

thansk :)

BlitZ
17-02-2007, 10:20 PM
brake disc shudder...

remove disc and get the machined..

Did you run into any large puddles lately?

$12 if u can remove yourself

anexiole
17-02-2007, 10:31 PM
brake disc shudder...

remove disc and get the machined..

Did you run into any large puddles lately?

$12 if u can remove yourself

hello
no i didn't run into any puddles lately....

hmmmm you said it needed machining.. Well, i ran my fingers on the disc rotors and they were smooth as....

hhmmmm what does "$12 if u can remove yourself" mean?

SiReal
17-02-2007, 11:39 PM
of course it feels smooth. but whether it is flat is another matter.

ususally it is a warped disc. you will have to get a pro to fix it up for you.

EG5[KRT]
18-02-2007, 12:05 AM
you have brake shudder my friend :D usually at high speeds the feeling of the rotor being warped is minimal.. but if u have shudder at around 60km then ur rotor is warped more so that u can feel with your hand

depending where you are u can get the rotors machined for about $25 +

id check ur pads as well

also check the run out on your hub..

if the car is still under warranty tell them to check the run out on ur hub then c if the rotor is still within legal specification, machine the front rotors.. and then chamfer and deglaze the pads...

BlitZ
18-02-2007, 08:22 AM
hello
no i didn't run into any puddles lately....

hmmmm you said it needed machining.. Well, i ran my fingers on the disc rotors and they were smooth as....

hhmmmm what does "$12 if u can remove yourself" mean?

When the disc is warped.. its still smooth..
normally happens when u run into puddles (it heats up really hot and then when u run into a puddle it cools and distorts the dics)..

your disc shall remain smooth as a babies bum as the grooves are caused by pads eatting away at it.

oh it costs $12 to get a pair of disc machined at mekong auto spares..

It also could be but alot less likily is a broken hub.. not likily for a 60000km car unless pranged into somthing recently..

aaronng
18-02-2007, 10:52 AM
How new is your car? If it is under warranty, let the dealer take care of it.

panda[cRx]
18-02-2007, 11:09 PM
How new is your car? If it is under warranty, let the dealer take care of it.

there have been a few euros with brake shudder problems so your dealer MIGHT do it under warranty. the only issue is it normally happens with less kms on the clock.
to rectify the problem they would normally replace the pads and do a front disc machine. however as you have 60k on your pads they are a fair way thru their average life expectancy so your dealer might only partially cover it under warranty. u might only need to pay for the pads (parts only) or maybe the with the labour for the pad change included and the disc machine for free.

so yeah it would certainly be a good idea to run it by your dealer, it could save u a few bucks

oh it costs $12 to get a pair of disc machined at mekong auto spares..

$12 ?? normally costs more than that to machine a pair of discs. if they're only charging that much i'd have to question the quality of the machine. if the machine isn't done right you'll end up with more problems

anexiole
19-02-2007, 06:59 AM
yep, good morning. I think what you say is right.. I have just rung John Blair and it seems they will not cover the machining under warranty. Well, yeah i will just send it in as it has to be done.
Guys, sorry to ask but just how good are the OEM pads for occassional spirited driving...

;1072939']there have been a few euros with brake shudder problems so your dealer MIGHT do it under warranty. the only issue is it normally happens with less kms on the clock.
to rectify the problem they would normally replace the pads and do a front disc machine. however as you have 60k on your pads they are a fair way thru their average life expectancy so your dealer might only partially cover it under warranty. u might only need to pay for the pads (parts only) or maybe the with the labour for the pad change included and the disc machine for free.

so yeah it would certainly be a good idea to run it by your dealer, it could save u a few bucks

$12 ?? normally costs more than that to machine a pair of discs. if they're only charging that much i'd have to question the quality of the machine. if the machine isn't done right you'll end up with more problems

weeman
19-02-2007, 08:41 AM
i get the same thing with my integra, it's got 200,000+ on the clock but i just recently had my pads changed and they said the disks dont need machining, should i just get them machined anyway cause it was shuddering when braking from 140km/h before i had the pads changed

aaronng
19-02-2007, 08:51 AM
yep, good morning. I think what you say is right.. I have just rung John Blair and it seems they will not cover the machining under warranty. Well, yeah i will just send it in as it has to be done.
Guys, sorry to ask but just how good are the OEM pads for occassional spirited driving...

Try braking hard from 110 down to 60, and then driving around to cool the discs off. That fixes the shuddering if it is caused by deposits from the brake pad.

junglist35
19-02-2007, 10:04 AM
brake rotors are out-of-round.......mic'em and see if they can be turned......you should find someone with a clamp and guage set-up and see if they are more than .003-.005 out-of round.......good luck....

BlitZ
19-02-2007, 10:30 AM
;1072939']

haahah.. not at mekong.. its asian man.. cheap as chips..

everyone from the west goes there..

All that is required is a lathe.. its a very very simple procedure..

I use to go to mekong, until my dad bought a lathe.. i do it at home now

Drew
19-02-2007, 06:27 PM
You get what you pay for; keep that in mind when you get anything done to your car...

anexiole
19-02-2007, 09:19 PM
You get what you pay for; keep that in mind when you get anything done to your car...

true. Agreed:)

EG30
20-02-2007, 07:58 AM
$12/pr bargain price indeed, can;t argue with that.

Cost me $30 for the pair here in Perth even at my fren's brake shop, so if the discs are cheap anyway like my ED I bought new RDA discs at $30 each instead. I too have steering vibration under brakes, will find out if the discs are the culprits soon.

anexiole
20-02-2007, 12:01 PM
hey guys,
hello. I got the car into Yarra Honda this morning and picked her up an hour ago. Well, no more issue as I can see. John Blair wanted $110 but I got it for $75 over in Yarra Honda,Vic. Costed a bit more than any mechanic quotes but yeah, rather get it done by manufacturer.

The front disc rotors were machined and the hub was good as gold.

Thank you all for your help.

cheers.

panda[cRx]
20-02-2007, 10:40 PM
john blair wanted $110 just for a disc machine?

i'm guessing they'd do 'on-car' machining, in which all they'd need to do is dismantle the front brakes

a bit pricey